Green Man Festival 2018

Chawk

53 minutes ago, Fearless_Fish said:

Does Green Man have any property lockups within the main arena a la Glastonbury? Need to figure out what we can take in without needing to head back to the tent.

From the Green Man website:

PROPERTY LOCKUP

The Safe and Sound Property Lock-up is brought to you by volunteers from the Greater Manchester Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament (CND). It’s open 24 hours a day until 12 noon on Monday in the big, white marquee next to the food stalls in the Disability Camping Area. Property lock-ups are free and they also charge phones for the bargain price of just £3, with all proceeds going to CND.

54 minutes ago, grumpyhack said:

From the Green Man website:

PROPERTY LOCKUP

The Safe and Sound Property Lock-up is brought to you by volunteers from the Greater Manchester Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament (CND). It’s open 24 hours a day until 12 noon on Monday in the big, white marquee next to the food stalls in the Disability Camping Area. Property lock-ups are free and they also charge phones for the bargain price of just £3, with all proceeds going to CND.

Could've sworn I checked the site, I'm losing the plot! Cheers for the info. I guess it's that CND tent on the map?

Friendly warning while we're on the subject, keep your valuables with you while you sleep!

Yes, Green Man is one of the nicest and friendliest crowds you'll come across, and the staff are incredible, but unfortunately there's nothing that can be done to stop people buying a ticket with nefarious intent. Last year a lot of tents in family were robbed, I was stewarding there on the Friday morning and I had a lot of visits from upset parents who'd had their phones and wallets nabbed from the tents while they slept. There had been professional security patrolling all night, and the police were called to investigate, but I really don't think the victims would've seen their possessions ever again.

Each story was the same, the victims had left their wallet or phone on the main compartment of the tent, got their head down to sleep and woke up next morning with their stuff gone. The thieves were just after soft targets with no resistance, so if you keep your money and phone in the lockups or in your sleeping bag over night, there's nothing they can do.

There's no need to be scared or worried, the thieves are utter cowards who don't want any greif at all, never heard any stories of them so much as looking at anybody else, but they WILL rob your stuff if they can. It's really not nice to see parents who've spent so much money to take their family on a nice trip having such a lovely festival wrecked for them, I'd be absolutely distraught to be in that position. As long as everybody just keeps makes sure their valuables safe, you'll have a brilliant time.

1 hour ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Friendly warning while we're on the subject, keep your valuables with you while you sleep!

Yes, Green Man is one of the nicest and friendliest crowds you'll come across, and the staff are incredible, but unfortunately there's nothing that can be done to stop people buying a ticket with nefarious intent. Last year a lot of tents in family were robbed, I was stewarding there on the Friday morning and I had a lot of visits from upset parents who'd had their phones and wallets nabbed from the tents while they slept. There had been professional security patrolling all night, and the police were called to investigate, but I really don't think the victims would've seen their possessions ever again.

Each story was the same, the victims had left their wallet or phone on the main compartment of the tent, got their head down to sleep and woke up next morning with their stuff gone. The thieves were just after soft targets with no resistance, so if you keep your money and phone in the lockups or in your sleeping bag over night, there's nothing they can do.

There's no need to be scared or worried, the thieves are utter cowards who don't want any greif at all, never heard any stories of them so much as looking at anybody else, but they WILL rob your stuff if they can. It's really not nice to see parents who've spent so much money to take their family on a nice trip having such a lovely festival wrecked for them, I'd be absolutely distraught to be in that position. As long as everybody just keeps makes sure their valuables safe, you'll have a brilliant time.

Definitely good advice, although this is kind of thing always freaks me out a bit! I tend to use the lock-ups and sleep with my phone and purse (with not much in it) in my sleeping bag at other festivals, but it's the idea of someone coming in and looking for stuff that I hate the most!

What's the cash machine situation like?

Edit: I've just spotted one on the map - does it charge? And is there usually a big queue? Think I'll try to draw some out beforehand and put it on lock-ups, which is my usual Glastonbury strategy. 

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

3 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Definitely good advice, although this is kind of thing always freaks me out a bit! I tend to use the lock-ups and sleep with my phone and purse (with not much in it) in my sleeping bag at other festivals, but it's the idea of someone coming in and looking for stuff that I hate the most!

What's the cash machine situation like?

Edit: I've just spotted one on the map - does it charge? And is there usually a big queue? Think I'll try to draw some out beforehand and put it on lock-ups, which is my usual Glastonbury strategy. 

Even at the friendliest of festivals I'd never leave any valuables in the main compartment of my tent. Just obvious really! We've had no trouble at any of the 8 Green Man's we've been to but people near us had stuff taken last year. 

If anyone's going to try and put a hand in and grab the nearest bag from our tent they'll be making off with nothing but some dirty pants. 

Cash machines can have a fair queue at peak times but are fine outside of them. And yes they charge. 

12 minutes ago, benali said:

Even at the friendliest of festivals I'd never leave any valuables in the main compartment of my tent. Just obvious really! We've had no trouble at any of the 8 Green Man's we've been to but people near us had stuff taken last year. 

If anyone's going to try and put a hand in and grab the nearest bag from our tent they'll be making off with nothing but some dirty pants. 

Cash machines can have a fair queue at peak times but are fine outside of them. And yes they charge. 

Cool thanks for the info. Withdraw first and lock up it is! :)

Good sensible advice, after all most of us wouldn't leave our purse in an unlocked car overnight. But agree the thought of someone poking about is horrid. 

Do stalls and bars do cashless payments? 

23 minutes ago, bexj said:

Good sensible advice, after all most of us wouldn't leave our purse in an unlocked car overnight. But agree the thought of someone poking about is horrid. 

Do stalls and bars do cashless payments? 

Some stalls do. For example Rough Trade and some of the clothes shops, Fire Toys does as well.

Not sure about food stalls. None of the ones I've been to have, nor the bars. 

I only became aware of the amount of phones which are pick-pocketed after my son had his IPhone stolen at YNOT festival a couple of weeks ago. Him and one of his friends both lost their phones at the same gig. He reported it to the police that night and he found out a couple of days later that the police had a bag with more than 20 iphones in; his wasn't one of them but I think they're unusable once blocked anyway. My nephew's girlfriend also had £180 stolen from their tent while they were asleep. I always keep all my money in a front pocket when out and under my pillow while asleep.

On 8/4/2018 at 7:37 PM, Zoo Music Girl said:

Probably a bit cheeky to crash someone else's forum meet without at least posting there as well first, but it sounds like a good area for it if you wanted to do a separate Efests meet anyway. I always try to go to these things and then chicken out/get distracted but will try my best! A few bands I'm interested in seeing in that area so will be round there anyway.

Hi folks,

I posted the details of the meet-up on the Green Man forum and an efests group would absolutely be very welcome to join in .. the more the merrier.

It's all completely casual anyway, just an opportunity to catch up with old friends or make some new acquaintances that, given the compact size of Green Man you're likely to bump into again at some point over the weekend. 

We've never been organised enough to sort out anything like flags or banners but if you're outside the End-Up bar, at the end furthest away from the Far Out tent, amongst some people with green t-shirts, you're in the right place. From 5pm onwards on the Thursday.

There's a Twitter account @ANDWMW for any last minute updates such as unexpected site layout or bar name changes.

Hope to see a few of you there.

1 minute ago, Suggestives said:

Hi folks,

I posted the details of the meet-up on the Green Man forum and an efests group would absolutely be very welcome to join in .. the more the merrier.

It's all completely casual anyway, just an opportunity to catch up with old friends or make some new acquaintances that, given the compact size of Green Man you're likely to bump into again at some point over the weekend. 

We've never been organised enough to sort out anything like flags or banners but if you're outside the End-Up bar, at the end furthest away from the Far Out tent, amongst some people with green t-shirts, you're in the right place. From 5pm onwards on the Thursday.

There's a Twitter account @ANDWMW for any last minute updates such as unexpected site layout or bar name changes.

Thanks for confirming! Will definitely try to pop along :)

Looks like I've finally managed to get some tickets, few questions I've held off from asking till the were secure!

Quiet camping was mentioned earlier, will be going for general camping, obviously its not going to be like Leeds but is it still fairly lively? Tend to sit up when we get back to the tent with music on obviously not too loud. It mentions you can bring BBQ on legs, do they let you have a small fire if its off the ground?

Theres acts on Far Out and Walled Garden till late, what other late night options are there?

It is an Arena festival? Whereabout's is the entrance? Are they strict on you bringing your own booze into the arena?

Do the carparks hold up pretty well if there weathers not great? Taking my Dad's car, thinking to use park and ride if the weathers as they're predicting at the minute! 

7 hours ago, Suggestives said:

Hi folks,

Thanks for the info.

So it seems Thursday is sorted: ITOP -> Bar + meet people -> Pictish Trail -> PSB

Looking forward to that, I'll try and dig out a green t-shirt, I think I've got a Green Day one somewhere; there's no way it still fits though!!

11 hours ago, Losing my hair said:

Thanks for the info.

So it seems Thursday is sorted: ITOP -> Bar + meet people -> Pictish Trail -> PSB

Looking forward to that, I'll try and dig out a green t-shirt, I think I've got a Green Day one somewhere; there's no way it still fits though!!

That's pretty much my Thursday too, although I'll be popping back into the tent for the wonderful Ed Dowie also.

Looking forward to seeing you ... I have that shrinking t-shirt problem too ? ?

11 hours ago, Ged Devereux said:

Looks like I've finally managed to get some tickets, few questions I've held off from asking till the were secure!

Quiet camping was mentioned earlier, will be going for general camping, obviously its not going to be like Leeds but is it still fairly lively? Tend to sit up when we get back to the tent with music on obviously not too loud. It mentions you can bring BBQ on legs, do they let you have a small fire if its off the ground?

Theres acts on Far Out and Walled Garden till late, what other late night options are there?

It is an Arena festival? Whereabout's is the entrance? Are they strict on you bringing your own booze into the arena?

Do the carparks hold up pretty well if there weathers not great? Taking my Dad's car, thinking to use park and ride if the weathers as they're predicting at the minute! 

As well as Far Out and Walled Garden there are late night shenanigans in Chai Wallah's and the 'Round the Twist' disco.

In my experience the camping areas tend to be quieter at night than other festivals, probably because there's so much on in the arena area. I think fires are a no-no.

There's a roadway running around the arena so there are a few entrances. The main one from GC comes in just beside the Mountain Stage.

The strictness of bag checks tends to vary from year to year, but if you're discreet you'll probably be okay to supplement the fabulous bar selections in the Courtyard (and Walled Garden for cider).

The carparks hold up reasonably well although some parts can get pretty grim if there's a lot of rain. P&R is a good option and the bus drops you close to the GC area. Only downside of course is that you have to take all your stuff in one go rather than being able to pop back to the car over the weekend.

5 hours ago, Suggestives said:

As well as Far Out and Walled Garden there are late night shenanigans in Chai Wallah's and the 'Round the Twist' disco.

In my experience the camping areas tend to be quieter at night than other festivals, probably because there's so much on in the arena area. I think fires are a no-no.

There's a roadway running around the arena so there are a few entrances. The main one from GC comes in just beside the Mountain Stage.

The strictness of bag checks tends to vary from year to year, but if you're discreet you'll probably be okay to supplement the fabulous bar selections in the Courtyard (and Walled Garden for cider).

The carparks hold up reasonably well although some parts can get pretty grim if there's a lot of rain. P&R is a good option and the bus drops you close to the GC area. Only downside of course is that you have to take all your stuff in one go rather than being able to pop back to the car over the weekend.

That's pretty much spot on advice. I'd just add that I've never had problems taking alcohol I to the arenas apart from a couple of years ago they were stopping people on the Thursday but then gave up afterwards.

There haven't been bag searches before, so as long as you aren't walking along drinking when going through you should be fine.

Sorry if this has already been asked - anybody who has gotten the shuttle bus from the train station before, how long does it typically take? The website says allow 90 mins, is that rounding up to make sure you don't miss your train home or is that more of an average time? 

3 hours ago, Aoife said:

Sorry if this has already been asked - anybody who has gotten the shuttle bus from the train station before, how long does it typically take? The website says allow 90 mins, is that rounding up to make sure you don't miss your train home or is that more of an average time? 

I think a lot will depend on time of day and how much general festival traffic there is. Under normal circumstances the journey is about 20mins so even in heavy traffic an hour should do it in most cases.