• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, John the Moth said:

428! (I’m 11 hours ahead of Pilton)

I set timer to 8am on Wednesday June 26 2019

8A93297D-02BE-4AFD-B530-20325B7D7AA6.png

Well it's almost 428 so if we stick with that we can get to number one.. Cool.. 

On 23/04/2018 at 7:15 PM, whisty said:

road-sign-directing-traffic-to-the-glast

On 23/04/2018 at 8:55 PM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Nice one whisty. That first yellow and black 'Glastonbury' road sign really does make one's heart miss a beat. You just know that you are about to wander within (and wonder about) 'Good Time City'!  :)

That sign reminds me of 2009 - our WBC Coach was coming up from the A303 from London and at a large roundabout I was standing beside the driver and said to him ' just follow the traffic all passing the Glasto sign '

so what does the driver do ? he turned down the wrong bloody Road !!! { the turning before the sign } where there was no cars in front - that road was tiny and I knew we were going to have problems on a 50 seater coach  + I knew that road did not go to Pilton - I said to him that he would be best if he could reverse and a few of us would get out to stop the traffic.

No he was the driver and I quote ' there must be a side road so I can make the turn then.'

was he right ? - No he was wrong - the poor people living down that unclassified road must have thought they were dreaming as time and time again - we had to knock on doors and asked people if they could move their cars - they would say things like ' what do you mean a Coach ? - you cant get a Coach down this road ' and I would point at the Coach and they could not believe it ' and I could not believe it either - the coach driver had to swing in his mirrors as at times they were in danger of knocking a thatched roof down.

what a journey - we could not find any road that was wide enough to turn round.

The funny thing was that most on that Coach had never worked at Glastonbury before so they thought we were going the right way .

I had visions of the Coach being stuck and us having to shift the camping gear on foot back to that roundabout.

But we made it at the end ' Except we were now West of Glastonbury Town ' and we got caught up in the traffic coming from the M5 and that was the night there was a huge traffic jam 

we should have arrived at 16.00 we arrived at 02.30 and we had big hassle getting in until I showed my WBC Glasto pass from 2008 !!! - I kid you not 

just to make it worse ' the WBC was using a new crew site that year ' and I only had a rough idea where it was and in the pitch darkness that was a hairy drive  going up the Production Road but then Our Luck changed - I spotted a few friends trying to cross the road so jumped out and they showed me the ' Bird House ' - that big green building behind the coach - { that shot was taken on the Monday and amazingly it was the same coach and same driver.}

But WBC Security would not let us in - but by good fortune a Security Supervisor came up and he knew me so I got in but no one else could get in - I told them to sit down and I will pull in a few favours - went straight to the WBC Mess tent and spotted head of staffing - they were not Pleased to see me when I asked them to issue WBC Passes to everyone on the coach.

Without that pass they would not be able to get a drink and trust me after the journey we had we all needed a drink.

Now while the driver did make the initial mistake - he did well getting us there as he should have been back in London and in bed many hours before that - I was able to get him a spot so that he could kip down and leave in the morning. 

Never did find out what the problem was that night - when we were in Glastonbury Town some people got off - went to the Pub and some even had a bloody meal and when they returned the Coach had only moved 70 feet !!!! local Towns people were letting in drivers to use their toilet.

After that experience that sign reminds me of 2009 - Due to the recent security changes { with regards crew Coaches } I wont be going to Glastonbury on a Coach anymore as I would never be able to make the walk so next year { subject to me not dropping down dead } I have already wangle a place for My Team and myself but a few of us will be driving as its a lot shorter walk from the crew car park to the crew site and we plan to get there on Sunday 23rd of June - there is a tree next to our Crew site and I like to camp under it as it gives great shade in the afternoon - I tend to start work dead  early {6am} apart from Tuesday and Sunday night as that is the two very busy nights so I enjoy a afternoon kip listening to my DAB Radio ' in the shade 'By the way 2009 was the last year that WBC Crew Coaches would arrive after the site was open to the Public - they now arrive on the Tuesday

glasto-53-1000.thumb.jpg.ff56831350c99b603f5e0e4d16a653e1.jpg

Edited by glasto-worker
Make it tidy
  • Upvote 2

Imho the number on these is a bit cheaty, is that a word? Seems you can make words up these days and they get in the Oxford D easy enough. Anyway..................

people-arriving-at-the-glastonbury-festi

In case of pedants (yes I'm one), here's one that's not cheaty  :)

?format=750w