Tour Announcements & Upcoming Gigs

FloorFiller

13 minutes ago, djdavejohnson said:

Anyone been WHP before? I'm interested in this / a couple of the other nights / some previous line ups but heard mixed reviews on the event itself. Security / crowd in particular aren't often spoke of in glowing terms?

I've been a couple of times if you've got any questions. 

Security in my experience are no worse than anywhere else in the country. A lot less intense on entry than some London clubs I've been to. Only time I've seen them kick people out are when they're being very obvious about certain substances.

The crowd has been very pleasant when I've been. Some drunk idiots as you get everywhere but the proportion seems to be a lot less at WHP considering the size of the crowd and they tend to filter out after about 12/1am and you're left with the people who just want to enjoy the music. 

Can only speak from my experience but it's usually been a very enjoyable night.

I’ve been to all the various guises of the WHP - The Boddingtons Brewery, Store St under Piccadilly station and now Victoria Warehouse. Enjoyed Victoria the least.

Funnily enough last time I was there was to see Nile Rogers but the venue was almost dangerously packed. Bodies pressed against each other AOTS, couldn’t get near a bar or a toilet and when I finally did manage to get a drink and have a wee I couldn’t get back into the main room where Chic were playing. Had to watch most of the gig on my own miles back in the next room as there was no way to get back to my mates.

Not an enjoyable experience.

16 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I’ve been to all the various guises of the WHP - The Boddingtons Brewery, Store St under Piccadilly station and now Victoria Warehouse. Enjoyed Victoria the least.

Funnily enough last time I was there was to see Nile Rogers but the venue was almost dangerously packed. Bodies pressed against each other AOTS, couldn’t get near a bar or a toilet and when I finally did manage to get a drink and have a wee I couldn’t get back into the main room where Chic were playing. Had to watch most of the gig on my own miles back in the next room as there was no way to get back to my mates.

Not an enjoyable experience.

I 'saw' PJ Harvey at the Victoria Warehouse, it was dreadful, I'd only return if it was an unmissable act. When I say 'saw' I mean only 'heard'

21 hours ago, Quark said:

I'm mildly grumpy about this.  Booked to see them on the original tour, meant to be in spring 2020 and obviously leaning heavily on the new album.  Having seen them on the LTL anniversary tours in 2011 and 2016 (yes I know, get a life etc) I was really looking forward to the new material being given a stretch and probably a  bit more of a varied set than on the anniversary tours. 

If they just end up doing what they did on the previous tours (album, b-sides and a handful of others) rather than focusing on Peace and a bit of variety it's going to feel seriously underwhelming. And I say that as a massive fan.

I saw someone saying pretty much the same on you on social media, and the band responded that they would be playing a lot from Peace as well, so hopefully it will be OK

On 5/25/2021 at 9:39 AM, FloorFiller said:

YES PLZ

1FF4232D-1AEA-4157-92BF-51EB3D1802CC.jpeg

Just booked this. 

I’ll tell you what, I really hope no more good gigs get announced any time soon because I have spent an absolute fortune in the past month what with announcements suddenly snowballing.

had a nice dip into the bank account this morning. grabbed a pair of standing tickets for the Billie Eilish O2 show, and now bagged a pair to go to the new Alan Partridge show (this one also at the O2)

also having seen Eilish at Heaven, London and Shepherd's Bush, I'm very excited to see her on one of the biggest stages here

Just now, finn_with_1_n said:

had a nice dip into the bank account this morning. grabbed a pair of standing tickets for the Billie Eilish O2 show, and now bagged a pair to go to the new Alan Partridge show (this one also at the O2)

also having seen Eilish at Heaven, London and Shepherd's Bush, I'm very excited to see her on one of the biggest stages here

There's a new Alan Partridge show?

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

There's a new Alan Partridge show?

yeah, I couldn't find a poster but the dates are here:

Fri 29 Apr – Utilita Arena Birmingham
Sat 30 Apr – Sheffield Arena
Wed 4 May – Utilita Arena, Newcastle
Wed 11 May – M&S Bank Arena, Liverpool
Thu 12 May – AO Arena, Manchester
Thu 19 May – Motorpoint Arena, Cardiff
Fri 27 May – P&J Live, Aberdeen
Sat 28 May – First Direct Arena, Leeds
Tue 31 May – The O2, London

Ticketmaster presale is tomorrow at 10am

edit: "The all-new show Stratagem has been devised, written, choreographed, performed and funded by Alan Partridge. The tour will run throughout May 2022. Alan will be touring the UK wearing a head-mic favoured by TED talkers, market hawkers, TV evangelists, backing singers and carnival barkers. The show promises to be a manifesto for the way we can move forward, a roadmap to a better tomorrow, an ABC for the way to be"

Edited by finn_with_1_n

Thanks @Superunknown & @Hugh Jass - contrasting reviews! Sounds like Chic in any case could be a bit of a nightmare. Would like to think they would have learned from previous experience, but with events needing to make money more than ever I won't hold my breath on the overcrowding front! I've seen them a few times so not massively fussed about this one. Might try WHP at some point though, plenty of decent line ups.

24 minutes ago, finn_with_1_n said:

yeah, I couldn't find a poster but the dates are here:

Fri 29 Apr – Utilita Arena Birmingham
Sat 30 Apr – Sheffield Arena
Wed 4 May – Utilita Arena, Newcastle
Wed 11 May – M&S Bank Arena, Liverpool
Thu 12 May – AO Arena, Manchester
Thu 19 May – Motorpoint Arena, Cardiff
Fri 27 May – P&J Live, Aberdeen
Sat 28 May – First Direct Arena, Leeds
Tue 31 May – The O2, London

Ticketmaster presale is tomorrow at 10am

edit: "The all-new show Stratagem has been devised, written, choreographed, performed and funded by Alan Partridge. The tour will run throughout May 2022. Alan will be touring the UK wearing a head-mic favoured by TED talkers, market hawkers, TV evangelists, backing singers and carnival barkers. The show promises to be a manifesto for the way we can move forward, a roadmap to a better tomorrow, an ABC for the way to be"

Will this be good? Not sure...

40 minutes ago, djdavejohnson said:

Thanks @Superunknown & @Hugh Jass - contrasting reviews! Sounds like Chic in any case could be a bit of a nightmare. Would like to think they would have learned from previous experience, but with events needing to make money more than ever I won't hold my breath on the overcrowding front! I've seen them a few times so not massively fussed about this one. Might try WHP at some point though, plenty of decent line ups.

If it helps I agree with Hugh's point about it being packed in the previous venues. However, in the new Mayfield Depot it's a lot more spacious, even down by the front I felt there was plenty of room and if not there was so much space around in the main room I never felt crushed or packed like I did in Store Street where it was a nightmare, just couldn't even walk some places as you just got moved by the crowd.

Mayfield is a lot better and I much prefer it as do most of my friends. The only time it's packed is the bottleneck on entry but apart from that it was very spacious. 

Edited by Superunknown

6 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

If it helps I agree with Hugh's point about it being packed in the previous venues. However, in the new Mayfield Depot it's a lot more spacious, even down by the front I felt there was plenty of room and if not there was so much space around in the main room I never felt crushed or packed like I did in Store Street where it was a nightmare, just couldn't even walk some places as you just got moved by the crowd.

Mayfield is a lot better and I much prefer it as do most of my friends. The only time it's packed is the bottleneck on entry but apart from that it was very spacious. 

Oh yeah, just realised they’ve moved again. Thought they were still at VW.

23 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

Ok brill thanks for that, appreciated 👍