Green Man Festival 2018

Chawk

The day splits are now on the website https://www.greenman.net/line-up/2018/?day=thursday

Does anybody know if this will be the running order, it is for the Thursday where the timings have been announced, because that would seem to throw up a whole new set of clashes for me compared to the clashfinder running order

30 minutes ago, Losing my hair said:

The day splits are now on the website https://www.greenman.net/line-up/2018/?day=thursday

Does anybody know if this will be the running order, it is for the Thursday where the timings have been announced, because that would seem to throw up a whole new set of clashes for me compared to the clashfinder running order

I personally would trust that the GM website day splits are in order as that is most common. 

Therefore as clash finder is a secondary site, it is yet to be updated. 

1 hour ago, ian the worm said:

I personally would trust that the GM website day splits are in order as that is most common. 

Therefore as clash finder is a secondary site, it is yet to be updated. 

I've just updated the Clashfinder with the website running order for the 4 main stages.  Not sure it's 100% right though for a variety of reasons, but particularly who the early hours sets are, etc.

Edited by Born in the fifties

This is getting exciting now! Can't believe it's only a week away, it's come around well quickly. I guess that's because I left it quite late to buy tickets compared to most festivals (Glastonbury is like eight months of waiting!).

Just checking the weather forecast (probably too far out to be reliable) - bit of rain on the Thursday but otherwise looking okay... 

Yeah they already published day splits and running order on the poster. Those website listings are only useful for the smaller stages not on the poster, and even then it’ll change when the actual times come out.

edit: see the poster below, it’s these kind of posters that I based the clashfinder on and anticipate bein correct over the website listings.

Edited by dentalplan

On 6 August 2018 at 7:10 PM, benali said:

Even at the friendliest of festivals I'd never leave any valuables in the main compartment of my tent. Just obvious really! We've had no trouble at any of the 8 Green Man's we've been to but people near us had stuff taken last year. 

If anyone's going to try and put a hand in and grab the nearest bag from our tent they'll be making off with nothing but some dirty pants. 

Cash machines can have a fair queue at peak times but are fine outside of them. And yes they charge. 

The festival is walkable to Crickhowell, along the river, where there are non charging cash machines

1 hour ago, benali said:

Weather forecast looks better than it did a couple of days ago. Just a few hours of light rain on Thursday scheduled by the Met Office now.

Surely we won't be that lucky?

The only certainty with Green Man weather is that it won't be what the forecast says. That valley does its own thing entirely, it's another dimension separate from the rest of the world. I've learned to expect every possible type of weather in the space of a single afternoon, and that's how I like it.

2 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

The only certainty with Green Man weather is that it won't be what the forecast says. That valley does its own thing entirely, it's another dimension separate from the rest of the world. I've learned to expect every possible type of weather in the space of a single afternoon, and that's how I like it.

I can vouch for this. First time last year but you could see the weather changing sometimes every half hour ?

So the week is dawning, final planning can commence. Still daren't look at weather, but am hoping to pack my "big" not-exactly-waterproof tent (small waterproof popup packed as an offering to the weather gods). Question is, where do I pitch it? I see the camping snakes around the north of the site - are there any areas that are "far away" from the entrance to the arena? I can see a couple of entrances on the map, I presume they're all public entrances (east of the mountain stage, behind mountain stage, and from the north-west corner)? I was hoping for a roomier camping area than I usually experience at festivals...

Also I can't quite get the idea of scale from the map. We're parking in Orange Car Park - how far will I be lugging my stuff, bearing in mind I might be packing heavy this year? Also, where do you get wristbands? I presume just en route from whatever car park you're in to the camping area?

I've kind of missed the meticulous planning that goes into Glastonbury :)

Doing a bit of last minute prep. I didn't know any Simian Mobile Disco other than I Believe off FIFA, but they are sounding very good. Had no idea they'd worked with the likes of Alexis Taylor and Gruff Rhys. The new stuff with the choir is really nice; I reckon their set has some serious potential.

I'd never got round to Teenage Fanclub before either. Everything Flows and It's All In My Mind are fucking great tracks. They remind me of someone else but I can't place who, maybe REM? Defo gonna have to delve into their back catalogue at some point but just gonna swot up on the stuff they're likely to play live for now. Teleman -> Teenage Fanclub -> Simian Mobile Disco is a super tasty Saturday night on the second stage. I assume Teleman clash with Phoebe Bridgers which is a shame, but hopefully it works out not to be the case, as I defo wanna see both.

Got Break-Thru by Dirty Projectors on atm and this is a huge tune. I swear I put these on and thought they were shit but maybe it was someone else. 

Properly hyped for the festival now. Btw, did anyone else volunteering get an email recently with yr ticket? And it mentioned having to fill in a form but then there's no link to it? I've emailed eventree about it but if anyone's already got a solution then let me know, if not I'll put it on here when I get a reply.

Edit: Just found this. I assume it's not actually a farewell tour as isn't she kinda new? Is it a joke I'm not in on? I'll choose her if it's the last ever chance to see her, so just checking.

DjmvhjQVsAEgFXP[1].jpg

Edited by Odessa

25 minutes ago, Odessa said:

Edit: Just found this. I assume it's not actually a farewell tour as isn't she kinda new? Is it a joke I'm not in on? I'll choose her if it's the last ever chance to see her, so just checking.

She's just goofin off, isn't she.

Really wanted to go to this, even tried to blag a dissertation extension so I'd have time to do it but they've not gotten back to me so looks like no dice on that. Ah well, have fun everyone who's going.

2 hours ago, Fearless_Fish said:

I've kind of missed the meticulous planning that goes into Glastonbury :)

If you're used to Glastonbury then distances at Green Man are largely irrelevant. It's super compact.

If you're packing heavy then you may well find some good space in the first camping area as you come down from the car park as a lot of people want to get closer. It is a bit hilly there though. From there you come down behind the main (Mountain) stage where it will be busy but not crazy. If you want more space you can carry on down towards the bend in the river. There's plenty of room for everyone though so folk generally won't mind you 'defending' a reasonable bit of space with a windbreak/gazebo/etc., wherever you land.

10 hours ago, Suggestives said:

If you're used to Glastonbury then distances at Green Man are largely irrelevant. It's super compact.

If you're packing heavy then you may well find some good space in the first camping area as you come down from the car park as a lot of people want to get closer. It is a bit hilly there though. From there you come down behind the main (Mountain) stage where it will be busy but not crazy. If you want more space you can carry on down towards the bend in the river. There's plenty of room for everyone though so folk generally won't mind you 'defending' a reasonable bit of space with a windbreak/gazebo/etc., wherever you land.

Ah so is the West side of the site the emptiest then? I presumed the Orange car park would be the "big one" since it was the only one available when I booked, and therefore everyone would be plonking tents down at the first opportunity near there. 

I've noticed the quiet camping is the next field along from the general camping (coming from the Orange car park). Does that normally get full?

27 minutes ago, Fearless_Fish said:

and therefore everyone would be plonking tents down at the first opportunity near there. 

That's more or less what I did last year, with it being my first time and not knowing site at all.  Arrived Orange Car Park, got wrist band, then camped up in the first spot I found.  It seemed to me most folks venture deeper into the camping areas to get closer to the stages, so the periphery fills up last.  There was space there on Friday morning and it never got super rammed in any case.  But, as others have noted, the site is rather 'compact' and, wherever you are, it's never a huge schlep to get to the stages in any case.  I had a walk round all the camping areas and even in the busiest spots it's never super high density e.g. the insanity of Pennards at Glastonbury.