T minus & counting 2019

OG

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Who put the 2 in to 2222?

Hello whisty. You'll probably not believe me, but I could have put your name in an envelope a few weeks ago as the person who would put the 2 in to 2222. Not sure why, but thanks anyway. I say thanks, only because I 'needed' to get it out of the way. Over and done with, kind of thing. It's most probably an OCD thing. Anyway, I'm glad that's sorted. Couldn't have come at a better time. I can't go in to the reasons why right now, but let's say that you've helped me at a pivotal moment in time. :)

Glad to be of any assistance Mr Yoghurt & hope you're well Sir. I know I'm a bit dim but give me a clue about the 2222 and a 2 in, I'm a bit lost with that cryptic message :)

a49547bf33cbbcafdac13d44341c_w680_h453_g

Edited by whisty

1 hour ago, whisty said:

Glad to be of any assistance Mr Yoghurt & hope you're well Sir. I know I'm a bit dim but give me a clue about the 2222 and a 2 in, I'm a bit lost with that cryptic message :)

a49547bf33cbbcafdac13d44341c_w680_h453_g

Hello whisty,

It sounds a little vain, but you gave me an up vote, which meant that I had 2222 up votes. I just like the neatness of it.   :)

1 hour ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello whisty,

It sounds a little vain, but you gave me an up vote, which meant that I had 2222 up votes. I just like the neatness of it.   :)

Ahh, the light of day dawns :) But now you can't have any more upvotes or 2222 will spoil.

Edit, oops I see it's already gone, maybe a downvote is in order :wink:

Edited by whisty

1 hour ago, vintagelaureate said:

1975_60201.jpg

That's a fab post. I can't begin to tell you how pleasing it is. I can't actually pin point why though. I have ruled out any homo eroticism, and think it might be aligned to my perception that it's an old 1950's type advertisement. However, they are so good that they could be back in again, rendering my 1950's type enjoyment void. What is it about the 1950's that gives one a warm guey feeling? Maybe because people were happy as fuck that they weren't at war.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, whisty said:

9d6c6d7b8a6bf6ab3071feca2c988ecc--old-tr

Up voted because it's a thing of great beauty. Not sure if you cut the bottom off your photo, but another photo of it that I have seen informs us that the photo was taken in Wembley, and that it's lorry, which is mounted on a two ton Commer chasis. 

Here's a model of it (I think);

Image result for streamlined van + 602

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, OG said:

Picture1.png

Nice box of pencils. I found an old box of pencils about 2 weeks ago in a garage that I was cleaning out. I've just remembered where I've left them too -  out in the garden somewhere. I think that this may be a wrong thing to do, as I've just looked up old pencils and their boxes and they can fetch a few quid. Right, I'm off to the garden with a torch.

vinAmpex601-2Align.jpg

2 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Nice box of pencils. I found an old box of pencils about 2 weeks ago in a garage that I was cleaning out. I've just remembered where I've left them too -  out in the garden somewhere. I think that this may be a wrong thing to do, as I've just looked up old pencils and their boxes and they can fetch a few quid. Right, I'm off to the garden with a torch.

And they say you can't see the wood from the tress...

18 minutes ago, vintagelaureate said:

vinAmpex601-2Align.jpg

Ah, the Ampex 601. I wonder where that's going to lead me in a bit, when I look it up?

I have found and looked up the box of pencils that I was on about. Although there are un-sharpened pencils in the box, I think only one of them might be the 'real deal'. Anyway, the box looks like this one, only a fair bit more weather damaged now,  owing me to leaving it get directly rained on;

Related image

And here's a link which explains a little bit of controversial history to the Cumberland Pencils company that produced these outrageously inferior pencils;

http://www.thepalimpsest.co.uk/2010/01/cumberland-pencils-kings-own-before.html

28 minutes ago, vintagelaureate said:

vinAmpex601-2Align.jpg

Right then, get a bit of this;

The Ampex 601 was a portable, analogreel-to-reel tape recorder produced by The Ampex Corporation from the mid-1950s through the 1960s. Ampex manufactured a single-channel model (the 601) and dual-channel version (the 601-2). The suitcase-sized, 26 lb. unit was designed for the professional recording applications. It recorded to ¼-inch tape on 5-inch or 7-inch reels.

The Ampex 601 was preceded by the Ampex 600. Although there was no officially-released Ampex 600-2, there were factory bulletins available which detailed how to change the second electronics to support the equivalent of 600-2 mode, and this made use of the 601-2's head stack possible, thereby creating the functional equivalent of a 600-2.

Ampex 601 playing a recording of "Les Paul's New Sound". Made in Redwood City, California. Circa 1956.

Ampex 601 playing a recording of "Les Paul's New Sound". Made in Redwood City, California. Circa 1956.

The Ampex 601 was succeeded by the Ampex 602, which was available as 602 and 602-2 models. The Ampex 600 and 601 were housed in light brown Samsonite cases. Optionally, the machine could be 19" rack-mounted, using an adapter plate. The Ampex 602 was housed in a dark brown Samsonite case with similar rack-mounting provisions. Companion speaker-amplifiers were also available, and were housed in the same style cases. Models 620, 621 and 622.

Sweet Jesus, please don't make me do it. Don't make me look up and read about The Ampex Corporation details now - I have just had a smoke, can't think straight, and just want to sit here, gurgle and dribble down my front, so that I look my best for my wife when I go upstairs and see her shortly.

And then this happened;

It's going to be a funny one tonight. I can see it.

45 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Right then, get a bit of this;

The Ampex 601 was a portable, analogreel-to-reel tape recorder produced by The Ampex Corporation from the mid-1950s through the 1960s. Ampex manufactured a single-channel model (the 601) and dual-channel version (the 601-2). The suitcase-sized, 26 lb. unit was designed for the professional recording applications. It recorded to ¼-inch tape on 5-inch or 7-inch reels.

The Ampex 601 was preceded by the Ampex 600. Although there was no officially-released Ampex 600-2, there were factory bulletins available which detailed how to change the second electronics to support the equivalent of 600-2 mode, and this made use of the 601-2's head stack possible, thereby creating the functional equivalent of a 600-2.

The Ampex 601 was succeeded by the Ampex 602, which was available as 602 and 602-2 models. The Ampex 600 and 601 were housed in light brown Samsonite cases. Optionally, the machine could be 19" rack-mounted, using an adapter plate. The Ampex 602 was housed in a dark brown Samsonite case with similar rack-mounting provisions. Companion speaker-amplifiers were also available, and were housed in the same style cases. Models 620, 621 and 622.

Sweet Jesus, please don't make me do it. Don't make me look up and read about The Ampex Corporation details now - I have just had a smoke, can't think straight, and just want to sit here, gurgle and dribble down my front, so that I look my best for my wife when I go upstairs and see her shortly.

And then this happened;

It's going to be a funny one tonight. I can see it.

All cartoons in Dutch are better than in English. Watch the first 20 seconds of this and then tell me I'm wrong :D

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, OG said:

All cartoons in Dutch are better than in English. Watch the first 20 seconds of this and then tell me I'm wrong :D

You are right. You are so right. That's fab / mental. I haven't watched the whole thing, but have made a copy and will do so in the near future.

Talking of other languages, here's a beauty;

I think that we should put The Clangers in charge of running this world. 

2 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Nice one. I gather that the tickets sold out in 5 minutes. A lot of Glastonbury overspill, I'd say.

They’re sold in tiers, think the first 2 tiers sold out in a matter of minutes, there’s still tier 3 tickets available which is the one I got for £223. Quite a lot of money but I’ve wanted to go for years and have never got round to it.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

it wasn't all tickets, just the cheaper ones (plus, i guess, some of the full-price). There was 12000 of the cheaper ones, someone said.

Oh right - thanks for the clarification. I've only heard good things about the place, and if memory serves me right, a fair bit of that has come from yourself. Am I right in thinking that you said it was a bit like Glastonbury used to be? 

3 minutes ago, Jackmypie said:

They’re sold in tiers, think the first 2 tiers sold out in a matter of minutes, there’s still tier 3 tickets available which is the one I got for £223. Quite a lot of money but I’ve wanted to go for years and have never got round to it.

Yeah, that's a fair bit of money when you add on your travel, drink and medications that you cannot be without to add on to as well. I'd love to go for it myself to be honest, but I can't commit at this stage. In any case, I'm erring towards smaller festivals nowadays. It's just at the back of my mind there is this question as to whether I'v got one larger festival still left in me.

Just now, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Oh right - thanks for the clarification. I've only heard good things about the place, and if memory serves me right, a fair bit of that has come from yourself. Am I right in thinking that you said it was a bit like Glastonbury used to be? 

Yeah, with a chaotic/edgy element (without anything scarey). For that side of things it's more like Glastonbury was than Glastonbury is.

The whole thing is like a *much* bigger version of Glasto's naughty corner (with added free-party ravey stuff), but where there's meaningful life for 18 hours a day instead of just 6 at Glasto.

It's the perfect place for a full-on party weekend, and quite a spectacle so just about anyone could enjoy once even if the music isn't too much of their thing.