Tour Announcements & Upcoming Gigs

FloorFiller

33 minutes ago, Quark said:

Was really surprised at how rabid the fan base was there (in a good way)! Did not expect that at all :)

I interviewed Aaron last year when they played the Haunt, and not surprisingly, Glastonbury is on their must do list.  I asked him again at the Dome in December when I bumped into him, and he raised crossed fingers, so here's hoping!

Got my tickets for the London gig in April!

• Upvote 1

I’ll be going to the Readers gig in Sheffield. Been into them for years so been nice to see there rise. First saw them touring supporting October Drift at Corp in Sheffield. Would love nothing more then to see them get a decent Glasto spot. They thoroughly deserve it. 

1 hour ago, Dronx said:

I’ll be going to the Readers gig in Sheffield. Been into them for years so been nice to see there rise. First saw them touring supporting October Drift at Corp in Sheffield. Would love nothing more then to see them get a decent Glasto spot. They thoroughly deserve it. 

You going to see OD on the latest tour ? I’m seeing them in Bristol and the acoustic set they are doing in hmv on Friday for the album launch :) 

1 minute ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

yep im going to the Taunton version ....  acoustic only ... just trying to work out how to cancel my download on Apple music so I can get a signed album ... might end up with both anyway :) 

I'd never listened to their music, but had heard of Black Country, New Road before I caught their gig in Edinburgh the other day. They are currently on tour in the UK, and most of their shows are sold out (including Edinburgh). Do they live up to the hype? Yes, but not without some reservations. For this non-initiated listener they reminded me of some bands from the 'No New York' compilation album, especially their music’s distinctive freakiness. But their performance is more controlled and organized, and their technical prowess undeniable.

On the other hand, I'm not sure if they'll end up as the next Arcade Fire, as touted in an Internet review I read recently. IMHO, at the moment, their material is not quite catchy enough to gain mass appeal. It remains to be seen whether they'll reach a wider audience beyond indy connoisseurs.

59 minutes ago, zzzfest said:

I'd never listened to their music, but had heard of Black Country, New Road before I caught their gig in Edinburgh the other day. They are currently on tour in the UK, and most of their shows are sold out (including Edinburgh). Do they live up to the hype? Yes, but not without some reservations. For this non-initiated listener they reminded me of some bands from the 'No New York' compilation album, especially their music’s distinctive freakiness. But their performance is more controlled and organized, and their technical prowess undeniable.

On the other hand, I'm not sure if they'll end up as the next Arcade Fire, as touted in an Internet review I read recently. IMHO, at the moment, their material is not quite catchy enough to gain mass appeal. It remains to be seen whether they'll reach a wider audience beyond indy connoisseurs.

I like them. They are probably down for the park or JP stage

1 hour ago, zzzfest said:

They're quite okay and are flavour of the month but I don't see them as destined for greatness (IMO) and there is not really any comparison to be made between them and Arcade Fire. They are more like 'Be Safe' by the Cribs but a whole band of it (and also without being anywhere near as good as 'Be Safe' by the Cribs).

Edited by mattiloy
edit

12 hours ago, zzzfest said:

I struggled with them when I saw them last year. To me it felt like a bunch of talented musicians playing different songs simultaneously with a Jim Morrison style breakdown on vocals. I don't think I've ever said anything that has made me sound so old. It probably wasn't helped by playing late afternoon. I'd possibly give them another go but certainly wouldn't be rushing to get to the front.

• Upvote 1

Agree that Slow Readers Club deserve a decent Glastonbury spot.   Saw them last year and they were a really great live band, perfect for festivals.

They just seem to be one of those bands that will always get overlooked by major radio and festivals despite being able to shift tickets though.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, FakeEmpire said:

Agree that Slow Readers Club deserve a decent Glastonbury spot.   Saw them last year and they were a really great live band, perfect for festivals.

They just seem to be one of those bands that will always get overlooked by major radio and festivals despite being able to shift tickets though.

I am amazed they have yet to be booked. Saw them at Beautiful Days (which you would think was not entirely their demographic) and they were flipping brilliant. They could easily headline WG, or play JP/Park. Wouldn't like to see them on the Other.

• Like 1

I really like Black Country, New Road, they've got Will's Green/Crows Nest written all over them. 

I've ended up seeing them 3 times this week (I'm not that big a fan, I just ended up with that many tickets) and at this point I reckon they could do with writing a few more actual songs as the charm of them all pissing about on stage does wear thin.

Sunglasses is still a propa banga though.

1 hour ago, CP_8 said:

The strokes announced a string of festivals dates in Europe before and after glastonbury, including playing in France on the Saturday of glastonbury. They haven’t  announced any UK dates yet

38F6708B-9331-491F-90E5-D264CCDDA100.png

Be very interesting to see where in the UK they play! At this stage, Glastonbury has to be on the cards surely?

Obviously there is the fee issue but you never know.

Edited by hhunting

1 hour ago, priest17 said:

I really like Black Country, New Road, they've got Will's Green/Crows Nest written all over them. 

I've ended up seeing them 3 times this week (I'm not that big a fan, I just ended up with that many tickets) and at this point I reckon they could do with writing a few more actual songs as the charm of them all pissing about on stage does wear thin.

Sunglasses is still a propa banga though.

yeh, could see them getting the Williams Green slot 11am like Midi/Squid had in 2019.

Surely Crows Nest too for the Speedy Takeover

• Like 1