Pukkelpop 2018

DDave

4 hours ago, DiscothequeDave said:

First name on the Pukkelpop teamsheet for 2019, without doubt.

You can say that again!!

Tbf I think they've earned their spurs and probably warrant a (joint) headline slot as much as some of the others we've had in recent years (Alt-J, Bastille, ID, TWOD etc spring to mind). They're very popular and that's what the Main is all about now really.

6 hours ago, Semprini said:

Probably not a big deal for most of you but had confirmation tonight that we'll definitely be getting some new late night Castello DJs.

Good to hear. Hopefully Etienne Dear Crecy again.

I'm starting to think it will be some names from Dour. From what I can see there's no crossover between the two festivals and there's a load of Pukkelpop type names on it, particularly to fill the remaining Dance Hall (Diplo, Soulwax etc) and Castello names (Black Madonna, Fatima Yahama etc) 

Edited by DiscothequeDave

1 hour ago, Death By Sexy said:

About Post Malone: one month ago, for a brief moment, there were some unannounced tour dates on the site of Post Malone.

Lowlands was on it, Pukkelpop wasn't.

35227217_1668953539892212_28089011727006

This would make sense. Lowlands still have a large-ish gap to fill going by the graphics on the website, so Post Malone for the Saturday at PKP and the Sunday at Lowlands?  Not sure why they (Lowlands) wouldn't have announced it by now though.

Edit - that image doesn't come up on my work PC. just checked it on my phone. That's him ruled out then. Great news!

8 hours ago, Semprini said:

Probably not a big deal for most of you but had confirmation tonight that we'll definitely be getting some new late night Castello DJs.

With guitar music, which will please some people, and disappoint others

https://www.pukkelpop.be/nl/nieuws/nieuw-afterparty-concept-voor-rockfanaten-underground/30/

Stijn Van de Voorde , known for himself and Studio Brussel, will play on Wednesday, August 15 from 2 am to 4 am. 

Eppo Janssen (Pukkelpopprogrammator) runs Thursday 16 August from 1:30 am to 4:00 am. 

Goe Vur In Den Otto run Friday, August 17 from 2:30 am to 4:00 am. 
Bram Willems (Studio Brussel) closes the last Underground on Saturday 18 August from 1:30 am to 4:00 am.

7 hours ago, DiscothequeDave said:

With guitar music, which will please some people, and disappoint others

They do something similar at Lowlands but in the main tent Alpha. Each night has a loose theme (there's usually a Britpop one) but it's just a big indie disco really. Be interesting to see how this goes down as some of the dance DJs that have played the Castello have had very small crowds - MK a couple of years ago springs to mind as there were less than 100 people in the tent when I went in.

Having a  read of the Mad Cool thread just makes you appreciate just how well organised Pukkelpop is, year after year. I'd rather take a not so good line up with decent organisation than a decent line up with not so good organisation.

33 days to go!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

On 7/12/2018 at 12:00 AM, Semprini said:

You can say that again!!

Tbf I think they've earned their spurs and probably warrant a (joint) headline slot as much as some of the others we've had in recent years (Alt-J, Bastille, ID, TWOD etc spring to mind). They're very popular and that's what the Main is all about now really.

I'd add Florence and the Machine to that team sheet an all (yes, I know I said it about this year) Both them and Twenty One Pilots are playing Belgium the same week as each other in March which is prime Pukkelpop first announcement territory. Both Kendrick and AF followed the same pattern this year.

27 minutes ago, DiscothequeDave said:

Hard to gauge where that is with there being nothing in the field. I did read that they'd chopped the line of trees down that faced the main stage a few months ago, so they won't be there this year.

That's correct. They are gone. The containers at the second picture are at the side of the main stage. Picture is taken from the street between the site and camping A (I still call it camping A). 

On 7/15/2018 at 11:37 AM, DiscothequeDave said:

I'd add Florence and the Machine to that team sheet an all (yes, I know I said it about this year) Both them and Twenty One Pilots are playing Belgium the same week as each other in March which is prime Pukkelpop first announcement territory. Both Kendrick and AF followed the same pattern this year.

Maybe if we bump into the powers that be we'll have to pass on our predictions for next year!! ;o)

Thanks for the photos @Death By Sexy! Saw some on Facebook today from the official account (and also from a friend who's involved) and they both described it as ' the first day on site'?!? One pic had what looked like the frame of a tent/stage in the background along with quite a lot of other heavy equipment so definitely seemed like more than a days worth of work had been completed? 

11 hours ago, Semprini said:

Maybe if we bump into the powers that be we'll have to pass on our predictions for next year!! ;o)

Thanks for the photos @Death By Sexy! Saw some on Facebook today from the official account (and also from a friend who's involved) and they both described it as ' the first day on site'?!? One pic had what looked like the frame of a tent/stage in the background along with quite a lot of other heavy equipment so definitely seemed like more than a days worth of work had been completed? 

It is the first day. The framework of the tent on the picture is a tent for the crew. Just a place to rest and eat I guess. Beside the containers, the field is empty at this moment. The Pukkelpop letters from the top of the entrance are already delivered though.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Death By Sexy said:

The stages will be placed differently this year. Again.

The Castello and The Lift will be at the side of the road. The Club will be placed somewhere else I guess.

Source: https://www.tvl.be/nieuws/opbouw-van-pukkelpop-is-van-start-gegaan-62410

So the lift I'm guessing will be facing the main stage where the Wablief? stage is on the image below or where the Shelter is and the Club stage maybe moving back to where it was behind the Marquee? think it worked well a couple of years ago so people could move between the two very easily. 

Image result for pukkelpop 2016 map

The Castello was a lot better when it was next to the Petit Bazar too so hopefully will be put back there, or maybe where the lift was on the map above. 

Just noticed they're selling VIP tickets this year albeit through a third party for what I think is the first time this year. Hardly seems worth it for what you get tbh https://hospitality.be/events/pukkelpop-2018

1 hour ago, DiscothequeDave said:

So the lift I'm guessing will be facing the main stage where the Wablief? stage is on the image below or where the Shelter is and the Club stage maybe moving back to where it was behind the Marquee? think it worked well a couple of years ago so people could move between the two very easily. 

Image result for pukkelpop 2016 map

The Castello was a lot better when it was next to the Petit Bazar too so hopefully will be put back there, or maybe where the lift was on the map above. 

Just noticed they're selling VIP tickets this year albeit through a third party for what I think is the first time this year. Hardly seems worth it for what you get tbh https://hospitality.be/events/pukkelpop-2018

I am pretty sure there is a VIP at the dance site for ages.

35 minutes ago, TheNewUnion said:

I've been at NOS Alive in Lisbon for a week, can I assume we are still yet to learn who is going to fill the lineup gaps we've still got?

Things I observed at NOS: Pearl Jam would me a mint headliner for Pukkelpop (for any festival really).

I really have no fucking clue who the remaining names could be. There are some rather big names (saturday main stage, friday dance hall) but I really don't know who it could be. 

I am not a fan of Pearl Jam, but their precense would be massive for pukkelpop. 

1 hour ago, TheNewUnion said:

I've been at NOS Alive in Lisbon for a week, can I assume we are still yet to learn who is going to fill the lineup gaps we've still got?

Yep, main ones being the Saturday sub,  the main stage slot before NERD on the Friday and a big slot to fill in the Dance Hall on the same day. 

James Bay has got to be the favourite for the sub slot, otherwise it could be anyone really. These are on tour the same week as Pukkelop and are about the right size  -  Kaleo, Lykke Li, Franz Ferdinand, Lana Del Rey, Sum 41, Phoenix . I've put them in order of the likelihood of it being them (in my opinion) Could be someone who's not around of course (I'd be looking at Lorde if I was the organisers). Would be nice if the bookers show a bit of imagination, splash a bit of cash and give us a nice surprise (VW!)

Still a slim chance Chic could do the spot before NERD.

Can see Diplo & Mark Ronson or Gorgon City in the Dance Hall spot, unless Soulwax turn up again.

So to summarise, expect Snow Patrol, Deus, Sigma and Chase and Fucking Status in the last lot of names.

• Upvote 1

Soulwax got announced for a gig at Lokerse Feesten, I think they're pretty much out. In the previous years they used to announce some names right after or even during Rock Werchter, now that that's not happening I can't really imagine those last few names being of the bill of RW because they would've been announced by now right?

5 minutes ago, arcuse said:

Soulwax got announced for a gig at Lokerse Feesten, I think they're pretty much out. In the previous years they used to announce some names right after or even during Rock Werchter, now that that's not happening I can't really imagine those last few names being of the bill of RW because they would've been announced by now right?

Yeah that'd be them out then. RW and Dour have now passed so who knows what they're waiting for. I'd imagine they'll want all of the last of the 'big' names to be announced altogether to sway anyone who's still half thinking of going. 

Can't be much longer now.