Tour Announcements & Upcoming Gigs

FloorFiller

19 minutes ago, Mardy said:

I know man, I know. Exactly why I deleted my post yesterday evening. I get it, I really do. I don’t agree with it, but I do understand it. 

I think every single person must be somewhat susceptible to nostalgia in their music choices - if anyone wasn’t I’d be sus about how strongly they actually feel connection to music. It’s just not pulling the plug on new music all together, that’s important.

Obviously whether the fans are one camp or the other, that’s not the band’s problem. They’re just doing their job and getting paid. And let’s face it, the Happy Monday’s won’t have saved any money from the 90’s will they?

13 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I think every single person must be somewhat susceptible to nostalgia in their music choices - if anyone wasn’t I’d be sus about how strongly they actually feel connection to music. It’s just not pulling the plug on new music all together, that’s important.

Obviously whether the fans are one camp or the other, that’s not the band’s problem. They’re just doing their job and getting paid. And let’s face it, the Happy Monday’s won’t have saved any money from the 90’s will they?

Absolutely, I have a lot of nostalgia for the Mondays, I listen to them from time to time. I think listening to a record from when they were young, vital, thrilling and urgent is very different from seeing them 'plastering on a fake smile and going through their shit again' ((c) Bill Hicks.

Of course they can do what they want as a band, but equally, doing something merely because you get paid for it knocks you off the artistic roll call, I reckon. And pissing on your legacy equally means if they don't give a fuck about their art, why should I give them my money?

2 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Not to mention youngsters that want to feel connected to and pay tribute to an era they missed.

Huge huge worrying  problem, in my opinion. Ig Glastonbury 1970 hadn't had T. Rex but Glenn Miller instead, whould it be what it is? Every musical movement, every vibrant piece of youth culture comes from people rejecting their parents music, not witlessly paying homage to it.

But anyway, it's the Internet, ain't no-one's opinion going to move an inch

It's one of the things I really find frustrating on here. it's full of people who define themselves as music fans, but nobody really wants to confront the fact that this addiction to the past is what's absolutely strangling and endangering modern music. 

1 minute ago, Mardy said:

It's one of the things I really find frustrating on here. it's full of people who define themselves as music fans, but nobody really wants to confront the fact that this addiction to the past is what's absolutely strangling and endangering modern music. 

It isn't

1 minute ago, Mardy said:

Son, I'm sixty

I only went with your mother 'cos she sips tea

I don't know what this means but loads of new music exists and it good, the daft sadsacks who want to dress up like their dads and listen to shit Britpop from before they were born aren't exactly a massive loss.

7 minutes ago, Mardy said:

addiction to the past is what's absolutely strangling and endangering modern music. 

Not sure about this Mardy.... surely it’s age dependent.... individual preferences will naturally gravitate towards the music of their era. It would be true if younger people were also favouring older acts, but I don’t think that’s happening. 

Im more concerned about the way new music is accessed / delivered / promoted now. My kids can basically access it all for a small fee, and I can’t for the life of me see how enough new artists or even new genres emerge under those circumstances. And don’t get me started on Simon Cowell.

20 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I don't know what this means but loads of new music exists and it good, the daft sadsacks who want to dress up like their dads and listen to shit Britpop from before they were born aren't exactly a massive loss.

Hes mocking the the Happy Mondays song Kinky Afro. 

Son, Im 30

I only slept with your mother cause shes dirty. 

I can see his point somewhat about older bands stagnating new ones coming through but I dont think its quite as bad as hes making out. 

Its always happened where musicians from yesteryear have still be prevalent in new generations. The wider problem in music today is how much the platform has changed in a small period of time and most musicians have fully adapted to that yet. 

In the past the big changes came from switching from Vinyl to Casette to CD etc but essentially you bought music the same, chart music was more prevelent, people bought albuns, listened to the radio more and when that switched it was replaced somewhat by music TV. 

Theres no real scenes for the mostpart and mainstream media doesnt hold the opinion of the public it used to. 

Changing times have meant changing ways of making music, listeners are different, gigging is different. I thibk people see old touring bands and think they are holding up the current scene but it more that were aware of how much they tour now. Before you saw a flyer in the local record shop and bought tickets there, theyd miss cities on rotated tours so it wasnt as often but now we can see where they are whenever we want. If you wanna support new bands, just go see them though, no ones forcing you to spend your money on the old bands. 

25 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Huge huge worrying  problem, in my opinion. Ig Glastonbury 1970 hadn't had T. Rex but Glenn Miller instead, whould it be what it is? Every musical movement, every vibrant piece of youth culture comes from people rejecting their parents music, not witlessly paying homage to it.

But anyway, it's the Internet, ain't no-one's opinion going to move an inch

No but that's a bit of a leap,  we're talking about people throwing down 20 quid for a bit of a boogie. I go to 40 odd gigs a year, none particularly nostalgic, and its popping out there. I don't really see the issue.

I'd happily change my opinion, if it was ever wrong ahah.

7 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Nostalgia's fine in itself but it's good for it to be tempered with a healthy curiosity about the best aspects of the present and the possibilities of the future.  It's when helps facilitate a mindset where "everything's not as good as it used to be" that it becomes a liability.

Still though, its needed in the scene. How many people go to festivals to see older bands and then find a lot of new acts they love from doing so. Even when you go to see them theyll often have newer bands as support and its been a great way of finding new bands I like for me for decades. 

Its about balance really plus when do you class a band as irrelevant, plenty bands that have been past their prime have been able to conhure something up and release an absolute banger. Hell some of Cashs later albums were better than the majority of music release in the 00s for example. 

6 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

For sure.  I'm one nostalgic motherfucker.  I dunno how I'm ever gonna top having seen Kenny, Dolly and Barry all do Islands In The Stream on the Pymild. 

The Treble.

Mandatory performance for every Legends slot

(content warning: this isn't particularly good)

Edited by GETOFFAMYLAWN

27 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The issue is that Britpop itself has become a cultural bellwether and - arguably - the moment where the trousers of time split at the gusset.  Now every set of no marks with guitars is harking back to Bonehead and the lads as a primordial creation myth.

Like who? Are you saying we're in the midst of a Britpop revival where the mainstream is full of bands imitating Oasis? I must be more out of touch than I thought. Guitar music is kind of played out at this point so it doesn't really wash to say that the few new guitar bands around sound like old acts - not when most new musical acts aren't guitar bands.

But seriously, I probably have missed the acts you're talking about - can you give some examples?

31 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Courteeners? Catfish?  But I agree its not especially a recent thing - guitar music largely disappeared up its own jacksie a few years back and one of the major contributory factors imho is an adherence to Britpopish conservatism.

Interesting video saying that rock (as represented by electric guitars) has recently left the mainstream.