Pukkelpop 2018

DDave

edited the clashfinder with the names on the right stage: https:///s/pkp2018

If my guesses are somewhat correct then we'll get another 24 (7/8/9) names around June (right before Rock Werchter probably). Both Friday and Saturday need some more Mainstage bands (maybe some bands from RW as late additions?), so those will be the biggest names from the bunch I reckon and maybe a DJ for the Saturday, though I feel like they'd stretch out Tiga, Kölsch and the B2B set so they don't need another name.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, arcuse said:

edited the clashfinder with the names on the right stage: https:///s/pkp2018

If my guesses are somewhat correct then we'll get another 24 (7/8/9) names around June (right before Rock Werchter probably). Both Friday and Saturday need some more Mainstage bands (maybe some bands from RW as late additions?), so those will be the biggest names from the bunch I reckon and maybe a DJ for the Saturday, though I feel like they'd stretch out Tiga, Kölsch and the B2B set so they don't need another name.

Thanks Arcuse. Much appreciated. Can't see many more big names to be added, if any. Interesting how they've gone heavy on the Belgian names early this year, and a lot of them high up the bill. 

Edit - think you're right with the Castello for the last night. Am surprised Black Angels are in there at all but they should be finishing with a more DJ based couple of sets as per usual. Always a good way to end the festival in there. Dusky, Tensnake and Etienne De Crecy were superb a few years ago.

Edited by DiscothequeDave

Some names in the new batch I'd definitely go watch tbh. Some exclusions of predicted names are odd though (De La Soul!).

Read on Humo's website (a sponsor) that the booth lineup on saturday is curated by Faisal again. Should have some interesting DJ's then that I still have to check out. Last year I was probably the most drunk I've ever been in my life and just chilled in the grass behind the booth. This year I want to be a bit more active when Faisal is on. One of my favorite Belgian DJ's.

The announcement mail mentions 'special projects' still to be announced. Please let it be Despacio...

3 minutes ago, TheKiewitGuy said:

Some names in the new batch I'd definitely go watch tbh. Some exclusions of predicted names are odd though (De La Soul!).

Read on Humo's website (a sponsor) that the booth lineup on saturday is curated by Faisal again. Should have some interesting DJ's then that I still have to check out. Last year I was probably the most drunk I've ever been in my life and just chilled in the grass behind the booth. This year I want to be a bit more active when Faisal is on. One of my favorite Belgian DJ's.

The announcement mail mentions 'special projects' still to be announced. Please let it be Despacio...

Think De La Soul may have been added to Lowlands as a side note to performing with Gorillaz. 

Despacio would sort my weekend out. I'd even cancel karaoke for it. 

2 hours ago, SilverLining said:

Really struggling to justify going on an about 15% strong line up, any other justifiable options bar Green Man roughly around the same time that anyone could point me to? 

Can't see why Green man would be a much better option than Pukkelpop at this moment. But I can relate to your struggle. By the looks things are going/evolving at pkp, this will probably be my last year

3 minutes ago, visdave34 said:

Lowlands

nah. Very similar line-ups.  Lowlands has got Gorillaz vs Arcade Fire. The only other big difference imo is Patti Smith. Such a shame she isn't on the PKP-bill. Was brilliant at werchter couple of years ago. Although Lowlands has got Richie Hawtin, Pkp has the edge this year on solid techno artists with Joyhauser, Kölsch, Marcel Dettmann, Nina Kraviz ...and Richie played PKP last year. I'm not hoping but maybe wel'll get a couple of decent Rock Werchter-names in the last batch of names. That won't make it a great line-up, but still...comparing with ohter festivals around the same period... isn't soo much worse. 

24 minutes ago, DaveRSV4 said:

Can't see why Green man would be a much better option than Pukkelpop at this moment. But I can relate to your struggle. By the looks things are going/evolving at pkp, this will probably be my last year

Only reason is it has a few undercard acts that PKP doesn't who I would want to see, we could also drive there saving flight costs, having to fly our tents and all that over and lugging them about Belgium is expensive/tiring. 

More of us are keen on UK based fests out our group so even if the line-up isn't stacked its still got most of the names i'd see at PKP anyway :)!

36 minutes ago, DaveRSV4 said:

nah. Very similar line-ups.  Lowlands has got Gorillaz vs Arcade Fire. The only other big difference imo is Patti Smith. Such a shame she isn't on the PKP-bill. Was brilliant at werchter couple of years ago. Although Lowlands has got Richie Hawtin, Pkp has the edge this year on solid techno artists with Joyhauser, Kölsch, Marcel Dettmann, Nina Kraviz ...and Richie played PKP last year. I'm not hoping but maybe wel'll get a couple of decent Rock Werchter-names in the last batch of names. That won't make it a great line-up, but still...comparing with ohter festivals around the same period... isn't soo much worse. 

Still a chance AF will be announced for Lowlands, they've still a biggish space to fill, going off the layout though it looks like someone on the same level as James Bay.

Although we've booked the outgoing flight and have reserved rooms I'm also looking around for a better option. The one thing I'm definitely not doing is paying full whack for this if we do end up going. Managed to get a cheaper ticket last year and will be looking to do the same this time.

• Like 1

Hey @arcuse Just noticed a couple of things in the Clashfinder you did.

The Wombats are on twice and Justice/Roisin Murphy need swapping over. Looks like West Thebarton are closing the club stage on the last day which I find amazing to be honest. Not sure if it's changed or not since the new names were released but I'm surprised Justice isn't closing the Marquee as well, especially with the size of their stage set up.

The feedback since the new names has been 99% negative on all social media platforms. Lots of people either not going for the first time in years or making this year their last one. People on the festileaks forum actually wishing the organisers have a really bad year in terms of sales. Main consensus is too many unknown names and mainly how bad the Friday is. Sadly that's the day that looks pretty full on most stages. Looks beyond saving.

Just hope the organisers take proper note of the feedback and do something drastic, like book some decent, established bands.

25 minutes ago, DiscothequeDave said:

Hey @arcuse Just noticed a couple of things in the Clashfinder you did.

The Wombats are on twice and Justice/Roisin Murphy need swapping over. Looks like West Thebarton are closing the club stage on the last day which I find amazing to be honest. Not sure if it's changed or not since the new names were released but I'm surprised Justice isn't closing the Marquee as well, especially with the size of their stage set up.

The feedback since the new names has been 99% negative on all social media platforms. Lots of people either not going for the first time in years or making this year their last one. People on the festileaks forum actually wishing the organisers have a really bad year in terms of sales. Main consensus is too many unknown names and mainly how bad the Friday is. Sadly that's the day that looks pretty full on most stages. Looks beyond saving.

Just hope the organisers take proper note of the feedback and do something drastic, like book some decent, established bands.

Noted and changing! Weird placement of Justice because now they're clashing with Vitalic aswell who makes similar kind of music (I think?). Also weird that they've 8 names in the Club that day which sticks out in comparison to other days and to last year.. 

I'm certainly one of those but my critique isn't necessarily at the small unknown names but rather at the lack of good big names. Fleet Foxes is around the corner, Patti Smith got booked 3x at Ancienne Belgique, Lykke Li is going to be back with new work and there are several other big/established names that are just missing. PKP used to be almost known for their crazy boiler line up but with bookins like Ilse Liebens, Joyhauser, Friction etc and the other half already been on the line up in the last couple of years (think Charlotte De Witte, Sub Focus, A-Trak, Tiga, Hazard, GUV etc) I feel like they just did whatever this year on that part aswell which is a shame. Look at SW4, Creamfields or what Dekmantel have to offer and I'm actually questioning their booking dude..

Keep in mind that they upped the price for 6€ and an unnecessarily raise of the camping to €25.

The Friday looks to be targetting the audience they used to target with names as Amenra, Incubus and Yungblud in the Marquee which is really sad to see because you actually see where they wanna get the money from. Friday and Saturday Mainstage look like something V Festival would come with if they'd be still around with what's announced so far (no, Kendrick doesn't make up for the shit they put on there so far).

I think they're to far gone to change from what they've become; I mean honestly, how can you say that you're an alternative festival targetting smaller and upcoming bands when you pay the most attention to who's on the top of your line up (just take a look at their socials and you'll see what I mean) and booking artists who just get blasted through the radio all year. Sure, those bands are there to move tickets but those shouldn't be the sole reason people should go to Pukkelpop and I think that's where they're going wrong.

I hope they stick their heads together after this year because this is becoming a huge mess lol and I seriously hope they fix what they gotta fix.

• Like 1

So, i made an experiment and imagined to make a personal schedule out of the @arcuse clashfinder...

Looking at it this way...it doesn't seem bad to me anymore...it just needs 1 or 2 names i really like (Mitski? Japanese Breakfast?)

@arcuse do you really think there are so few spots left to fill? :( I thought we were expecting something like 20-30 names to complete the lineup...

DAY 1

Phoebe Bridgers

Unknown Mortal Orchestra

Superorganism

Grizzly Bear

James Holden

The War on Drugs

Bonobo

Arcade Fire

DAY 2

Sudan Archives

Riton and Ka-Loh

John Maus

Sophie

Sons of Kemet

Rhye

Todd Terje

DAY 3

The Joy Formidable

Marlon Williams

Confidence Man

Noname

Gogo Penguin

Sleaford mods

King Gizzard

Cigarettes after sex

Roysin Murphy

Kendrick Lamar

I have a question for you.

Take a look at Snail Mail. She just expanded her european tour: 17/08 she is at the Green Man Festival, 20/08 she's in Antwerp.

Saturday she could be at Pukkelpop, and it's the typical small act with a record coming out in a month (probably with good reviews) that seems perfectly fit for Pukkelpop.

So why don't they book her? The fact she is playing near the festival in the same week...is it usually a problem?

So Deadmau5 got announced for Lokerse Feesten which would've been an excellent Mainstage closer (just like The Prodigy), another missed opportunity to give the line up a little bit more strength imo. Weird that such artists got no place on the line up anymore.

58 minutes ago, DiscothequeDave said:

87% of Lowlands tickets have been sold. Be interesting to see how many Pukkelpop have shifted.

That line-up somehow gets big praise in comparisson to PKP, but there are barely any significant differences. Not enough to warrant shitting on PKP.