NOS Alive 2018

Tremousse

We have enjoyed being able to be on the beach in the day and then head into the festival.

So far we have been at Caxais beach in the day which is only a couple of train stops away  (5minutes) from Alges. This has worked really well, but I would have liked to have been able to use the lock ups to drop the bag with our beach towels off. The lock ups here can only be used to leave things you aren't allowed to take in, so I have had to keep that stuff with me. Fortunately, I had pre-empted this eventuality by buying us some lightweight beach towels so my bag wasn't so bulky.

We are going to try some of the further beaches over the next couple of days.

The festival itself hasn't been that great for me. I've mainly enjoyed the bands I expected to, and it does seem pretty well organised (apart from the road block outside the toilets at changeover times) - but it just feels pretty soulless to me. I have especially hated the moment when a band has played their 'BIG' tune and you think it's really going to go off, and everyone just gets their phone out to film it instead.

I haven't had a shit time, I've quite enjoyed it, but sadly, despite loving the beach by day/festival by night combo, I can't think what would bring me back here.

We've got 3 good days to go in Lisbon though!

First visit for me and found it a great festival.  Easy to get to, easy to get in and the security and staff within were very friendly.  The beers at 4 euros for half a litre was decent value, as were most of the food stalls.  Quite impressed overall.

Negatives - some real choke points when the arena was full due to everyone going from the main to the second stage when bands ended and the walk taking you through where everyone was standing eating.  They could be done with having a few more toilets as well.  Big queues to get in and out.  The size of arena may not leave enough free space for a 3rd block but it's something they should maybe look at. 

Thursday was the least exciting day for me act wise and watched Bryan Ferry who was ok, Wolf Alice were decent and Arctic Monkeys who were pretty dull.  The day was made by NIN who were outstanding.

Friday - Was in to see Kaleo who were excellent.  @Gossard they did Iceland proud (met the guy with the long hair and glasses after their set, top lad). Little bit of BRMC from a distance who sounded the sames as they did years ago.  Eels in 2nd stage were amazingly good.  Yo La Tengo were ok but didn't float my boat.  The National on the other hand were fabulous and really should be a headliner.  QOTSA put in a top performance.  I sat outside on the benches and watched Future Islands.  They don't do it for me but I get how people like them.

Saturday - The Last Internationale were a fine start and followed by Marmozets who were quality despite a very poor crowd.  Saw a bit of AIC, then Franz who were fine.  Jack White surprised me with just how good a set he did.  I stayed for a bit of MGMT which was fine.

Pearl Jam - It's been 18 years since they played in Scotland and that was last time I've seen them live.  Their set was worth the travel, accommodation and ticket price alone.  Utterly fantastic set topped off by a great version of Comfortably Numb.  Such a fantastic band and amazing setlist.  

So after first visit to NOS, would I go back, without a doubt if the line up is as good as this year.  

• Upvote 2

That was pure magic again... The camping is definitely the best one in Europe. 

All acts we've seen were amazing except Arctic Monkeys who were really dull. Best acts imo : Pearl Jam (hands down), and, to my surprise, The National. Matt Berninger was sober and on fire, the setlist was perfect and with the sunset they stopped time. Good surprises : Blasted Mechanism, insane local party act, similar to The Prodigy. Franz Ferdinand smashed it as well. The crowd of PJ fans also sang loud during Alice In Chains. Special mention to Nine Inch Nails who nailed it!

This festival (with camping) is more of a human experience, but the music was stunningly good. Easily one of the very best festivals in the world. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Tremousse said:

That was pure magic again... The camping is definitely the best one in Europe. 

All acts we've seen were amazing except Arctic Monkeys who were really dull. Best acts imo : Pearl Jam (hands down), and, to my surprise, The National. Matt Berninger was sober and on fire, the setlist was perfect and with the sunset they stopped time. Good surprises : Blasted Mechanism, insane local party act, similar to The Prodigy. Franz Ferdinand smashed it as well. The crowd of PJ fans also sang loud during Alice In Chains. Special mention to Nine Inch Nails who nailed it!

This festival (with camping) is more of a human experience, but the music was stunningly good. Easily one of the very best festivals in the world. 

Agreed. The four of us over from Scotland had a brilliant time. Such a friendly place. There just doesn’t seem to be the standard dickheads that dot around UK festivals. That’s NOS and RW I’ve been to now and they’re both such friendly places to spend a weekend.

• Upvote 1

Third time for me this time. Not a lot seems to have changed since the first time I went 6 years ago to be honest. 

NIN were the stand out- truly amazing & probably one of the best festival sets I've ever seen. I was personally dissapointed by the National, I thought Matt's voice sounded shot.

Odd bit of bottlenecking aside I thought the organisation was handled really well. They really need to invest in a bar that sells proper spirits though (biggest let down of the whole festival in my opinion) 

David Byrne on the Wednesday at Cascais was outstanding on a side note. Very nice little set up they have there. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Third time for me this time. Not a lot seems to have changed since the first time I went 6 years ago to be honest. 

NIN were the stand out- truly amazing & probably one of the best festival sets I've ever seen. I was personally dissapointed by the National, I thought Matt's voice sounded shot.

Odd bit of bottlenecking aside I thought the organisation was handled really well. They really need to invest in a bar that sells proper spirits though (biggest let down of the whole festival in my opinion) 

David Byrne on the Wednesday at Cascais was outstanding on a side note. Very nice little set up they have there. 

First time I’ve seen NIN live and holy shit they were amazing. First three songs were shuddering my insides. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Red Day said:

First time I’ve seen NIN live and holy shit they were amazing. First three songs were shuddering my insides. 

My first time seeing all these acts live too. My friend and I came all the way from Southeast Asia just to catch them live. It was unforgettable. This is our first festival abroad and we really had a great time. Food was fine..as well as the drinks. And also the crowd. Too bad The Kooks had to cancel.

We went to Mad Cool on the Saturday to catch NIN and QOTSA live again..and honestly I liked NOS Alive better. If you complained about the toilets at NOS, you gotta see how they were like at Mad Cool. Haha. But anyways we would never regret coming to both of these festivals. Considering to come again next year if the lineups are as good as this year’s.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, themaddiefox said:

My first time seeing all these acts live too. My friend and I came all the way from Southeast Asia just to catch them live. It was unforgettable. This is our first festival abroad and we really had a great time. Food was fine..as well as the drinks. And also the crowd. Too bad The Kooks had to cancel.

We went to Mad Cool on the Saturday to catch NIN and QOTSA live again..and honestly I liked NOS Alive better. If you complained about the toilets at NOS, you gotta see how they were like at Mad Cool. Haha. But anyways we would never regret coming to both of these festivals. Considering to come again next year if the lineups are as good as this year’s.

Great stuff and glad you enjoyed. It makes things so much better when everyone seems to be having a great time in fine weather with too bands. Basically why I love music and festivals 

Good to hear everybody has had a good time. Generally I feel the same as the reports above. I do have to say I like my festivals smaller and more alternative, but it was good value for money. With some adjusting after the first day we've got round the crowds and queues. Would have liked to see more acts, but energy and crowds didn't permit, so we chose wisely. 

To start with some negatives:

- Just two toilet blocks that were crowded most of the times and were far from hygienic. Biggest problem was actually entering the block (often blocked by people leaving), after that no or short wait. Indeed, somewhat bigger festival site would be ideal.

- No great diversity in food. Ten or five years ago this would be normal, and perhaps most people wouldn't bother. Also time wisely and have a great meal before you go (we failed because too lazy after sleeping in).

- Some of the crowds during shows, especially near the front. The run NIN - Snow Patrol - AM got increasingly annoying with very pushy people. Some of them were British, most of them young Portugese I think. And then they started using their phones A LOT. It didn't feel that safe and even though it was a bit chilly, quite hot. Also quite some inconsiderate movers during other gigs, but maybe I am used to some extraordinary humble crowds. For me personally the smoking was really annoying.

Nevertheless, I had a positive experience in general. Well organised, experienced folks. Entered site easily every day (had picked up wristband in mall earlier). No real issues (Pearl Jam 15 minutes late, missed why?), no fighting or overly boozed up guys. Not the best sound, but good enough. The Sagres stage sometimes suffered from mainstage and also sound appeared to bounce off the back. I am glad it wasn't that hot, even a bit chillier than expected due to the wind. Drinks cheaper than expected and food also reasonably priced. Getting home at night was easier than expected (stayed in Belem), avoiding taxi queues. Took the bus first two nights and train the last when it wasn't as busy yet. Plus some good days in Lisbon afterwards and still a week elsewhere to go!

This festival is mostly about line-up and it was great. Have actually not seen any disappointing shows. Arctic Monkeys was mostly a bit spoiled by the crowds and not that surprising after seeing them last month. It is all okay, but they don't impress; setlist could still be improved imho. For me it lacks really memorable moments. 

Eels and Franz Ferdinand were both really great. They knew how to entertain a crowd, plus some great tunes. Alex Kapranos (FF) knows how to play a big field and we were surprised by the engagement of the crowd. PJ top-notch, first time seeing them. Was near the second set of speakers, people around me still in awe. NIN was very intense (base too loud for my liking), the music combined with light and live images. Wasn't too much into it, but glad I caught them. Snow Patrol not extraordinary; I am a fan, but it's not a great live act I think. QotSA is up there with the big guys now.

Went for Portugal. The Man instead of The National (seen them recently) and was positively surprised. Read a not-so-great review stating they seemed bored playing, full of bad jokes - maybe a one off. Obviously they liked Portugal and the crowd went mental. 

Probably wouldn't return soon, mostly because of different holiday plans and other festivals I want to try. But maybe they can persuade me with another great line-up; still enough to see and do in Portugal also. Hopefully they have updated and developed the festival by then.

Edited by StupidDream

On 26 July 2018 at 12:28 PM, oxford20 said:

Interesting to see peoples views on this, we went in 2016 and my main gripe was that the sound from the main stage was so quiet , assuming it was all ok this year as nobody has mentioned it!?

I thought the sound at the main stage was fantastic. Really crisp as well as loud,mand you could feel the bass coming right through the floor.

Less good at Sagres, a bit echoey  with some sound bleed from the clubbing stage which affected acts like Rag n Bone Man a bit.

The sound was probably the most impressive thing here.

On 7/26/2018 at 1:28 PM, oxford20 said:

Interesting to see peoples views on this, we went in 2016 and my main gripe was that the sound from the main stage was so quiet , assuming it was all ok this year as nobody has mentioned it!?

I was there too in 2016 and only noticed the quiet main stage sound at the start of Radiohead's set. Rest of the weekend wasn't that bad, was it? Specifically remember Biffy and Foals killing my ears...

6 minutes ago, visdave34 said:

I was there too in 2016 and only noticed the quiet main stage sound at the start of Radiohead's set. Rest of the weekend wasn't that bad, was it? Specifically remember Biffy and Foals killing my ears...

Can confirm that. 2017 was great, The XX had the best open-air-sound I've ever heard.