Green Man Festival 2018

Chawk

7 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Good to know, thanks! What's the site like after a bit of rain? Are we talking mega mudbath or does it normally hold out?

They've made various improvements to the site over the years to help cope with wet weather. It holds up well.

On 7/2/2018 at 2:58 PM, Zoo Music Girl said:

Good to know, thanks! What's the site like after a bit of rain? Are we talking mega mudbath or does it normally hold out?

I haven't been to the last two/three but have attended a few years in a row before that. It's nothing on the scale of Glasto mud. Rained heavy a few times when I've been and it's always been fine. Never even needed my wellies for the full duration as I found it dried out pretty quick. There's some higher land and even concrete (bar area) towards the top of the festival site so you've always got a safe retreat anyway.

I don't know why I came in this topic because now I'm sad I'm not going :(

It rained little and often last year but only really noticed any mud on the walk back to the car on the Monday morning where it was pretty dodgy getting the car out. I swapped between hiking boots and shoes.

A few questions from another Green Man first timer here.

Have been going to Glastonbury for nearly 30 years, but have also been to many other festivals at the other end of the scale (Secret Garden Party, EOTR, Deer Shed etc) but wondered about a few logistical things as I'm only guessing at the scale of GM

- How easy is it getting on site on the Thursday? Should I expect to queue? Is it advisable to get there really early?

- How far are the car parks from the camping areas? I've got an Orange car pack pass. Is it easy enough to keep going back to the car each day for supplies if necessary?

- Are there any camping areas that are better than others?

- How easy it is getting away on Monday? Does it involve getting up ridiculously early to avoid queuing, or is it a leisurely departure?

- Perhaps most importantly of all, how much is the price of a pint? ☺️

Any help very much appreciated

On 7/11/2018 at 3:11 PM, oneoutallout said:

How easy is it getting on site on the Thursday? Should I expect to queue? Is it advisable to get there really early?

Nah, not really. Bit of a traffic queue to actually get in, but never had one bigger than about 30 mins, then always just walked through wristbanding with not much queueing.

How far are the car parks from the camping areas? I've got an Orange car pack pass. Is it easy enough to keep going back to the car each day for supplies if necessary?

They're pretty much just two massive feilds next to each other, not much of a walk really unless you get parked right at the end of the feild and camp right at the opposite end of camping. Even then it wouldn't be a huge walk. I usually nip to and from the car most days.

Are there any camping areas that are better than others?

The campsite kind of wraps around the outside of the area so it's all pretty much the same distance away wherever you are. It does tend to get a bit more spacious the further away from the entrance you go though. The feild near the Hurly Burly cafe tends to have loads of empty space.

How easy it is getting away on Monday? Does it involve getting up ridiculously early to avoid queuing, or is it a leisurely departure?

Muddy car park last year made it an absolute nightmare to get away, took me 5 hours just to exit the car park, and then there were traffic queues all through the country lanes near the site. I don't know if that happens every year because before that I always left before 9 and had no trouble whatsoever, so I'll be getting away early again this time.

Perhaps most importantly of all, how much is the price of a pint☺️

I don't recall exactly, but there's loads of different beers served so it will vary. I think it was about £4 for a Wrexham Lager.

• Like 1

Last year I seem to remember most of the ale being about £4.70-£5.20 a pint which, to be honest, was a little more than I was expecting. Fantastic selection though. 

Didn't really drink the lager last year that's in all the bars, but surprised that it was that much cheaper than the real ale!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I think it was about £4 for a Wrexham Lager.

I didn't realise Wrexham Lager got as far as Green Man, I shall be checking that out. Although it's a bit stronger than it used to be (iirc it used to be about 3% or less).

18 minutes ago, adamski said:

I didn't realise Wrexham Lager got as far as Green Man, I shall be checking that out. Although it's a bit stronger than it used to be (iirc it used to be about 3% or less).

I don't think it's on every bar, but they've had it on at least the big pub in the walled garden in recent years.

Apologies if I've asked this before, but please can someone tell me when they usually let volunteers know when their shifts are gonna be? Is it in advance of the festival or when you get there? I was hoping to have them by now so I could book specific trains for less than an open return would cost. Cheers.

4 hours ago, Odessa said:

Apologies if I've asked this before, but please can someone tell me when they usually let volunteers know when their shifts are gonna be? Is it in advance of the festival or when you get there? I was hoping to have them by now so I could book specific trains for less than an open return would cost. Cheers.

just checked last year i got the email on the 4th of August. I think last year they were an organiser down so it was a bit later than usual. 

However it does depend on when you applied, because i think they give early birds first pick of the shifts. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Fearless_Fish said:

Does anyone know when the stage times are released? Or do you have to buy the program? I've noticed the Clashfinder keeps updating but have no idea what that information that's based on!

Took the words right out of my mouth - I was literally going to post this today!

Can't believe it's less than a month away now and I probably feel less prepared than I ever normally do for a festival. That said, also very much in need of the break...

Just now, Zoo Music Girl said:

Took the words right out of my mouth - I was literally going to post this today!

Can't believe it's less than a month away now and I probably feel less prepared than I ever normally do for a festival. That said, also very much in need of the break...

What's "nice" is that there isn't about 8000 stages to try and research like there is at Glastonbury. I'm pretty sure if I try hard I can cram all my revision into about 2 weeks ?

Just now, Fearless_Fish said:

What's "nice" is that there isn't about 8000 stages to try and research like there is at Glastonbury. I'm pretty sure if I try hard I can cram all my revision into about 2 weeks ?

Yes, I definitely agree with this. Scanning that Glastonbury clashfinder, while a joy to do, is also somewhat overwhelming!

Have you been to GM before?

Stage times don't get released. They're printed in the festival guide you pay for on entry, but they don't announce it in advance or online anywhere. 

Usually someone attending the Settler's thing in the days before gets hold of set times and posts them online a few days before the actual festival. So I'd imagine Clashfinder is based on this year's posters and last year's set times. Unless something has changed. 

2 minutes ago, imamazed said:

Stage times don't get released. They're printed in the festival guide you pay for on entry, but they don't announce it in advance or online anywhere. 

Usually someone attending the Settler's thing in the days before gets hold of set times and posts them online a few days before the actual festival. So I'd imagine Clashfinder is based on this year's posters and last year's set times. Unless something has changed. 

Thanks for the info! Shame to not get the stage times ahead of time, but never mind. How much is the guide usually?

3 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yes, I definitely agree with this. Scanning that Glastonbury clashfinder, while a joy to do, is also somewhat overwhelming!

Have you been to GM before?

Never been before - it's my Glasto replacement festival this year. Always looks lovely from what I've seen of it and I'm starting to get excited now. Camping trip this weekend to inspect the tent!

4 minutes ago, imamazed said:

Thanks for that imamazed, really helpful. It's just increased my workload a little though - as usually when I find a band I love I don't bother researching any that clash to save myself time and effort. Looks like that plans gone out the window then!

Why's the clashfinder updating though? Is it based on new info? Or is someone just slow refining it over time..?