Green Man Festival 2018

Chawk

34 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

King Gizz do seem a really weak ass headliner. They're the only one I'd watch, but they're never off the road, they seem to play everywhere all of the time, just nowt special about them, I'd have placed them as a Far Out headliner. Really thought we were getting Caribou as well :(

Anybody else think that Simian Mobile Disco and Deep Throat Choir seems a really wrong pairing?

I honestly thought they'd fucked up the line up poster cos when you click on the SMD bit it's just them. They've done an album together though.

https://www.residentadvisor.net/news.aspx?id=41132

Edited by DiscothequeDave

sometimes booking just don't come off I guess, I don't think there's any doubt GM will have tried to make the acts as mixed as possible gender wise. King Gizzard were probably 4th or so down the list of acts they wanted to headline

GM is still nice enough to have a good time whatever, worst case scenario I'll just lie face down in the Walled Garden for the weekend, maybe get up to go pedal on the electric bikes

Really excited about this now!

Must sees for me:

• King Gizzard, Floating points, Phoebe Bridgers, Snail Mail, Mount Kimbie, Kelly Lee Owens, John Maus, Susanne Sondfor and Bo Ningen

Will try and see subject to clashes:

• TWOD (seen before), Fleet Foxes (seen before), Snapped Ankles, Brian Jonestown Massacre, The Black Angels, Tamikrest and Chastity Belt

Need to check out the others!

Just now, PresentlyTense said:

Gonna wait until the next EOTR announcement to make a final decision, but just putting the feelers out. Would anyone be interested in taking two Green Man tickets at Early Bird prices? Will need the money in advance but can guarantee we'll get the tickets to you the second they arrive.

I might potentially be interested - how much are we talking? I'm still deciding between this and Shambala at the moment, so no great urgency for me either. I fancy the EOTR line-up more too but I can't do those dates sadly.

I presume there's no name on ticket/ID situation to navigate? When are tickets normally despatched?

Also for those veterans can you tell me when the rest of the line-up  (ie comedy etc) is likely to be out? And would you say this is a good festival to do regardless of there being a lot to see musically? There are a couple of bands I fancy but I certainly wouldn't be overwhelmed with the music selection currently.

40 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I might potentially be interested - how much are we talking? I'm still deciding between this and Shambala at the moment, so no great urgency for me either. I fancy the EOTR line-up more too but I can't do those dates sadly.

I presume there's no name on ticket/ID situation to navigate? When are tickets normally despatched?

Also for those veterans can you tell me when the rest of the line-up  (ie comedy etc) is likely to be out? And would you say this is a good festival to do regardless of there being a lot to see musically? There are a couple of bands I fancy but I certainly wouldn't be overwhelmed with the music selection currently.

It's a fantastic festival - it's not an easy decision to get rid of the tickets, but there aren't really any bands on the lineup that excite me this year and I need at least a couple. Last year the whole program was amazing, though. If I could afford two festivals, I would definitely still go to Green Man despite the lineup. It's a great place to spend a weekend.

Total price we paid for the 2 tickets was 354. EOTR's next announcement is later this week. Shall I contact you once we've made a decision?

4 minutes ago, PresentlyTense said:

It's a fantastic festival - it's not an easy decision to get rid of the tickets, but there aren't really any bands on the lineup that excite me this year and I need at least a couple. Last year the whole program was amazing, though. If I could afford two festivals, I would definitely still go to Green Man despite the lineup. It's a great place to spend a weekend.

Total price we paid for the 2 tickets was 354. EOTR's next announcement is later this week. Shall I contact you once we've made a decision?

Yeah good plan :) Just DM me.

5 hours ago, betharm said:

Does Green Man usually sell out? I just can't make my mind up this year but I'm not sure how late to leave it. 

Think it was June 2nd last year.  August 8th in 2016.  But with no Glasto this year it will be interesting to see if this speeds up sales.

7 hours ago, betharm said:

Does Green Man usually sell out? I just can't make my mind up this year but I'm not sure how late to leave it. 

I became a Green Man convert after last year.  All the best bits of Glastonbury without the hassle.  Can't recommend it highly enough.

On 07/03/2018 at 3:53 PM, grumpyhack said:

I became a Green Man convert after last year.  All the best bits of Glastonbury without the hassle.  Can't recommend it highly enough.

Have to have a cup of tea with you this year as I’m not doing Wychwood again due to travel plans. My first GM.

Side issue..... I was thinking of introducing my girl to something I think you may have mentioned years ago. Was it you that give certain marks for certain band performance criteria to end up with an overall winner as individuals and as a group?  

If you have no idea what I’m on about, it’s probably wasn’t. In which case could you make one up for me?

Ian 

Looking forward to a meet up at Green Man Ian.  I'll be in my big caravan and we'll also have a couple of VW Campers with the full Glastonbury Gang.

The scoring thing is simple.  The question is: "For what they do, how well did they do it?" with a maximum score of 10.

That means that a young girl solo folkie might score a 9 while a big name stadium rock band might only get a 7.

The question is key because it doesn't necessarily ask who did you enjoy most, or who was the biggest crowd pleaser?

You need to start with a relatively low bench mark because if you score the first act you see as a 9 then by the end others may be deserving a 12 or 13 out of 10.

Edited by grumpyhack

On 09/03/2018 at 5:53 PM, grumpyhack said:

Looking forward to a meet up at Green Man Ian.  I'll be in my big caravan and we'll also have a couple of VW Campers with the full Glastonbury Gang.

The scoring thing is simple.  The question is: "For what they do, how well did they do it?" with a maximum score of 10.

That means that a young girl solo folkie might score a 9 while a big name stadium rock band might only get a 7.

The question is key because it doesn't necessarily ask who did you enjoy most, or who was the biggest crowd pleaser?

You need to start with a relatively low bench mark because if you score the first act you see as a 9 then by the end others may be deserving a 12 or 13 out of 10.

Ah that’s so easy thanks. Maybe someone else had a more unnecessarily complex version sometime. 

Ian 

On 12/03/2018 at 12:44 PM, 1986 said:

Poster question, is the John Grant/Grizzly Bear/Dirty Projectors slot a sub slot or a second stage headliner?

They've said that there is one second stage headliner to come, so they're certainly not all Friday-Sunday second stage headliners. If I was gonna punt on one outcome or the other, they'd all be subbing.

Do you guys think they'd have said about Thursday's headliner by now? I'm thinking that it might be Grizzly Bear because they have a French festival on Friday, and Lowlands on either Saturday or Sunday, and then possibly Pukkelpop on either Saturday or Thursday as well. Green Man Twitters seems to be avoiding answering about Thursday which might mean they don't wanna divulge that Thursday headliner is already there, but I don't get why they wouldn't confirm it. :dontknow:

Edited by dentalplan

14 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

They've said that there is one second stage headliner to come, so they're certainly not all Friday-Sunday second stage headliners. If I was gonna punt on one outcome or the other, they'd all be subbing.

Do you guys think they'd have said about Thursday's headliner by now? I'm thinking that it might be Grizzly Bear because they have a French festival on Friday, and Lowlands on either Saturday or Sunday, and then possibly Pukkelpop on either Saturday or Thursday as well. Green Man Twitters seems to be avoiding answering about Thursday which might mean they don't wanna divulge that Thursday headliner is already there, but I don't get why they wouldn't confirm it. :dontknow:

I remember seeing in the Facebook comments that PSB are headlining the Thursday

Just now, Chawk said:

they're definitely not playing Sunday anyway, imagine being Grizzly Bear and grafting out sad beautiful songs for all these years and then subbing King Gizzard who need a bath after pumping out 20 albums a year

KG are headlining Friday night.

5 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

BJM struck me as Thursday headliner material when they were announced, but thats based on nothing other than them being a similar booking to Ride 

Says they're Sat/Sun on their site.

4 minutes ago, lessthanwill1 said:

I remember seeing in the Facebook comments that PSB are headlining the Thursday

Ah thanks. Shoulda thought about checking there. D'oh.