Tour Announcements & Upcoming Gigs

FloorFiller

2 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Yeah, me too. Increases my (already at 95%) probability of Glastonbury going ahead. These gigs are indoors when the infection numbers are so high. Got to be a good sign

That’s a good way of looking at it.

Was fully expecting Idles to be postponed and would’ve totally understood, but pretty stoked that I’ve got something to look forward to (assuming some kind of new restriction doesn’t come in to action before then, which I’m not expecting)

Just now, Mouseboy11 said:

Get the feeling that IDLES tour won’t go ahead anyway tbh 

Yeah I’m a little doubtful - LCD Soundsytem were adamant their New York shows were gonna go ahead and then a couple of days later had to cancel. Who knows what the next few weeks will bring re: COVID. Fingers crossed though. 

10 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Yeah I’m a little doubtful - LCD Soundsytem were adamant their New York shows were gonna go ahead and then a couple of days later had to cancel. Who knows what the next few weeks will bring re: COVID. Fingers crossed though. 

Fingers crossed! First dates are Sunday after next, so unless someone catchs Covid, I can't see them changing their minds. Especially as cases seem to be slowing in London

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

Fingers crossed! First dates are Sunday after next, so unless someone catchs Covid, I can't see them changing their minds. Especially as cases seem to be slowing in London

They don’t want to catch it mid tour and get called bedwetters for having to pull it though … that’s the issue … especially for the bigger acts where one cog of the wheel out they can’t run the tour … and with 1 in 20 having covid currently there’s a very large chance that one of the touring party catch it … especially inside 

25 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

They don’t want to catch it mid tour and get called bedwetters for having to pull it though … that’s the issue … especially for the bigger acts where one cog of the wheel out they can’t run the tour … and with 1 in 20 having covid currently there’s a very large chance that one of the touring party catch it … especially inside 

But then... that's what they're considering at the moment. What will change from today to next week in that regard?

I think the 4 brixton dates are the important ones. Get through those, the other dates can be rescheduled if they catch it. 

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

That’s a good way of looking at it.

Was fully expecting Idles to be postponed and would’ve totally understood, but pretty stoked that I’ve got something to look forward to (assuming some kind of new restriction doesn’t come in to action before then, which I’m not expecting)

We'll see. Anything could happen between now and then. I think my gig is the last date on the tour, so if it happens, it'll be some achievement! They're saying the right things today, but if it goes south, hopefully they give people sufficient notice to cancel travel and accommodation arrangements. Under this pandemic, I've fully learned to accept that nothing's on, until I'm physically there. The fact that they intend to push on with it, and there's no official resistance, gives me hope for a good summer, given where things are right now

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Well....Well..  it's weird cos the bands cancelling the gigs are the ones losing out. Govt ain't gonna help them. The band and fans should be triple jabbed by now. 

Do you actually think bands want to cancel their gigs after not being able to tour and make money for 2 years ?? What is your point apart from to stir up trouble

• Upvote 1

There are zero legal epidements towards a band play live now

If a band cancel, are they refunding their fans travel and accommodation costs they may incur with their change?

If a fan can't make the rescheduled date, are they refunding the booking fees ticketmaster and seetickets will be keeping when they ask for a refund?

A band like wolf Alice is cancelling now because they want to put the expense of a cancelled tour onto their fan base. They should just pull their socks up and do what their fans have paid for them to do

Edited by zahidf
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, zahidf said:

If a band cancel, are they refunding their fans travel and accommodation costs they may incur with their change?

If a fan can't make the rescheduled date, are they refunding the booking fees ticketmaster and seetickets will be keeping when they ask for a refund?

A band like wolf Alice is cancelling now because they want to put the expense of a cancelled tour onto their fan base. They should just pull their socks up and do what their fans have paid for them to do

It’s postponed, not cancelled. The gigs will go ahead at a later date when it’s safer to do so.

It’s out of consideration to the fans. If a portion of ticketholders are worried about going to a show because of potential impacts to their health and others, then it’s reasonable to put the show off for a little while. Show a bit of common sense.

16 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

It’s postponed, not cancelled. The gigs will go ahead at a later date when it’s safer to do so.

It’s out of consideration to the fans. If a portion of ticketholders are worried about going to a show because of potential impacts to their health and others, then it’s reasonable to put the show off for a little while. Show a bit of common sense.

Covid isn’t going away though so the risk for fans will always be there and it’s up to fans to make the decision whether it’s a risk they’re willing to take. If the gov are allowing gigs to go ahead, people have been triple jabbed and testing is in place then I think the gigs should be going ahead. If the actual reason for the band cancelling is due to them thinking they won’t be able to get through the tour without a touring member getting Covid and subsequently having to cancel the tour then I think said band should be honest about that otherwise there is a risk that bands cancelling gigs make people think these gigs are more unsafe than they actually are which could cause attendees attitudes to attending gigs in the future to change which may risk long term damage to venues in addition to the damage that has already been done throughout the past couple of years. Not sure if going to a gig is anymore unsafe than going to a supermarket, pub, restaurant or football match and ultimately it the attendees choice currently. 

• Upvote 2

Yeah, even as a fan of some of these bands I have a real issue with how these postponements and cancellations are being made. Everyone knows how covid spreads at this point and that you might get it at a show, or you might not, or you might get it down the pub, or you might not.

Bands shifting the narrative to "these spaces are not safe for audiences, so this is for your benefit" is throwing venues under the bus at a time when they really need everyone on side. Just be honest and say that tours are too risky to complete, or there won't be enough people in the venue to break even, or that you haven't sold enough tickets because people are hesitant, or whatever.

The more people that view gig and club venues as inherently unsafe places to be in, the harder it'll be to convince people to commit to buying tickets in future if there's still illnesses hanging around.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

Yeah, even as a fan of some of these bands I have a real issue with how these postponements and cancellations are being made. Everyone knows how covid spreads at this point and that you might get it at a show, or you might not, or you might get it down the pub, or you might not.

Bands shifting the narrative to "these spaces are not safe for audiences, so this is for your benefit" is throwing venues under the bus at a time when they really need everyone on side. Just be honest and say that tours are too risky to complete, or there won't be enough people in the venue to break even, or that you haven't sold enough tickets because people are hesitant, or whatever.

The more people that view gig and club venues as inherently unsafe places to be in, the harder it'll be to convince people to commit to buying tickets in future if there's still illnesses hanging around.

Leeds Brudnell have been on twitter having a go at bands for postponing for the same reason you just said. They say they arent being consulted at all, and the bands are basically throwing them ( and other people in the music touring structure)under the bus

Without wanting to go into covid specifically this has huge long term knock on effects, including a potentially 3-4 month period where venues just won't be booked next year even if things end up being OK. What happens the year after depends on what venues are left i guess. 

The situation is the situation, and postponing is probably the right thing at this point, but as said above its the way its being done that is very short sighted. It might sound better in the short term to talk about caring about your fans but the implications of that in the current situation go beyond covid seasonal times and into the summer

Edited by efcfanwirral

35 minutes ago, foolee said:

Covid isn’t going away though so the risk for fans will always be there and it’s up to fans to make the decision whether it’s a risk they’re willing to take. If the gov are allowing gigs to go ahead, people have been triple jabbed and testing is in place then I think the gigs should be going ahead. If the actual reason for the band cancelling is due to them thinking they won’t be able to get through the tour without a touring member getting Covid and subsequently having to cancel the tour then I think said band should be honest about that otherwise there is a risk that bands cancelling gigs make people think these gigs are more unsafe than they actually are which could cause attendees attitudes to attending gigs in the future to change which may risk long term damage to venues in addition to the damage that has already been done throughout the past couple of years. Not sure if going to a gig is anymore unsafe than going to a supermarket, pub, restaurant or football match and ultimately it the attendees choice currently. 

Its not going away, I know that. But unlike August-November, we’re at a stage where it’s incredibly viral at the moment. It won’t be like that in a month or two. That’s why the attendee might be happier to go in a month or two and if the band can accommodate that then they shouldn’t be given shit for doing so.

Unlike going to a supermarket or bar, ticketholders only get the one chance at this and they lose their investment if they don’t go. Saying “well that’s up to them because I would be happy to go” is just pretty selfish.

I find it hard to believe its going to put people off buying tickets for stuff, from personal experience anyway. Everywhere was rammo pre-christmas and gigs and festivals were selling out left right and centre. Same thing going forward - everything I've gone for tickets for that I've expected to sell out has done, often quite quickly. Seems pretty normal to me. 

I'm happy for artists to take the reigns on this. My concern is for the future and how long this happens for. Covid isn't going away and there will be times where its worse than not. How does that work for bands to book tours in the future with the possibility of the next wave being as viral as this one, or as dangerous as the Delta variant. How does that work for people booking tickets to shows 4-6 months in advance with not knowing whats going to happen. 

12 hours ago, zahidf said:

FFS I'd totally missed this. 

1 minute ago, the wonderwhy said:

I find it hard to believe its going to put people off buying tickets for stuff, from personal experience anyway. Everywhere was rammo pre-christmas and gigs and festivals were selling out left right and centre. Same thing going forward - everything I've gone for tickets for that I've expected to sell out has done, often quite quickly. Seems pretty normal to me. 

My concern is not things selling out, or not going, its buying the tickets with not knowing if i'm getting a refund, booking holiday/travel/even accommodation and the artists having to cancel full on tours for what ever the next unknown wave will be. 

25 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

It's good to zoom out a bit. Keep in mind there's been moments over the past year of consumer confidence – vaccine bumps, good weather, etc. which has led to some festivals and tours selling out in advance because of a general good feeling around them happening. But a lot of the stuff gig-wise that's been scheduled over this winter was either sold a while ago or was rescheduled from another time.

My partner works in the West End and people just aren't committing to entertainment stuff in the same way they used to because of all the uncertainty around refunds, travel, accoms, etc. They're literally having to give away tickets some nights. I imagine this is similar in gig venues for a lot of 'undercard' bands right now – and from a ticket-buyer perspective there's a lot of ticket churn on resale sites for gigs in a way there wasn't pre-pandemic. If you can hold your nerve until the last minute you'll find a below-face-value ticket for nearly everything nowadays.

I just worry that a lot of the habits consumers have had over the past year are going to have big long-term effects on venues and that entertainment ecosystem.

Edited by jannybruck

9 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Fuck me, it gets worse! Just received this email from SeeTickets. Was really looking forward to seeing Order Processing Fee play in Nottingham on NYE in 76 years time. Hope I can make the rescheduled date...

Screenshot_20220107-125932.png

Going to make it my life’s work to encourage my grandchildren to start a band called Order Procesing Fee and get them to promise to play Nottingham that night.

• Like 1