Tour Announcements & Upcoming Gigs

FloorFiller

2 minutes ago, scatteredscreens said:

https://www.seetickets.com/search?q=sharon+van+etten

Some Sharon Van Etten dates are up, in Glasgow on the 21st. Some other poster mentioned about her being at the fest with the festivals in Europe, despite being there in 2019 I can definitely see her coming back (and welcome it!).

Yeah seemingly got a new album lined up so I reckon she’s a good bet to return. Didn’t manage to catch her last time so fingers crossed. Guessing she won’t be in the JP again so quite a few places she could end up - low Pyramid, mid-Other, or even Park headliner/sub. 

57 minutes ago, Miyn said:

Libertines stock has dropped over the past few years. They headlined Reading in 2015, and subbed Glasto, although they were meant to be 3rd down but still. I'm guessing their initial reunion was just hyped to absolute bits.

Boring isn't it? Just paying money to watch The Libertines play the same set every tour for the last 6.5 years and not release any new music...

Not for me. I like it.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, hhunting said:

Boring isn't it? Just paying money to watch The Libertines play the same set every tour for the last 6.5 years and not release any new music...

Not for me. I like it.

I would actually be interested to hear new music by the Libertines.

Anthems For Doomed Youth was much, much better than it had any right to be.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

I would actually be interested to hear new music by the Libertines.

Anthems For Doomed Youth was much, much better than it had any right to be.

i would love to hear a new libertines album. i was hoping for it when they toured in 2019 and here we are in 2022 and they're doing an up the bracket tour and pete's released another solo album!

1 hour ago, Miyn said:

Libertines stock has dropped over the past few years. They headlined Reading in 2015, and subbed Glasto, although they were meant to be 3rd down but still. I'm guessing their initial reunion was just hyped to absolute bits.

They weren’t meant to be third down Glasto - they weren’t meant to be playing at all, we had the lineup and times by that point. Supposed to be just headlining R+L and TITP that year.

They’ve plummeted since though. Probably on a par with Razorlight and Kaiser Chiefs in terms of slots they’re gonna get from now on.

6 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

They weren’t meant to be third down Glasto - they weren’t meant to be playing at all, we had the lineup and times by that point. Supposed to be just headlining R+L and TITP that year.

They’ve plummeted since though. Probably on a par with Razorlight and Kaiser Chiefs in terms of slots they’re gonna get from now on.

There will always be a place for them on the Kendall/Neighbourhood/Tramlines circuit.

Just now, dentalplan said:

Yeah but their place at those festivals has changed. They were headlining Victorious in 2017 and now they have a slot that has been taken by Texas, All Saints, Happy Mondays and Gomez previously.

Oh definitely, it's all midway down the lineup or higher up the second stage from here on in...

22 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

L*bertines are fucking dogshit, and "I have nostalgia for listening to them when I was younger!" isn't an excuse to keep supporting them

If I recall correctly, you're relatively young. You might find that as you get older, your keenness for nostalgia increases. I'm as guilty as anyone, I still listen to so much music from the 60s, as it's what I grew up listening to, thanks to my parents. Then, as a teenager in the 90s, I found my own way into various new genres, all the while still listening to the likes of the Kinks, Sabbath, Pretty Things, Monkees, Hendrix, Mannfred Mann, etc. Still do. I try and keep with with what's current today and there's lots I love, but a great deal of modern music it isn't aimed at me, and I'm comfortable with that.

There's always space to be a nostalgist and still enjoy what's current, they're not mutually exclusive and I'm sure that in time, you'll reflect back upon what's popular with you at a formative time in your life with fondness. It's natural.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 16

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

If it was a bit more local I'd definitely be interested in that Sunday.

Went to Victorious a few years back and it's quietly a very decent festival. Despite the username I'm not actually that near Portsmouth - about an hour away. But I'd be inclined to go for that Sunday – very good undercard (Suede! Libs! Editors! Hot Chip-ish! Sophie Ellis-Bextor!), and not remotely fussed for Sam Fender so can bugger off early and get home at a reasonably sensible time.

Edited by LinvoyPrimus

32 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

If I recall correctly, you're relatively young. You might find that as you get older, your keenness for nostalgia increases. I'm as guilty as anyone, I still listen to so much music from the 60s, as it's what I grew up listening to, thanks to my parents. Then, as a teenager in the 90s, I found my own way into various new genres, all the while still listening to the likes of the Kinks, Sabbath, Pretty Things, Monkees, Hendrix, Mannfred Mann, etc. Still do. I try and keep with with what's current today and there's lots I love, but a great deal of modern music it isn't aimed at me, and I'm comfortable with that.

There's always space to be a nostalgist and still enjoy what's current, they're not mutually exclusive and I'm sure that in time, you'll reflect back upon what's popular with you at a formative time in your life with fondness. It's natural.

Spot on, there was a similarly aggressive post yesterday about Oasis.

I am an unashamed nostalgist, I'm a married father of two with a senior management job (although you wouldn't always believe that by the amount of time I spend on here). Quite simply I do not have the time or headspace to constantly seeking out the next big passing fad. Like you say, I do still try to keep up with what's current, but it's no longer important for me to seen to be into whatever's "cool" these days. There's a comfort to be had in the familiar.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Me these days...

285334.jpg?b64lines=IHdoeSBkbyB5b3UgbmVlZCBuZXcKIGJhbmRzPyBFdmVyeW9uZSBrbm93cwogcm9jayBhdHRhaW5lZCBwZXJmZWN0aW9uCiBpbiAxOTk1Lg==

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I am an unashamed nostalgist, I'm a married father of two with a senior management job (although you wouldn't always believe that by the amount of time I spend on here). Quite simply I do not have the time or headspace to constantly seeking out the next big passing fad. Like you say, I do still try to keep up with what's current, but it's no longer important for me to seen to be into whatever's "cool" these days. There's a comfort to be had in the familiar.

Absolutely there's comfort in nostalgia. It's natural to connect happy events to the soundtrack of that time.

Maybe what @Gilgamesh69 refers to is the seemingly endless influx of "anniversary" tours over the past few years? Artists from certain eras do seem to be set on these as opposed to getting in the studio and releasing something new. That said, new music isn't a guarantee of anything fresh, is it? Liam Gallagher is the perfect case in point, from the school of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". But if there's a demand, why change a winning formula? Sure, there's critical acclaim in experimentation and veering off the beaten path but some artists don't have what it takes to make that transition. They can't all be Radiohead. In fact, it's the formulaic artists that make acts like Thom & Co even more special. 

When does this hit most people then? Cos at 32 I think most the stuff I liked as a teenager is pretty shit, most the stuff I liked in my 20s is good but I’ve heard it enough times now, and most the stuff coming out today is rehashed old stuff.

Thankfully there’s always bits of new stuff that’s genuinely great and that’s basically all I listen to. And the occasional discovery of something old I’d missed.

38 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I don't know if there's more pent up energy with such a big gap between festivals at the moment but there is so much aggression in the forums this year; personal jabs that aren't always clear 'banter', calling out fan bases of acts and whole genres. It's a real shame and I think far from the 'spirit of Glastonbury'.

image.png.31319acf50b17d7a9aa9859f56092841.png

It's fun to talk about differences in opinion and taste but it can be done with respect. One of the reasons I interact less than I did is to avoid so many unnecessary aggressions. I'm sure less people are posting on this and the New Music threads that had been fantastic sources of information for many browsers and posters through fear of having to defend sharing tours, songs or albums.

(Quote to continue your post theme, my comment is not calling out any specific individuals)

• Upvote 3