Tour Announcements & Upcoming Gigs

FloorFiller

11 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

There are (sort of) two Genesises (or Genesii).

Will the current incarnation even go near things like Supper's Ready or will it just be  Invisible Touch and the like?

You'd like to think that they'll cover the range.  From the little I know of Genesis they continued to be a bit interesting after Gabriel left for at least a while, and a lot of the fans will be looking forward to seeing that on the tour.

I'll stand by Land of Confusion though.

39 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I’ll admit that my knowledge of the 70’s prog bands and their current standing isn’t up to much but since reforming ELO have been regularly playing arenas and the odd enormous outdoor gig (Hyde Park, Wembley) - I would imagine that would be same level Genesis operate around.

I don’t think the comparison with FM stacks up as they broke into the mainstream in a much bigger way than the other two. 

erm ... Genesis were a feckin' HUUUUGE!!!! 80s pop band. ;)

(yes, they were also that boring 70s prog thing, but that's where they got niche love and not huge hits).

IF anything for the UK, Genesis broke into the mainstream at a massively greater rate than Mac did.

Edited by eFestivals

44 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

There are (sort of) two Genesises (or Genesii).

Will the current incarnation even go near things like Supper's Ready or will it just be  Invisible Touch and the like?

I’d be surprised if they did that, but on their last tour in 2007 they did plenty of Gabriel era stuff, like Firth of Fifth, Carpet Crawlers etc. 

32 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I struggle to separate Genesis and Collins’ solo stuff.

For me, Collins' is the stuff I've heard and Genesis' is the stuff I haven't. Very aware of who Genesis are, even their members names, but I went through their songs after the reunion announcement expecting to recognise a few but didn't. 

Edited by The Martini Police

Fleetwood Mac have crossed generations and their songs are widely known amongst anybody with an interest in music. Don’t think the same can be said about Genesis - are their any young Genesis fans?!

That said, they still ain’t gonna play the legend slot as I’m sure they see themselves as above it.

20 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

erm ... Genesis were a feckin' HUUUUGE!!!! 80s pop band. ;)

(yes, they were also that boring 70s prog thing, but that's where they got niche love and not huge hits).

IF anything for the UK, Genesis broke into the mainstream at a massively greater rate than Mac did.

My frame of reference is exclusively what my dad listened to when I was a kid, which was the prog stuff. I always assumed the 80's stuff was Phil solo.

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

Fleetwood Mac have crossed generations and their songs are widely known amongst anybody with an interest in music. Don’t think the same can be said about Genesis - are their any young Genesis fans?!

That said, they still ain’t gonna play the legend slot as I’m sure they see themselves as above it.

I like a bit of Phil Collins and Genesis at 19. Then again I listen to Erasure so I’m a anomaly. Parents indoctrination. 

5 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

A touch more than 10 years ago when I was talking with Michael Eavis, he said "no one cares about Fleetwood Mac anymore" - and at the time he was right.

They got lucky really for the current interest, that's all. Wasn't their music featured a fair bit in Glee (so my slaughter once said)? Plus a bit of love from Florence.

Having said that, Mac's 80s production probably stands up a bit better today than Genesis's does. Genesis have more of that big-hair-synth-80s thing going on, which hasn't aged so well.

Edited by eFestivals

I only know Genesis as the band Jeremy Clarkson likes. Phil Collins had that chocolate advert song. Peter Gabriel gets name checked in that Vampire Weekend song (I have no idea why).

Normally I'm all about trying to fix these blind spots in my music knowledge but I have zero intentions to do that with Genesis. Those prices are absolutely staggering though, part of me wants to now.