Pukkelpop 2018

DDave

Guns n Roses looking like original lineup set to reform, almost certainly not playing PKP, but would be interesting if they did

Ignore all of that, read the article properly and I'm talking crap. 

Edited by TheNewUnion
I'm an idiot

Florence is not really my thing but agree her being added would go some way towards 'saving' Friday.

Main doubt I have is she was announced a while back for Melt so it's no secret she's doing shows. In that sense I don't think the release of a new album is reason to delay news of her playing PKP? Maybe she wasn't initially on their radar but following the backlash they've been looking at all possible options to bolster the line up?

This delay and relative silence on social media does seem odd but tbh I'm way past trying to work out what they're up to!! Danger of course is the longer they leave it the more the anticipation and hype builds up and that often results in people feeling disappointed when the news does finally drop and there's no 'wow' factor (which is likely to be the case as we know virtually all the names that are around and available).   

26 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

Hoping for a great batch after the disappointing first round. Patti Smith and De La Soul are around. And dEUS would be a great marquee headliner. Julia Holter, John Grant, US Girls, MIA, Vampire Weekend and Suede would be nice. More names in that vein...please... And something major (main stage, marquee head) still feels absent on that Friday. 

Patti Smith is playing 3 exclusive Brussels shows in August.

11 minutes ago, TheKiewitGuy said:

Am I the only one who thinks referring to the leak yet again is just being petty at this point? Like, just let it go :P

Maybe they are trying to communicate that their strategy wasn't to post one disappointing big announce but to add names progressively until the end of April and then just continue in May...

I think they are viewing that leak as more harmful than we think...and i sort of understand...let's see if they really have a lot of good stuff to announce...

(Now i'm worried they changed plans and put all their money on one big act...i would like to see more small names coming from Green Man and End of the Road...)

So, looks to me (assuming the stages stay the same) it'll be something like - 

Thursday - Think we're done on the main stage and virtually all the boiler is done, maybe one more. Think most of the names will be for the club and Dance Hall. Looks to me like there may be one Marquee headliner to come between Grizzly Bear and Bonobo. it could turn out to be a belter of a day with the right names.

Friday - Potentially a big name to come, depends on what time NERD play, you'd think it would have been NERD / Travis Scott / OATW but they may feel the need to put someone in between NERD and Travis Scott or in between Travis Scott and OATW. Can't see any of the three playing for more than an hour so there's definitely scope for it time wise. Florence definitely the favourite for me. 

As for the Marquee, hopefully a headliner, a smaller band before Incubus and a fairly dance-y closer to come. Should be a few names for the Dance Hall as well. If all else fails hopefully we'll get some interesting names for the lift.

Saturday - Again, potentially a whole evening of Marquee bands to come, depending on where Justice play. Probably one more on the main and plenty of Dance Hall & Castello bands

+ still Wednesday to come, although it's been nothing special for the last couple of years.

Just hoping that they keep the stages as they are as I think it's a winning formula.

Fingers crossed for Monday.

3 hours ago, DiscothequeDave said:

So, looks to me (assuming the stages stay the same) it'll be something like - 

Thursday - Think we're done on the main stage and virtually all the boiler is done, maybe one more. Think most of the names will be for the club and Dance Hall. Looks to me like there may be one Marquee headliner to come between Grizzly Bear and Bonobo. it could turn out to be a belter of a day with the right names.

Friday - Potentially a big name to come, depends on what time NERD play, you'd think it would have been NERD / Travis Scott / OATW but they may feel the need to put someone in between NERD and Travis Scott or in between Travis Scott and OATW. Can't see any of the three playing for more than an hour so there's definitely scope for it time wise. Florence definitely the favourite for me. 

As for the Marquee, hopefully a headliner, a smaller band before Incubus and a fairly dance-y closer to come. Should be a few names for the Dance Hall as well. If all else fails hopefully we'll get some interesting names for the lift.

Saturday - Again, potentially a whole evening of Marquee bands to come, depending on where Justice play. Probably one more on the main and plenty of Dance Hall & Castello bands

+ still Wednesday to come, although it's been nothing special for the last couple of years.

Just hoping that they keep the stages as they are as I think it's a winning formula.

Fingers crossed for Monday.

Don't get your hopes up too high Dave, even though they still got a lot of names to announce to me big name wise we're nearly done I think? I've to admit that NERD + OATW + Travis a very poor choice of big names is but those are names that work for the youth, I mean.. I think so atleast? I think we got one big name for the Marquee left (unless Incubus is the Marquee headliner) and I guess that's it? Maybe something between Justice and Roisin Murphy though I've to agree on it depends a lot where Justice ens up playing.

23 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

Don't see them selling too much tickets with this piss poor lineup. The lineup definitely needs some major kick in the butt, big names-wise. 

On the plus-side: the only way is up after that first announcement. 

And I don't see NERD doing much for the youth actually. Oscar neither, since they're far from exclusive (but as a dance act after the actual headliner they can work). 

Me neither, which is a good thing to me. They can't keep on booking shitty acts like that and get away with it, I feel like this edition will go down the same way as it did in 2016. Though I've to admit and we've to keep in mind that PKP (and the other August fests) is/are fishing in a smaller pond than the fests in June/July. It's not as bad as R&L or Rock en Seine, luckily but it's far from 'good enough' imo.

Yeah, I think NERD would only attract a crowd because a) people actually know about them or b) people heard Pharell plays with them and would check them out, otherwise I don't see them pulling an insane crowd either. Didn't OATW have 2 shows in Sportpaleis last year? Though I've no clue if he actually managed to sell out both. Though yeah, he isn't that rare to catch here lol (he's playing Sportpaleis again at the end of the year + is at the Boutique line up aswell lol)

Edited by arcuse

Last year the second batch had 2manyDJs, Nicolas Jaar and Richie Hawtin as big names. The year before it was DJ Fresh, Soulwax and Tchami leading the pack and the year before that it was Paolo Nuttini, Christine & The Queens, Evil Superstars and The Gaslight Anthem. I mean, yeah sure there will be some big names added (atleast I hope so) but I wouldn't count on massive surprises. idk.

My guess is that we get a 'big' DJ for the Boiler on Friday, a Marquee act and a Dancehall act for Saturday leading the second batch with another 40/50ish names.

Edited by arcuse

22 minutes ago, arcuse said:

Me neither, which is a good thing to me. They can't keep on booking shitty acts like that and get away with it, I feel like this edition will go down the same way as it did in 2016.

2016 was my favourite edition so far :-) 

2015 is the standard of edition that I hope we never return to..

8 minutes ago, DiscothequeDave said:

2016 was my favourite edition so far :-) 

2015 is the standard of edition that I hope we never return to..

2016 was also one of my favourite years!!!

Swindle, NAO, Battles, Clap! Clap!, Romare, Roisin Murphy, Tchami, AlunaGeorge, LCD Soundsystem, King Gizzard and Julia Holter where the highlights!!!

I guess i really don't care about the mainstage...

Edited by Kikujiro

6 minutes ago, TheKiewitGuy said:

2015 weather was perfect though and made it one of my favourite editions, despite the line-up.

I did make an effort to go last minute. Really fucked off that the Wednesday line up was announced very late on or else I'd have gone. By the time I'd decided to go the travel costs were eye wateringly expensive. Still, Alt J as a headliner? Not a chance. 

Edited by DiscothequeDave