Green Man Festival 2018

Chawk

Tentative Plan: 

Friday: Amber Arcades > Eleanor Friedberger > Snail Mail > Beak > Marlon Williams > Susanne Sundfor/Floating Points > King Gizzard > John Talabot

Saturday: Jim Ghedi > Westerman > Tamikrest > Courtney Marie Andrews > Bo Ningen > Kelly Lee Owens > Phoebe Bridgers > Teenage Fanclub/Fleet Foxes > Snapped Ankles 

Sunday: Haley Henderickx > Kevin Morby > Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever/Lucy Dacus > John Maus > The Black Angels > Brian Jonestown Massacre

8 minutes ago, Vacant0 said:

Lineup definitely has quite a bit of depth to it now. Still a shame that its such a weak set of headliners in comparison to previous years.

Is it a weak set of headliners? I think it lacks imagination but comes across stronger than any year in recent memory.

Fleet Foxes headlined Latitude last year and were pretty massive before they went on hiatus, while The War on Drugs are approaching arena headliner status and won a Grammy this year... in a televised category! Even the weakest link, King Gizzard, are on a par with an average Green Man headliner as far as I can see.

It may be a bit dudes-with-guitars oriented but, stature-wise, it kicks lumps out of Future Islands and Wild Beasts and Super Furries headlining in the past few editions.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Is it a weak set of headliners? I think it lacks imagination but comes across stronger than any year in recent memory.

Fleet Foxes headlined Latitude last year and were pretty massive before they went on hiatus, while The War on Drugs are approaching arena headliner status and won a Grammy this year... in a televised category! Even the weakest link, King Gizzard, are on a par with an average Green Man headliner as far as I can see.

It may be a bit dudes-with-guitars oriented but, stature-wise, it kicks lumps out of Future Islands and Wild Beasts and Super Furries headlining in the past few editions.

I really do disagree. They're all just a bit meh for me - and do feel a little bit samey in terms of tempo.

Fleet Foxes are easily the biggest draw, but I was very disappointed when I saw them previously - at Glastonbury quite a few years back - they were just dull, the Pyramid Stage was far too big for them. Maybe they the smaller Mountain Stage will suit their live show much better though I guess - I have heard good things about the new album. As for King Gizzard, they are good live and good for them on getting the slot, but they've played absolutely everywhere and I don't think they're particularly big really - its hard not to feel that they must only be headlining because Green Man couldn't get their first or second choices.

Wild Beasts were the Thursday headliner that year, otherwise I would agree with you on that though.

1 minute ago, Vacant0 said:

I really do disagree. They're all just a bit meh for me - and do feel a little bit samey in terms of tempo.

Fleet Foxes are easily the biggest draw, but I was very disappointed when I saw them previously - at Glastonbury quite a few years back - they were just dull, the Pyramid Stage was far too big for them. Maybe they the smaller Mountain Stage will suit their live show much better though I guess - I have heard good things about the new album. As for King Gizzard, they are good live and good for them on getting the slot, but they've played absolutely everywhere and I don't think they're particularly big really - its hard not to feel that they must only be headlining because Green Man couldn't get their first or second choices.

Wild Beasts were the Thursday headliner that year, otherwise I would agree with you on that though.

Oops my bad. I agree with every point you've made, but it still stands to reason that they are some big bands with wide appeal at the moment so I think they should do pretty well.

What it lacks to my mind is things that are somewhat special and drop in unexpectedly like Lift to Experience or Atomic Bomb or the return of Grandaddy. It's just acts doing the rounds here ain't it? Still, as you say, shows more depth when the three stages are announced and stacked on top of one another.

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Oops my bad. I agree with every point you've made, but it still stands to reason that they are some big bands with wide appeal at the moment so I think they should do pretty well.

What it lacks to my mind is things that are somewhat special and drop in unexpectedly like Lift to Experience or Atomic Bomb or the return of Grandaddy. It's just acts doing the rounds here ain't it? Still, as you say, shows more depth when the three stages are announced and stacked on top of one another.

Aye, that's my thoughts exactly - which is disappointing mostly because Green Man usually do pull a few things out the bag each year.

Reusable cups! It says on the GM website that reusable cups are for sale but if you have one already are you ok to bring/use that? I know at Glastonbury some of the bars are a bit sniffy about you using your own cup! 

On 5/12/2018 at 6:32 PM, ian the worm said:

1) What’s with the name Green Man?

2) Is there group dressing up as a Green Man?

3) Is there a general dressing up day?

Not asking for a friend. ;) 

1)  Dunno but it's a good name.  The festival tries to be green and a giant Green Man goes up in flames at the end.

Image result for green man burning

2) Not that I'm aware of

3) Not that I'm aware of - though isn't every day a dressing up day at a fest?

• 2 weeks later...

Few new names on the latest poster - Nubya Garcia replacing Tamikrest on Mountain Saturday, International Teachers Of Pop (Dean Honer and Adrian Flanagan from Eccentronic Research Council and the Moonlandingz' new project) opening Thursday, The Cosmic Array opening Walled Garden Sunday, and Trudy & The Romance and Phobophobes on Rising.

23 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

What time do the campsites open? Finally went for tickets for this a couple of weeks ago and just trying to work out the best way to get there...

Last year I believe it was around 9am on the Thursday

Just now, imamazed said:

Last year I believe it was around 9am on the Thursday

Ah cool, nice and early then. Looking like coach is actually the best option for me - takes ages but avoids the whole change at Newport and shuttle bus bollocks. Does anyone have experience of train and/or coach? Looks like the coach journey is a bit shorter than Glastonbury from London (at least from the stupid O2 site anyway...)