Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Rico_Pliskin

Electric Picnic 2018

Recommended Posts

So it's a long long way off I know. 

But here's the early possible wishlist

Headliners
QOTSA (as its a live nation event around leeds/reading time)

Yeah Yeah Yeahs

David Byrne (if rumours of lolla brazil speak true)

Sub- Headliners

M83

St Vincent

Doves


Caribou
Little Dragon
Christine and the queens
Deerhunter
Benjamin Booker
Gordi



Out there guess : Kanye/Kid Cudi double show ala watch the throne tour. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like some of these suggestions, I will add for electronica acts anyway, Aphex Twin, Jon Hopkins, Four Tet, The Prodigy.  Rock: The Horslips, Stone Roses, Jesus & the Mary Chain, Slowdive, Little Dragon (although they would fit in the electronica section too).

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've no idea about next year! I'm guessing Depeche Mode for the big heritage act if they're still touring the new album. 

Could see Franz Ferdinand, QOTSA, Jesus and Mary Chain, Sparks, The National, The The, Arcade Fire, Black Grape, James, Beth Ditto, Sugarhill Gang, Jess Glynne, Blondie

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having seen Depeche Mode at Nos Alive I would love to see them again as they are something else. 

That said if they were to play they would have been on tour for maybe a year and a half. I don't see it happening but would welcome it. 

As for the legacy headliner, i'm putting money on David Byrne, Morrissey or Gary Numan (though i don't know if Numan would headline) Morrissey is odds on favourite. 

I'd love Qotsa / Yeah Yeah Yeahs  / Morrissey headlining separate days

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depeche Mode headlining 4 festivals in France in July next year, suggests they're doing a full European festival tour! I'd say the omens for an appearance at EP have suddenly got a whole lot better

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Shanndy said:

Depeche Mode headlining 4 festivals in France in July next year, suggests they're doing a full European festival tour! I'd say the omens for an appearance at EP have suddenly got a whole lot better

I agree, generally you'd see some acts that have 3arena shows show up for electric picnic. Guess who's playing this month? The Killers, QOTSA and Depeche Mode. 3arena is a Live Nation owned arena. 

One can hope. If Sziget fest announces them then it's a sure thing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depeche Mode tour ends in July, final date is 25th July according to their website so I guess that’s them out!

Pixies strong rumour for Reading and Leeds the weekend before so I could see them playing, I’d say QOTSA are a good shout, Chic doing the rounds again and they’ve done it twice before. TBH I’m struggling to think who could play....hopefully David Byrne if he’s still around in Europe at the time, maybe Tears For Fears for the ‘retro but still relevant(ish)’ slot?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Shanndy said:

Depeche Mode tour ends in July, final date is 25th July according to their website so I guess that’s them out!

Pixies strong rumour for Reading and Leeds the weekend before so I could see them playing, I’d say QOTSA are a good shout, Chic doing the rounds again and they’ve done it twice before. TBH I’m struggling to think who could play....hopefully David Byrne if he’s still around in Europe at the time, maybe Tears For Fears for the ‘retro but still relevant(ish)’ slot?

The David Byrne/St Vincent set from 2013 looked incredible, wish I went that year

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/david-byrne-and-st-vincent/2013/stradbally-hall-stradbally-ireland-7bc66614.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/12/2017 at 3:46 PM, scruffytentdweller said:

DOVES? what you basing that on? one can only hope but they havent been going since 2010!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So who are we thinking for headliners at the moment?

Can we possibly see Jack White come back after his American run after the June/july european festival season? (rock headliner)

David Byrne after his american leg of the tour?  (classic sunday slot) or depeche mode

Florence? (pop headliner)

 

and what about the undercard

royal blood, qotsa , fever ray (electric arena headliners)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think if QOTSA play they will headline the main stage, I'd say they are a strong possibility. Would love to see Depeche Mode. Kendrick Lamar possibly if he is playing festivals towards the end of the summer? Although there is not a chance we will get three headliners who are as popular as the three of those acts mentioned, one of that size maximum and then probably two smaller.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Kasabian are probably the most likely at the moment, they're playing a rescheduled Belfast show the week before so would make sense for them to do this as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, addicted2noise said:

I think Kasabian are probably the most likely at the moment, they're playing a rescheduled Belfast show the week before so would make sense for them to do this as well. 

Possibly them for electric arena? Or main stage material? Like Interpol headed electric arena and also Father John.

would they be more popular than Interpol? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Rico_Pliskin said:

Possibly them for electric arena? Or main stage material? Like Interpol headed electric arena and also Father John.

would they be more popular than Interpol? 

They'd have to headline the main stage, too popular not to. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So both Festival No 6 in Wales and Electric Fields in Scotland, both around the same time as EP, have announced their initial lineups today and it's likely we could get a few  of those acts turning up in Stradbally.

Personally out of those lineups i'd love to see Leftfield, James, Idlewild, Teenage Fanclub, The Coral, Baxter Dury, Franz Ferdinand, Friendly Fires, Anna Calvi, Gaz Coombes, The Horrors and Viv Albertine

Reading & Leeds also announced although there's not much I'd like to see out of that lineup

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/13/2018 at 8:09 PM, Shanndy said:

So both Festival No 6 in Wales and Electric Fields in Scotland, both around the same time as EP, have announced their initial lineups today and it's likely we could get a few  of those acts turning up in Stradbally.

Personally out of those lineups i'd love to see Leftfield, James, Idlewild, Teenage Fanclub, The Coral, Baxter Dury, Franz Ferdinand, Friendly Fires, Anna Calvi, Gaz Coombes, The Horrors and Viv Albertine

Reading & Leeds also announced although there's not much I'd like to see out of that lineup

 

 

Yes, I'd hope that most of the artists mentioned here are also at EP. Plus Ibibio Sound Machine, Hollie Cook, Amber Arcades, Jessie Ware and Django Django.

The End of the Road festival is also held the same weekend and in previous years many of the acts have also been at Stradbally. They've made their first announcement and there's lots there I'd like to see on the EP bill too - St Vincent, Feist, Vampire Weekend, Gruff Rhys, Yo La Tengo, John Cale, Julia Holter, This Is The Kit, The Oh Sees and Hookworms.

I noticed that Van Morrison, The Waterboys and Hothouse Flowers are playing a show in England on Friday 31st and wondered if they may be booked for the Sunday. Not particularly my cup of tea but a possibility, perhaps.

Not optimistic that Depeche Mode will appear but for a headliner, EP must surely book Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds as they're headlining a lot of other festivals this summer. Looking at who else is touring, my wish list would include First Aid Kit, Goldfrapp, David Byrne, LCD Soundsystem, Wolf Alice, Lykke Li, Courtney Barnett, Chvrches, Thundercat, Sparks, Charlotte Gainsbourg, Mogwai, Wolf Alice, Little Dragon, Tuneyards, Susanne Sundfor, Orbital and The Flaming Lips.

I'm not particularly optimistic though. The line-ups for the past two Picnics have been disappointing and they've notably failed to book some great artists who were playing the festival circuit - the likes of PJ Harvey, for example.

We'll see what happens. Perhaps we'll get an announcement next week. Perhaps, like last year, we'll have to wait until the end of March.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, with the initial lineup announced next week, what's everyone's final prediction?

I'll go ; Arctic Monkeys , Kendrick Lamar , The Prodigy (Headliners), also Bastille, Hozier, Van Morrison, James, Franz Ferdinand, Dua Lipa, Jesus & Mary Chain, Idlewild, Gomez, Pet Shop Boys, Blossoms, Stormzy, Vampire Weekend, First Aid Kit, Teenage Fanclub, Friendly Fires, Gaz Coombes, Billy Bragg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I reckon something like Arctic Monkeys, Kasabian, Kendrick Lamar, St Vincent, Franz Ferdinand, Vampire Weekend, Thee Oh Sees, The Coral, Julien Baker, Ezra Furman, Big Thief, Soccer Mommy. 

 

Although out of those three headliners I think the Arctic Monkeys are probably the least likely to play , could see Vampire Weekend or Snow Patrol taking their place.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will probably be way off but would think at least a few of these will appear:

Arctic Monkeys, Kendrick Lamar, Vampire Weekend, Tame Impala, St. Vincent, King Gizzard & Lizard Wizard, Friendly Fires,  Hozier, Nick Murphy, Sigrid, Curtis Harding, Gaz Coombes, Kevin Morby.

Very few names there I would actually be interested in seeing, let's hope they pull a surprise out of the bag.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×