Best Kept Secret Festival 2018

mellowmaniac

Four Tet most probably will be on stage two right after The National (00:00-01:00).

Saturday is usually the day with most acts, because it starts earlier and has program till about 04:00h. I'd say there will be about 10 additional acts on Saturday, plus the stage four DJ program. I don't expect more than one medium sized act to be announced on Saturday. Fever Ray is at Down The Rabbit Hole and most probably won't play BKS as well. If Ezra Furman is very realistic, because he's around and booked by the BKS promoter.

32 minutes ago, pikeatheplace said:

How is BKS for booking acts from previous years? I've seen Jamie xx in a few lineups in the area around the same time as BKS; it would be awesome to see him again.

Last year they had more returning acts than you would usually expect, especially for a festival that young. Apart from the headliners from last three editions I really couldn't rule anyone out based on how long it is from their last appearance.

I'm about to pull the trigger on this one, but I have some questions. First, how is the camping? I'd be arriving late on Friday, at about 5 PM (well 4 PM if I'm optimistic), would I be able to find a decent space for a tent? Second, as I understand there's no issue of getting there from Tilburg? There are frequent shuttles? Thanks.

44 minutes ago, ShutUpDonny said:

I'm about to pull the trigger on this one, but I have some questions. First, how is the camping? I'd be arriving late on Friday, at about 5 PM (well 4 PM if I'm optimistic), would I be able to find a decent space for a tent? Second, as I understand there's no issue of getting there from Tilburg? There are frequent shuttles? Thanks.

I would have thought the majority of people camping would be there by then but it’s not particularly big so if you just have one tent I don’t see it being an issue. 

Getting there from Tilburg is super easy though, bus goes front in front of the station and I assume is frequent as we never had to q for more than 10/15 mins both years I’ve been.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, arteet said:

I would have thought the majority of people camping would be there by then but it’s not particularly big so if you just have one tent I don’t see it being an issue. 

Getting there from Tilburg is super easy though, bus goes front in front of the station and I assume is frequent as we never had to q for more than 10/15 mins both years I’ve been.

That's good to hear, thanks!
There's plenty for me to like in the lineup, but hopefully there's still exciting additions to come, especially on Saturday. 

12 hours ago, timeforheroes said:

Does anyone have any experience of a Kartent?

Me and my friend took it mostly because we flew in and couldn't fit a decent tent in our hand luggage. The big plus is that it's the first tent I've been in that lets you sleep past 8am if it's hot. We took the airbed option too, which was comfy. The drawback is that it's quite small - you can live with it, but for two people to be really comfortable you'd need a four person tent. It's wide enough to sleep but a struggle to get in and do anything with your suitcase/change. Check in was fast and witout complication, although the kartent area was tricky to find and about 5 different volounteers didn't seem to know anything to point us in the right direction. The area also appeared to be pretty much as far from the festival site as possible - a bit annoying 15-20 minute walk to the site, but we had good bathroom facilities and a market nearby (selling 0,33 beer cans for 1€ too).

If you're flying in it's well worth the money I'd say. If you can bring your own tent just do that instead, arrive early and set it up in the camp right by the festival site -  there's trees everywhere so you should be able to find shade too.

2 hours ago, clasher said:

Me and my friend took it mostly because we flew in and couldn't fit a decent tent in our hand luggage. The big plus is that it's the first tent I've been in that lets you sleep past 8am if it's hot. We took the airbed option too, which was comfy. The drawback is that it's quite small - you can live with it, but for two people to be really comfortable you'd need a four person tent. It's wide enough to sleep but a struggle to get in and do anything with your suitcase/change. Check in was fast and witout complication, although the kartent area was tricky to find and about 5 different volounteers didn't seem to know anything to point us in the right direction. The area also appeared to be pretty much as far from the festival site as possible - a bit annoying 15-20 minute walk to the site, but we had good bathroom facilities and a market nearby (selling 0,33 beer cans for 1€ too).

If you're flying in it's well worth the money I'd say. If you can bring your own tent just do that instead, arrive early and set it up in the camp right by the festival site -  there's trees everywhere so you should be able to find shade too.

That's an outstandingly thorough reply, thank you.

We kind of panic bought one knowing our 5 man tent was impossible to bring. Size wise that's what we expected to be honest. How tall are they? The images look waist height?

How do you think it would fare in the rain? Claims waterproof on the website.

Comfortable with that walk. Prob not ideal but nor exactly Glasto either. 

What else did the market sell?

Thanks again and in advance!

Saw this on Reddit, but no response. Anyone has some insights?

---------

Festival passes: purchased Lodging: purchased Travel: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

American here. I'm traveling with my partner to BKS for the first time. Any BKS veterans or locals out there that can give me the down-low? Is it a party/drug crowd, or chill/indy? Is booze expensive? Can we see giraffes from the camping zones? Is it a long walk to/from?

I'm just so excited for this lineup and need to indulge. There isn't a ton of information out there, and the website isn't that helpful. (srsly, where's the grounds map?)

The crowd is pretty  much relaxed. Much higher average age than many other festivals (more 25-40). I haven't seen any fights or vomiting in the past five years. Suits the setting with proper toilets and lots of food stalls with above average food. I honestly don't remember the drink prices, but food is a bit on the expensive side - but usually of great quality. If you eat on the festival site you probably want to buy two to three dishes each day, because of the quality and choice.

The walking distance is depending where you are staying. The closest camping is about 10-15 minutes away from the festival ground and the furthest about 45 minutes (bungalows). There is also a new bungalow site, but I have no idea how long you'll have to walk from there. On location you need about 5 minutes from Stage 1 to Stage 2, another 5 minutes from Stage 2 to Stage 4, 5-10 minutes from Stage 1 to Stage 3 and about 5-10 minutes from Stage 3 to Stage 5. Stage 5 and Stage 1 are furthest away (about 10-15 minutes). All depending on how crowded it is.

@timeforheroes Glad to help.

About waist-high, yes. If you have the airbed in you struggle to even sit in it and there's just enough space at the end of the airbed to put your suitcase in. That's a 2 person tent, wouldn't know about bigger ones. Regarding rain we luckily didn't have any last year, but the tents are made of several layers of cardboard so I suppose it would have to pour heavily all three days to really get through it. Wouldn't worry too much, and you can always pack some waterproof material to put over it I suppose.

The walk is ok, the annoying thing is the acts start early (2-ish) and you have to go 2 or 3 times each way every day if you want a bit of rest/change clothes and miss a lot of acts inbetween.

Didn't really use the market much, it's small - basics mostly. 

@pikeatheplace 0,4 beer was 4,4€ last year if I remember correctly, and 1€ for the plastic cup you get back if you return it. Reasonable prices for the Netherlands I'd say. The food is a bit more expensive (about 7-8€ for a hotdog (best hotdog ever though), 10 for burgers, 12 for large pad thai, etc), but the food is absolutely superb and you have as much choice as you could possibly want. Also a lot of vegan options if you're that weak :crazysmile:(just a joke, before pc police comes knocking).

1 hour ago, pikeatheplace said:

Is mdma common in the festival, or is it a more chill environment? Would a foreign person be able to get some inside, or is it not that easy? It would be pretty amazing to get some for LCD Soundsystem.

Didn't see anyone on it last year, it's not really that kind of festival tbh.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yeah not the biggest party festival. It's mostly a combination of young hipsters and adults who're really into 'not so commercial' music!

The atmosphere is always laidback and chill. But sometimes it's leaning a bit to boring. Since I like to have me a good party. (saying that from a more punkrock background, where everyone drinks way more and if you lose your friends you can hang around 2 hours and know 10 new people). Though during shows like The National, Deerhunter,,... it's obvious that there isn't a party atmosphere. But still BKS is my favourite festival. During the garagerock shows (such as Together Pangea, The Parrots, King Gizzard, Canshaker Pi) the vibe in the front is great!)

Getting some mdma or anything else inside doesn't seem that hard I think. Got some strong liquor inside a couple of times (and that's way bigger). 

Hey folks! Apologies if this has been covered earlier in the thread.

I've got a day ticket for the Friday and I'm coming over from Utrecht. Am I right in guessing the trains will have stopped running after the music ends? Is my only option to get a hotel in Tilburg? Any answers would be appreciated!

Cheers!

16 minutes ago, McCallion said:

I've got a day ticket for the Friday and I'm coming over from Utrecht. Am I right in guessing the trains will have stopped running after the music ends? Is my only option to get a hotel in Tilburg? Any answers would be appreciated!

Cheers!

If you're a party animal you can wait till morning and then go back in Utrecht with the first train in the morning ;)

43 minutes ago, mellowmaniac said:

Courtney Barnett will play a show in Cologne on June 13th. With the All Points East show in London on June 3rd, chances are very good for her to be at BKS as well.

I just read on another board that she'll also confirmed Utrecht... That's not a total KO (Rodriguez play Utrecht and Groningen as well), but chances are much slimmer.

On 14-2-2018 at 11:55 AM, McCallion said:

Cheers!

Last fast option back to Utrecht leaves at 00.54 and then you need to change at Eindhoven. I think you should be able to catch that if you leave right after AM. After that you have the two Night trains leaving at 01:02 and 02:02 with a change in Rotterdam, but those take forever (2:45) as they run via Amsterdam.

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, timeforheroes said:

I saw someone mention in the primavera thread there is secret or unannounced sets at bks. Does anyone who has been know how this works? What size of band? Is it on main stages etc? 

Cheers

There's a "secret garden" stage hidden behind one of the main ones. It's small. Super small. Bands playing there are the bands already on the lineup playing an additional set. There's a board with the timetable i think, but they announce it on social media a day or two in advance. I only saw Cigarettes after Sex there. Perfect kind of music for that stage. If you want to actually see the band, be there early.