T minus & counting 2019

OG

21 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Isn't that 663? Are we going backwards in time? If that's the case only 102 days to go (Glastonbury 2017)

It does indeed look like 663 to me too. However the blurb that goes with the photo says that it's registration number is KOC 633, and also that it's Foden with Crellin Duplex-styled body (for anybody interested in that sort of thing). Maybe the person writing the blurb made an input error or suffered from dyscalculia. Here's another 633, to be on the safe side;

Image result for 633

This is a 633 Linde key suitable for Linde type reach trucks, and can be bought for the princely sum of £1.40 from Keyking Supplies Ltd. 

• Like 1

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't got a clue what I have done here / not sure this will work. Anyway, if it does,  it refers to cellulose paint, which is currently fetching £44.50 for 2.5 litres on ebay. My advice - find out if Homebase does it, and ask one of the staff if they'll nick it for you for a tenner. I used to know a bloke who worked for a national home improvement chain as a high flying salesman. He was shifting the stuff alright, but not to the benefit of the company. Then again, I was once given the job of 'managing' 26 blokes on a building maintenance team. The first thing I did was to tell them that they were all naughty boys. The second management tool that I used was to let it be known that they could carry on robbing the company. And then I let it be known what my terms and conditions were. They were to let the system run as it was, absolutely no drop in productivity, if not a little improvement, and they wouldn't see that much of me for management guidance, as I would be in my bed at home sleeping the night before off. Wow, that bender lasted years!

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Just to explain to the T Minusers (having been one for many seasons), I'm not taking part this time because I've finished with Glastonbury having discovered all that the Big G can offer in a variety of smaller and medium sized fests this season.

1 hour ago, grumpyhack said:

Just to explain to the T Minusers (having been one for many seasons), I'm not taking part this time because I've finished with Glastonbury having discovered all that the Big G can offer in a variety of smaller and medium sized fests this season.

You’ll be back :lol:

4 hours ago, oneeye said:

You’ll be back :lol:

I really don't think so Oneeye.  This year I discovered the Green Man Festival and asked myself how come I'd missed it for so long when it's virtually on my doorstep.  All the best bits of Glastonbury without the hassle.  On top of that I've got Wychwood plus the delightful Something Else in the Dean and will probably explore a couple of other new to me fests next year.

What both Green Man, as a relatively big fest (20,000+) and SEITD (tiny less than 500) have proved to me is that I now principally enjoy camping (well actually caravanning) with a bit of music attached.  It's the chilling and the social side and you can get that with a lot less hassle at plenty of other festivals 

21 minutes ago, grumpyhack said:

I really don't think so Oneeye.  This year I discovered the Green Man Festival and asked myself how come I'd missed it for so long when it's virtually on my doorstep.  All the best bits of Glastonbury without the hassle.  On top of that I've got Wychwood plus the delightful Something Else in the Dean and will probably explore a couple of other new to me fests next year.

What both Green Man, as a relatively big fest (20,000+) and SEITD (tiny less than 500) have proved to me is that I now principally enjoy camping (well actually caravanning) with a bit of music attached.  It's the chilling and the social side and you can get that with a lot less hassle at plenty of other festivals 

Off topic but I'm desperate to start caravanning. It's storage that's the issue for me. 

6 hours ago, grumpyhack said:

Old son..!!!!!!!!!?????? 

IBBTtF.jpg

15 hours ago, vintagelaureate said:

Off topic but I'm desperate to start caravanning. It's storage that's the issue for me. 

Caravanning..... I was always Housing Manager for our festival gang (another one of the gang was Catering Manager and one was Jeeves - who looked after our drink needs).  I started with a big tent, graduated to a trailer tent and then moved into caravans.  I'm now on my third.

First of all join either the Caravan Club or the Camping and Caravan Club as they have registered sites that are cheap and really good and also through them you can get cheap caravan insurance.  Also join the RAC who have a scheme called Relay that will help with broken down caravans/tow vehicles.  The AA don't want to know.

Then look for a registered storage site - again either the Caravan Club or Camping and Caravan Club will have a list of registered sites.  I store my caravan at Magor near the Severn Bridge.  It costs me £250 a year but that gives me secure storage and also a reduced rate on my caravan insurance because it's a registered secure site.

The storage site is about a 25 minute drive from my house so it's easy to pop down and, more importantly, it's located en-route to most of the festivals I go to.

When I had a trailer tent, which was a great festival rig, I was able to store it in mother in law's garage.  My first caravan I was able to store on the hardstanding outside my house but as I got into bigger caravans that became impossible as I live at the top of a narrow 1 in 4 windy country lane and there wasn't anywhere to turn it round.

So that meant finding secure storage.

As with camping you acquire loads of equipment, from tables and chairs to pots and pans.  The great thing is that you can store them all in your caravan.  I also store my sleeping bag, pillows, blankets etc.  I've also got a full length awning that doubles the size of the caravan and provides a decent social and eating area.

The one thing you have to watch out for with caravans is damp.  Damp is the caravan killer so make sure that any van you buy is thoroughly damp checked.  I get an annual service, which costs about £180 which includes a gas check and a damp check.  It might seem a lot but it's worth protecting your investment.

The last thing to remember is the ratio of the weight of your towcar to the weight of the caravan.  A heavy van requires a heavy towcar.  Don't buy a caravan that your car can't tow.  My current caravan is a big twin axle Dethleffs that's very heavy but, luckily I've got a heavy, solid Audi A6 Allroad, which is 4 wheel drive.  Before I had a front wheel drive Honda which wasn't up to towing bigger vans.  You hitch up the caravan which puts weight on the back and tends to 'lift' the front wheels of the car.  Then, if your car is front wheel drive you don't get such good traction.

So far my Audi has pulled my heavy van in and out of the muddiest of festival fields with no problem.

So buying a caravan isn't just about storage.

All that said, caravanning is a huge pleasure in itself and festivals have become for me caravanning with a bit of music attached.  If |I can't take the caravan I won't consider the festival.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, grumpyhack said:

***snip***

Cheers, for alot of the details you've provided I have only been looking for small 2/3 lightweight caravans with awnings. I think they've all weighed in around 925kg laden. I actually bought a 4 wheel drive car last year and then two days later someone decided to wipe me out at a junction and it was written off. I'm currently only driving a 2 litre Mondeo but that has enough about it to pull a lightweight. Hoping to get a Tuscon or similar next year. I have two BIG tents and spent my summers when I was a teen touring in a trailer tent. 

I want a 'starter' van essentially but for what I want (and budget) it's more difficult than I imagined. I found a brilliant little Mayfly last year, clean and tidy, only ever one owner... but I couldn't find anywhere to store and the only available seasonal pitches refused it based on age. 

Thanks for pointing me in some direction though @grumpyhack, your advice is much appreciated 

1 hour ago, grumpyhack said:

The best known lightweight caravans are made by Lunar.  Worth looking for.  If you can get a decent one it's worth it.

Cheers - when buying second hand lookout for damp, rust etc.? Check what works? Any other key issues? I've hijacked this thread somewhat - apologies.

On 10/2/2017 at 4:26 PM, grumpyhack said:

Hello grumpy,

I have finished with Glastonbury too, for pretty much the same reasons as you. I never went to Glastonbury for the music. It was always to have the chance to 'live' with my mates for a few days that was foremost on my mind. That external entertainment was on offer too, was just a bonus. I've been to 20+ Glastonbury's now, so have had a fair innings. Time to move on, and let my place be filled by someone who 'wants' it more than I now do.

That said, I think I'll still be popping in on this thread every now and again, because I like the, almost silent camaraderie. 

Not too sure what next year holds for me festival wise. I've just moved from Birmingham to a quaint little town, which has it's fair share of all year round tourists. As I may need to tap in to the tourist market for a source of income, then summer weekends away might be a no no. That said, I'd love to go to the Green Man festival, as it's one that I have always had my eye on. In addition, I had to miss the Landed Festival this year, and do not want to do so again next year.