Best Kept Secret Festival 2018

mellowmaniac

5 hours ago, kingcrawler said:

Didn’t Massive Attack pull out of Down the Rabbit Hole last year? I figured they were more likely to headline there again.

yeah I thought that but I read on festileaks the other day that they were looking unlikely for DTRH now. Think they've got two dates the same weekend 

1 hour ago, Dietediet said:

That was before being catapulted to worldwide headline status though. Having Arctics headlining a festival of this capacity (with Pinkpop and Lowlands being contenders) is at least on par with the Radiohead booking last year.

In 2014? They haven't grown significantly since then- they've been away for most of that time! 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, the wonderwhy said:

In 2014? They haven't grown significantly since then- they've been away for most of that time! 

I think bands grow while they're away more often than they grow during active periods. Just a hunch tho rather than a tested theory.

Anyway, there does seem to be an extra layer of excitement for Arctic Monkeys this time. Seems like everyone's fucking mad about them now with the amount people that are hoping they play the festival they're off to, and those people have probably already been bored shitless by their typical festival set before. This evening alone they've been compared to Radiohead for this and Daft Punk for Primavera, and I wouldn't have ever though Arctic Monkeys would be held in such high regard at either festival. Genuinely seem like the biggest band in the world.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, dentalplan said:

I think bands grow while they're away more often than they grow during active periods. Just a hunch tho rather than a tested theory.

Anyway, there does seem to be an extra layer of excitement for Arctic Monkeys this time. Seems like everyone's fucking mad about them now with the amount people that are hoping they play the festival they're off to, and those people have probably already been bored shitless by their typical festival set before. This evening alone they've been compared to Radiohead for this and Daft Punk for Primavera, and I wouldn't have ever though Arctic Monkeys would be held in such high regard at either festival. Genuinely seem like the biggest band in the world.

Seen AM several times on festivals and I've been underwhelmed each time. Last time (2014 at Roskilde) was better, but still not amazing, so I do not get the hype either. They have a shitload of great songs, but do not seem to be able to translate into a truly amazing liveshow for some reason. I doubt I'll go see it next time I get a chance at a festival.

3 hours ago, jonathansoegaard said:

Seen AM several times on festivals and I've been underwhelmed each time. Last time (2014 at Roskilde) was better, but still not amazing, so I do not get the hype either. They have a shitload of great songs, but do not seem to be able to translate into a truly amazing liveshow for some reason. I doubt I'll go see it next time I get a chance at a festival.

The lead singer is an arrogant twat, that's the reason.

Seen em twice. Once at Old Trafford which is probably the worst gig I've ever been to (rough crowd and terrible organisation didn't help) and at Pukkelpop 2009 where they just couldn't be arsed, and it showed.

I'm not in a hurry to see them again.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jonathansoegaard said:

I wonder if they're the sort of band that are better suited smaller venues (or shorter sets), I was blown away seeing them at King Tuts and the Barrowlands, 

19 hours ago, DiscothequeDave said:

The lead singer is an arrogant twat, that's the reason.

A-fucking-men. Finally someone who shares my opinion :D

Saw them a copule of years ago, their AM tour... Already missed the era of their good shows for 2-3 years. Alex standing mostly in one place for most of the show, doing his weird hip moves thinking about how much of a sex symbol for 14 year olds he is.

Edited by clasher

11 minutes ago, clasher said:

A-fucking-men. Finally someone who shares my opinion :D

Saw them a copule of years ago, their AM tour... Already missed the era of their good shows for 2-3 years. Alex standing mostly in one place for most of the show, doing his weird hip moves thinking about how much of a sex symbol for 14 year olds he is.

I used to be a massive fan of them. Never gone off a band so quickly.

2 hours ago, clasher said:

Honestly wouldn't mind seeing them at Mad Cool next year, although I expect to be let down...

This BKS lineup - with Arctics or without - seems rather uninspired so far. just my opinion of course.

I feel the same. A fan for years but never seen AM live. Comments from several threads lowered my expectations significantly. 

From the previous years I trust BKS with giving us an interesting undercard. A lot is yet to come of course, but hiphop isn't doing it for me.

Edited by StupidDream
Spelling

3 hours ago, clasher said:

Alex standing mostly in one place for most of the show, doing his weird hip moves thinking about how much of a sex symbol for 14 year olds he is.

giphy.gif

23 hours ago, DiscothequeDave said:

Seen em twice. Once at Old Trafford which is probably the worst gig I've ever been to (rough crowd and terrible organisation didn't help) and at Pukkelpop 2009 where they just couldn't be arsed, and it showed.

I'm not in a hurry to see them again.

Need to come and see them in Sheff! Their Leeds Fest performance in 2009 was a low point for me. But Sheffield a few years later when they did their own mini-fest day was amazing and Glasto 2013 was decent. 

• Like 1

On a completely different matter but would anyone be able to direct me to any Dutch ticket swap / resale sites where I might be able to enquire about camper van tickets? Travelling from the UK and have a weekend ticket but camper van tickets are sold out. I was at BKS 2016 in my van and had no problem getting a camper van ticket several weeks after they went on sale. Has the size / popularity of the festival increased significantly over the last year or two? Radiohead's fault?! Thanks. 

10 minutes ago, Claggy said:

On a completely different matter but would anyone be able to direct me to any Dutch ticket swap / resale sites where I might be able to enquire about camper van tickets? Travelling from the UK and have a weekend ticket but camper van tickets are sold out. I was at BKS 2016 in my van and had no problem getting a camper van ticket several weeks after they went on sale. Has the size / popularity of the festival increased significantly over the last year or two? Radiohead's fault?! Thanks. 

I think the best chances to get a ticket would be here:

https://www.ticketswap.nl/best-kept-secret-festival