Pukkelpop 2018

DDave

Frequency are announcing their 'next big headliner' tomorrow. People predicting the Foo's, 30STM and 21 Pilots.

Strange how they're announcing a headliner 6 days after the first announcement. It's got to be the headliner that held up the Sziget announcement but Frequency must have just gone ahead with it anyway. It's got to be someone fairly big to warrant it's own announcement.

I'm going the Foos, and if it is, they're 100% for Pukkelpop

I would go for Twenty One Pilots or the Foo Fighters, especially the first one. Frequency Festival has wanted to book them since 2015, but never got them. Moreover Ö3, a big Austrian radio station, the "mother" radio station of FM4, which is part of the official name of the festival, said in summer that there is already contact and negotiations are on a good way.... Foos, in the last year they were often named by the fans and the festival always responded with we tried our best, but we didn't manage it....

It's Imagine Dragons

Christ that's disappointing. 

Edit-especially disappointing now I've had a listen. God they're bad.

Frequency extends to four days. 16-19 August so expect a lot of crossover. Looks like they're playing the Friday at Frequency so you'd imagine Sziget will get them beforehand, Pukkelpop will get them on the Saturday then Lowlands on the Sunday and then onto R&L the week after

Edited by DiscothequeDave

• 3 weeks later...

Green Man first announcement due 25th January and Summer Sonic line up out mid Jan so should have a much clearer picture of who's about and who's not. Lowlands should be announcing soon. They announced on the 16th December last year.

Reckon we'll have a mid February first Pukkelpop announcement again this year.

Fleet Foxes for Paredes de Coura in Portugal, same weekend. Would make a great Marquee headliner. They are one of my favourite bands, and I absolutely adore their last record Crack Up (which is very underrated in most end of the year lists IMO). It's very dense (both music and lyrics), but so rewarding if you give it a try. Hope PKP books them instead of Werchter, since they are also in Europe then.

Was thinking that Lorde might sub, or even headline? Maybe take the spot of Ed Sheeran or Ellie Goulding? Popular for the mainstream visitors, but still critically acclaimed.

All ruled out. Summer Sonic and Sonic Mania announces first line up. Chance beng the biggest surprise after cancelling last year.

Not too bad really. Would have loved Beck but means Arcade Fire are well in the running for Pukkelpop now. Was very confident they'd be in Japan. Glad to be wrong. If Lowlands announce them then they're a shoe in for PP.

And no Nickelback :-)

IMG_20180117_030333.jpg

IMG_20180117_030806.jpg

5 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

There is a Sizget and Flow announcement next week which should give us a better idea of who is about :)

Yep, and Lowlands shouldn't be too far behind, which is the biggest indicator of who we get. Can't see Britney doing the Manchester Arena when the V replacement is on the same weekend.

12 minutes ago, DiscothequeDave said:

Yep, and Lowlands shouldn't be too far behind, which is the biggest indicator of who we get. Can't see Britney doing the Manchester Arena when the V replacement is on the same weekend.

I dunno, wouldn't really be that great of an omen if in the first year you get both Eminem (who is rumoured for Sziget, and plays a bunch of FR fests etc.) and Britney for the first year. It would be a bit too early 00's imo. Who knows though :)

well, v is a pop festival, but also a teenish kind of festival. idk if britney still has a good popularity to attract the v crowd, especially if there are better options in europe around that time.and booking britney in 2018 is probably a risk regardless of the other concerts on that weekend.

anyway, i think that tweet is just bulls**t. 

1 hour ago, SilverLining said:

Snow Patrol, Eels, Fleet Foxes, Marshmello + Khalid all ruled out due to playing at RW, can’t see any of those names crossing over. Fingers crossed for Arcade Fire, Muse and some fodder act so I can go to other stages on that night :]

Doubt any of them are ruled out, it's generally only the top line that gets ruled out for Pukkelpop. Plenty of subheadliners and below have played both in the same year.

I'd say that Eels and Snow Patrol would be the most likely given the history with Pukkelpop. Can see Eels quite high up in the Marquee or a mid afternoon main stage set, just depends if they stick around long enough in the summer to do so. Marshmello is in Japan during PP and played last year - apparently we saw some of his set an all! 

Here's who's around and who's not so far. The 'around' ones are playing festivals in August, the ruled outs are either playing elsewhere over PP dates or are (probably) ruled out by other festivals. I've not included anyone who played last year. There are still first announcements to come from R+L, Rock En Seine, Zurich Openair, Green Man and Lowlands, all of whom Pukkelpop often share acts with so loads more to go into the 'around' section. I think personally we'll possibly be able to add Kendrick Lamar, The Killers, Florence ATM, Eminem, The Foos, Phoenix and the Pixies to the 'around' section in the next couple of weeks but we shall see. I reckon so far, Imagine Dragons, Netsky, Chase and Fucking Status and Bonobo are certainties for this years edition.

Ruled out

David Byrne, Gorillaz, QOTSA, Pearl Jam, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Sam Smith, Chemical Brothers,  Massive Attack, Wiz Khalifa, Ed Sheeran, Jack White, Iron Maiden, Guns N Roses, Ozzy Osbourne, Volbeat, Taylor Swift, Beck, NGHFB, Jess Glynne, Chance The Rapper, Nickelback, Marshmello, Shawn Mendes, J Balvin,  Mastadon, Kelela, Nine Inch Nails, My Bloody Valentine, Eels, Taylor Swift, Katy Perry,

Around/rumoured

Arcade Fire, Imagine Dragons, Kasabian, The War on Drugs, Bjork, Britney Spears, Liam Gallagher, Prodigy, Lykke Li, Patti Smith, Paradise, Converge, Grizzly Bear, Fleet Foxes, Mackelmore, Kygo, Kaleo, Bonobo …And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead, Brockhampton, Lost Frequencies, Mando Diao, Sleaford Mods, J Hus, Tønes, Noname, Smerz, Moses Sumney, Jorja Smith, Great News, Wolf Alice, Chelsea Wolfe, Dig Deeper, Fieh, Sassy 009 Store P , Superorganism, Dizzee Rascal, Chase & Status, Jonas Blue, Netsky, Disciples, JAUZ,Andy C, Slushii, Bugzy Malone, Stefflon Don, My Nu Leng, Nadia Rose, James Hype, Craig David's TS5, Protomartyr, Big Thief, Skepta, Curtis Harding, Jamie Lawson, OLLI SCHULZ, Faber, FIL BO RIVA, LEONIDEN, EROBIQUE, SEVDALIZA , JOB JOBSE, YELLOW DAYS, BALTRA GRANADA, MAVI PHOENIX ,DENGUE DENGUE DENGUE ,PAULI POCKET,HIDDEN SPHERES ,NINZE & OKAXY,PÉPE,DEPRI DISKO,  Sigala,  DROPKICK MURPHYS · THE HIVES · KONTRA K · EDITORS · GOGOL BORDELLO ·  The Subways, Maximo Park.

• Upvote 2

On 1/19/2018 at 4:55 PM, DiscothequeDave said:

Marshmello is in Japan during PP and played last year - apparently we saw some of his set an all! 

Yeah we did. Whole thing looked and sounded like Disney on acid. Was pretty horrific so great news that he's on the other side of the planet this time.

Pretty sure you can add The War on Drugs to the list of certainties. Would love to see them in the Marquee but think they'll sub like London Grammar did last year. Think (and hope) we'll get George Fitzgerald and Bicep with their live shows and an Amelie Lens b2b with Charlotte de Witte in the Boiler to close one night would be very apt and no doubt well received by the locals. Big two for me this year though are Friendly Fires and Future Islands. 

I probably say this every year but think one of the headliners will be a bit 'different'. No idea who that might be but that's kind of the point! Only concern at the moment is it might be Imagine Dragons as they fit the Bastille/Editors/Alt-J/The xx mould and are now likely considered 'big' enough to do it. Be interesting to see if they stack the Marquee again as imo that worked well. Bjork is an obvious name but might be too big. Fever Ray could be in with a shout too. As you've said Dave, we'll definitely know a lot more in the next couple of weeks so let's hope it's good news.

6 hours ago, Semprini said:

Yeah we did. Whole thing looked and sounded like Disney on acid. Was pretty horrific so great news that he's on the other side of the planet this time.

Pretty sure you can add The War on Drugs to the list of certainties. Would love to see them in the Marquee but think they'll sub like London Grammar did last year. Think (and hope) we'll get George Fitzgerald and Bicep with their live shows and an Amelie Lens b2b with Charlotte de Witte in the Boiler to close one night would be very apt and no doubt well received by the locals. Big two for me this year though are Friendly Fires and Future Islands. 

I probably say this every year but think one of the headliners will be a bit 'different'. No idea who that might be but that's kind of the point! Only concern at the moment is it might be Imagine Dragons as they fit the Bastille/Editors/Alt-J/The xx mould and are now likely considered 'big' enough to do it. Be interesting to see if they stack the Marquee again as imo that worked well. Bjork is an obvious name but might be too big. Fever Ray could be in with a shout too. As you've said Dave, we'll definitely know a lot more in the next couple of weeks so let's hope it's good news.

How are yu so sure that TWoD will play? :) Would love to see them at Sziget!