Green Man Festival 2018

Chawk

Just now, Fearless_Fish said:

Never been before - it's my Glasto replacement festival this year. Always looks lovely from what I've seen of it and I'm starting to get excited now. Camping trip this weekend to inspect the tent!

Snap! Does look a lovely little fest, hope it makes a decent substitute. 

13 hours ago, rug568 said:

just checked last year i got the email on the 4th of August. I think last year they were an organiser down so it was a bit later than usual. 

However it does depend on when you applied, because i think they give early birds first pick of the shifts. 

Thanks mate. 4th of August is cool. 

I didn't apply until April so doubt I'll be getting any choices then. Hope the Green Man Gods are kind!

12 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Snap! Does look a lovely little fest, hope it makes a decent substitute. 

I went to both last year and Green Man felt very 'easy'. You can just about stand wherever you like and nowhere is very far away....Chai Wallah's was a great early evening venue with some quality performances. It will rain though.

25 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Thanks for the info! Shame to not get the stage times ahead of time, but never mind. How much is the guide usually?

I think it was £7 last year if memory serves. It is a lovely publication though, and includes all of the beers and ciders on offer as well. 

In terms of clashfinder updating, I'm not sure to be honest. Could be working from nuggets of info from band's twitter or something and then shifting things accordingly. 

Edited by imamazed

3 minutes ago, SighMo said:

I went to both last year and Green Man felt very 'easy'. You can just about stand wherever you like and nowhere is very far away....Chai Wallah's was a great early evening venue with some quality performances. It will rain though.

Yes, I've been warned about the rain! Otherwise this sounds perfect, an easy festival is what I'm after.

And these may be famous last words, but after a month-long heatwave in London, a bit of rain seems less of a disaster than it normally would... I may well live to regret saying that. 

Just now, imamazed said:

I think it was £7 last year if memory serves. It is a lovely publication though, and includes all of the beers and ciders of offer as well. 

In terms of clashfinder updating, I'm not sure to be honest. Could be working from nuggets of info from band's twitter or something and then shifting things accordingly. 

Ah not too bad - I've been to fests where they charge £15 before!

5 minutes ago, SighMo said:

I don't like it when it rains.

1 minute ago, imamazed said:

I think it was £7 last year if memory serves. It is a lovely publication though, and includes all of the beers and ciders of offer as well. 

Ah of course, I forgot people go to that level for info on here

30 minutes ago, Fearless_Fish said:

Why's the clashfinder updating though? Is it based on new info? Or is someone just slow refining it over time..?

I’ve kept a play-by-play account on the landing page. Most recent edits have been mending Sunday as it has fewer acts than recent years and also adding the Rising order, which I only noticed was out not long ago.

32 minutes ago, Odessa said:

Thanks mate. 4th of August is cool. 

I didn't apply until April so doubt I'll be getting any choices then. Hope the Green Man Gods are kind!

As it happens I got my email last night! I applied in January this year,  but last year I applied in June and got second choice and still had a lot of choice. 

pretty good, on shift E. Would have gone for shift A but don't want to miss Teleman or John grant on Saturday evening 

Here are the shifts btw: 

Shift A Thursday 0700-1300 Friday 1300-1900 Saturday 1900-0100
Meals Thursday Dinner Friday Breakfast Saturday Lunch
Shift B Thursday 1300-1900 Friday 1900-0100 Sunday 0100-0700
Meals Thursday Breakfast Friday Lunch Sunday Breakfast
Shift C Thursday 1900-0100 Saturday 0100-0700 Sunday 0700-1300
Meals Thursday Lunch Saturday Breakfast Sunday Dinner
Shift D Friday 0100-0700 Saturday 0700-1300 Sunday 1300-1900
Meals Friday Breakfast Saturday Dinner Sunday Breakfast
Shift E Friday 0700-1300 Saturday 1300-1900 Sunday 1900-0100
Meals Friday Dinner Saturday Breakfast Sunday Lunch
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, rug568 said:

pretty good, on shift E. Would have gone for shift A but don't want to miss Teleman or John grant on Saturday evening 

Here are the shifts btw: 

Shift A Thursday 0700-1300 Friday 1300-1900 Saturday 1900-0100
Meals Thursday Dinner Friday Breakfast Saturday Lunch
Shift B Thursday 1300-1900 Friday 1900-0100 Sunday 0100-0700
Meals Thursday Breakfast Friday Lunch Sunday Breakfast
Shift C Thursday 1900-0100 Saturday 0100-0700 Sunday 0700-1300
Meals Thursday Lunch Saturday Breakfast Sunday Dinner
Shift D Friday 0100-0700 Saturday 0700-1300 Sunday 1300-1900
Meals Friday Breakfast Saturday Dinner Sunday Breakfast
Shift E Friday 0700-1300 Saturday 1300-1900 Sunday 1900-0100
Meals Friday Dinner Saturday Breakfast Sunday Lunch

Lol you've picked the one I will be 100% trying to avoid due to The War On Drugs playing Sunday night so cheers for that. :lol:

Shift A looks ideal for me, but I imagine A and E will be the first to go due to no night shifts so I'm not hopeful. Cheers for sending that!

26 minutes ago, Odessa said:

Lol you've picked the one I will be 100% trying to avoid due to The War On Drugs playing Sunday night so cheers for that. :lol:

Shift A looks ideal for me, but I imagine A and E will be the first to go due to no night shifts so I'm not hopeful. Cheers for sending that!

night shifts stewarding at green man are a real killer as literally nothing happens and you just sit in the cold and stare into space. 

No worries, already seen war on drugs this year so wasn't that bothered. I know they're a bit unfashionable on here but really looking forward to fleet foxes 

28 minutes ago, rug568 said:

night shifts stewarding at green man are a real killer as literally nothing happens and you just sit in the cold and stare into space. 

No worries, already seen war on drugs this year so wasn't that bothered. I know they're a bit unfashionable on here but really looking forward to fleet foxes 

I've got my mate on board for shift A now so fingers crossed. We've got D as a backup option. Really really want to avoid C as I'd rather not go at all than work those shifts, you'd only be able to fully enjoy Sunday night and there's a good chance you'd be knackered by that point.

Ahh that makes sense then if you've only just seen them. Yeah Fleet Foxes aren't my thing but I thought they had pretty good cred.

On 7/17/2018 at 4:19 PM, Odessa said:

Apologies if I've asked this before, but please can someone tell me when they usually let volunteers know when their shifts are gonna be? Is it in advance of the festival or when you get there? I was hoping to have them by now so I could book specific trains for less than an open return would cost. Cheers.

They've just started allocating :)

https://www.facebook.com/greenmansteward/posts/10160451993880262

2 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

What are people's thoughts about the likely weather now? Anyone know of a good reliable long-range forecast (not sure they exist...)

I've been fully expecting it to be quite cool and likely wet, but the weather this summer has been pretty crazy so far. Any sign of the heatwave breaking?

Waaaaay too soon to be thinking about the weather.

Could be anything really, although you can now look at long term forecasts (https://www.theweatheroutlook.com/twoforecasts/17-to-30-day-outlook.aspx?region=2) which suggest a fair bit cooler than it is now, with some showers. That's probably about right.

6 hours ago, Mash011 said:

Take it I'm gonna get shafted with the worst shifts imaginable if I apply now then lol. Kinda considering it.

Me too! Are they even still accepting applications though? I know it says they are on the website but it seems really short notice...I emailed the stewarding team earlier but have had no response ?

Suddenly decided I really wanna go!

10 minutes ago, waituntilspring said:

Me too! Are they even still accepting applications though? I know it says they are on the website but it seems really short notice...I emailed the stewarding team earlier but have had no response ?

Suddenly decided I really wanna go!

I've been seeing ads for stewarding places and the form will just straight up let you pay your deposit so looks like it ya. Kinda considering it now we're going into the last month of fezzy season and I only have eotr lined up but not sure yet. It's only really King Gizz I'd be gutted to miss I guess.

4 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

I've been seeing ads for stewarding places and the form will just straight up let you pay your deposit so looks like it ya. Kinda considering it now we're going into the last month of fezzy season and I only have eotr lined up but not sure yet. It's only really King Gizz I'd be gutted to miss I guess.

Ah great, thanks. ? Reckon I'm going to go for it in that case, even though the worst shifts are a given at this stage! I'd be disappointed to miss Teenage Fanclub and John Grant but I guess I can catch them elsewhere in the autumn. Should be a good experience. 

22 hours ago, Mash011 said:

Take it I'm gonna get shafted with the worst shifts imaginable if I apply now then lol. Kinda considering it.

Do it Mash man. Shifts are on a pattern, there's one morning, one day and one night for everybody (or at last there was last year). Also last year was short handed so you could pick whichever pattern you wanted.

23 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Do it Mash man. Shifts are on a pattern, there's one morning, one day and one night for everybody (or at last there was last year). Also last year was short handed so you could pick whichever pattern you wanted.

this year is also struggling, i got an email begging for the current stewards to get friends to sign up

I'm still waiting on being able to select shifts after having my volunteering spot confirmed in mid April. Praying for shift A availability. My Lost Village work has ended up that I'm free Friday night and all weekend though, so it'd probably be too perfect to get what I want here as well!

Also, this is cheeky as fuck, but if anyone has room in their car for an extra crate of beer that'd be amazing. I'm going on the train so I'll take some spirits but lugging cans down there isn't gonna be ideal. Pint or two on me for any hero who helps out, gotta be worth asking at least. :P