Jump to content
Chawk

Green Man Festival 2018

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, finn_with_1_n said:

How about Fleet Foxes? No dates in the UK scheduled for 2018 yet (and no dates in August whatsoever) and they headlined Latitude last year which is roughly double the size of Green Man so they are definitely capable of doing it.

I've not mentioned them as I'm quietly optimistic that we've dodged them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I've not mentioned them as I'm quietly optimistic that we've dodged them.

:lol:

I saw them at Latitude last year and was surprisingly impressed by them. Although they could lull anyone to sleep, I would take them over First Aid Kit any day

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, DiscothequeDave said:

No-one fancy the Pixies to headline?

It’d be good if it were to happen but there’s nothing to place them in Europe for another summer, really. Can’t be much left in this current tour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've only walked out of two gigs in my life and one of those was PSB at Wychwood.  Over hyped and over rated. Green Man can do better than PSB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Although Public Service Broadcasting's Race For Space album and shows were a lot of fun, that latest album is comfortably one of the worst records I've ever listened to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They were suggested for Thursday night headliners earlier on in the thread, which is a fairly nice result in my eyes at least. Alternatively I'd guess they'd be Far Out headliners or 2nd/3rd down Mountain Stage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, dentalplan said:

It’d be good if it were to happen but there’s nothing to place them in Europe for another summer, really. Can’t be much left in this current tour.

I'm convinced they'll headline the Marquee at Pukkelpop like PJ Harvey did this year. No basis for this but the tour dates do fall nicely for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Paid my deposit for stewarding so guess i'm going. 

Would love to see thee oh sees back as i missed them last year to watch ryan adams with a girl. Not worth it.

PSB on Thursday would be alright, similar vein to Ride. 

The headliners didn't excite me last year apart from PJ so not too bothered who does end up headlining. Best thing about GM for me is finding excellent bands on the line up i've never heard of. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see Fleet Foxes have been announced for a Portuguese festival the same weekend as Green Man. I reckon they’re more likely for End of the Road but they must be bound to headline one of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

I see Fleet Foxes have been announced for a Portuguese festival the same weekend as Green Man. I reckon they’re more likely for End of the Road but they must be bound to headline one of them.

Oh sweet. That’ll make choosing between the two this year easier. Just go to the one that doesn’t have Fleet Foxes!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Oh sweet. That’ll make choosing between the two this year easier. Just go to the one that doesn’t have Fleet Foxes!

Dig if you will the picture; EotR announce Fleet Foxes, pushing you towards Green Man, but then Green Man announce First Aid Kit whom you loathe so much. HOWEVER, Green Man also announce Caribou and Grizzly Bear as headliners, and have Protomartyr and Thundercat when EotR don't. AND THEN Green Man announce Big Byrne.

What do you do?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Dig if you will the picture; EotR announce Fleet Foxes, pushing you towards Green Man, but then Green Man announce First Aid Kit whom you loathe so much. HOWEVER, Green Man also announce Caribou and Grizzly Bear as headliners, and have Protomartyr and Thundercat when EotR don't. AND THEN Green Man announce Big Byrne.

What do you do?

Cliff Byrne retired in 2015.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Cliff Byrne retired in 2015.

Yeah I know who that is without Googling him, and I think it' a shame, he was the GOAT oral surgeon in my eyes, always will be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Dig if you will the picture; EotR announce Fleet Foxes, pushing you towards Green Man, but then Green Man announce First Aid Kit whom you loathe so much. HOWEVER, Green Man also announce Caribou and Grizzly Bear as headliners, and have Protomartyr and Thundercat when EotR don't. AND THEN Green Man announce Big Byrne.

What do you do?

This is easy. I see Protomartyr in May, continue enjoying Thundercat but imagining a live set would be exhausting, stand in the same spot for a year and I’ll see Caribou, feel a bit sad about missing Grizzly B but ultimately avoid First Aid Kit at all costs. Added irony when at EOTR I hide out in the woods while avoiding Fleet Foxes, only to suffer an injury from a run in with a real fox for which I need first aid but the only passer by is the wrong Cliff Byrne and not in fact a (retired) licensed medical professional but a right-back.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone been on a Settlers Pass before?  What's it like and would you recommend?  

I went to GM for the first time last year.  Really enjoyed myself and discovered some fantastic acts.  This year I'm really tempted to do a whole week .  Such a beautiful part of the world.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, warriormonk said:

Anyone been on a Settlers Pass before?  What's it like and would you recommend?  

Never done a Settler's Pass but from stewarding last year it seemed to be the nicest bit of the campsite, pretty much all of them had become mates and it seemed they would've happily lived there indefinitely in a commune if the rest of the festival never showed up. Seems to be a particular winner among the families with kids.

Edited by GETOFFAMYLAWN
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/01/2018 at 10:22 PM, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Never done a Settler's Pass but from stewarding last year it seemed to be the nicest bit of the campsite, pretty much all of them had become mates and it seemed they would've happily lived there indefinitely in a commune if the rest of the festival never showed up. Seems to be a particular winner among the families with kids.

Thanks for the reply.  I'm pretty much decided on this now.  I think me and my mate passed by the Settlers camp last year.  Pretty central.  Sounds like a good vibe!  We've got more of a posse coming this year I hope, with some of our mates who haven't been to a festival for years cos they've got kids.  We've told them GM is pretty much ideal for kids due to proximity of camp sites to stages, generally civilised atmosphere (even saw a queue at a bar!!), facilities etc.  I'm paying for my son this year.  He's now 18 so can go to the bar for me hehe!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only a week until tickets and line-up drop!

Was thinking today that Tune-Yards seem like a good fit to show up somewhere on the bill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Only a week until tickets and line-up drop!

Was thinking today that Tune-Yards seem like a good fit to show up somewhere on the bill.

Yes - seen them twice at EotR; but unsure if they have played Green Man.

There are a few bands with things out today that I think could be there (atleast according to my Spotify Release Radar),

Lucy Dacus

Eels

Gengahr

Gwenno

Hinds (again)

Lucius

Tune-Yards

Young Fathers

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

first announcement is usually a small one, it's enough to have a few good people on it. Always looks a packed line up come August.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, thinking of making this my Glasto Replacement Festival this year. I notice information is a little thinner on the ground for this fest. Regarding camping; this is one of the biggest talking points / decisions at Glastonbury - is there anything approaching the same level of planning required at Green Man? Which camping ground? Which car park? How far from car park to camping spot? How far from camping spot to arena? Does anywhere flood? How large a tent to take? Etc.

I debuted my Fresh 'n' Black tent at Glastonbury this year, but was thinking of taking a large 4 men tent to share with my girlfriend to Green Man. I figured if we were close to the car, and there's lot of space for camping (as opposed to Glasto) then me might be able to travel in a little more style and comfort this year, with warming tent carpets, a living area, porch etc. Especially as we wouldn't need to take as much booze (due to it being forbidden in the arena).

What are your experiences with camping at Green Man?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×