NOS Alive 2018

Tremousse

1 hour ago, mike86 said:

How difficult is it to grab a taxi/uber?

I'm staying pretty central. A 10 minute drive, but 2 hour walk so it looks like the only option will be a taxi. Will possibly get my hotel to pre-book one if thats possible. 

There's central point where taxis drive from the festival to the city. if you get one, I would recommend that - it's cheap. You pay like 10 euro from the festivalsite to lisboa city center. if you leave early you don't have long queues, if you don't you need to wait 30-45 min.

But: To reach this central point you also have to walk the far distance first, because it's mainly at the same point as the trains and busses depart.

I mean this part: https://goo.gl/maps/A9ZRUT8Awkt

When you arrive you can take the easy (blue line)  walk. At night you have to walk a circle across the highwayround (yellow) which is much further than it looks. (it's closed for cars then).

But it’s safe to walk the far distance, right? I mean it’s really late and almost morning no one is going to harm you or whatever? I’ve never been to the festival and Portugal before. This will be my first.

There is police everywhere, especially on that walkway. There's so much police that I felt a little bit unsafe because of so many of them :D

Edited by with_tired_eyes

Anyone that has been before do you know where the best place to stay is for location to the festival and for having a general good time in Lisbon with transport too? Would it be better placed closer to the venue or centre of Lisbon? Any recommendations would be great and if anyone hears about a couple of spare 3 day passes or Sat day ticket passes that would be amazing. 

Also, does anyone know when the whole festival usually sells out?

48 minutes ago, foolee said:

Anyone that has been before do you know where the best place to stay is for location to the festival and for having a general good time in Lisbon with transport too? Would it be better placed closer to the venue or centre of Lisbon? Any recommendations would be great and if anyone hears about a couple of spare 3 day passes or Sat day ticket passes that would be amazing. 

Also, does anyone know when the whole festival usually sells out?

Best stay in lisbon is Alfama I think. Lovely place, many small streets/restaurants/ good places to visit, not that overcrowded. You have access to the metro to Cais du Sodre there.

Best stay according to reach the festival may be Belem (which is close to the festival), but that's far from the city center and there not so much to do before that (except the visit of the beautiful monastry).

If you like to get fast to the festival (and stay in the city centre) stay close to "Cais Du Sodre". It's the train station where every train to Alges (Festivalsite) departs and and arrives and it is close to Bairro Alto, where you can find many bars, if you like that. There are many hostels in Bairro Alto. It's nice, but it's full of tourists and bars. If you like to stay quiet - stay at Alfama.

Near "Rossio" is also a very good place to stay, because it's central to everything.

"Also, does anyone know when the whole festival usually sells out?"

This year was special - in the last years you where able to buy 3-day-passes until april/may....

Edited by with_tired_eyes
  • Upvote 2

18 hours ago, with_tired_eyes said:

Best stay in lisbon is Alfama I think. Lovely place, many small streets/restaurants/ good places to visit, not that overcrowded. You have access to the metro to Cais du Sodre there.

Best stay according to reach the festival may be Belem (which is close to the festival), but that's far from the city center and there not so much to do before that (except the visit of the beautiful monastry).

If you like to get fast to the festival (and stay in the city centre) stay close to "Cais Du Sodre". It's the train station where every train to Alges (Festivalsite) departs and and arrives and it is close to Bairro Alto, where you can find many bars, if you like that. There are many hostels in Bairro Alto. It's nice, but it's full of tourists and bars. If you like to stay quiet - stay at Alfama.

Near "Rossio" is also a very good place to stay, because it's central to everything.

"Also, does anyone know when the whole festival usually sells out?"

This year was special - in the last years you where able to buy 3-day-passes until april/may....

Nice info... thanks

19 hours ago, with_tired_eyes said:

We stayed around that place last year, really nice small town just outside of the city and crowds.. :) 

7 hours ago, Elephant-Stone said:

Sorry if this has been mentioned in this thread previous but... 

few of us looking to stay airbnb in Bairro Alto couple days before and during the festival. Is this gonna be a mistake or is it quite a decent location? First time at Nos this year lineup's lookin top

It's always a mistake to use airbnb ;-) Despite that, it's a good place to stay.

Hi all, we're staying near the Santos train stop. Don't fancy waiting around in the early morn for train and the walk would be 1hr 30mins (eep!) anyone have experience with cycling back into the city? Or have they seen people do it previous years? Thanks :) 

There's a straight walkway from the festival to santos parallel to the tejo river. It's one of the few streets thats not mountainous in Lisbon and good for cycling. But as said before it's usually no problem to take the train. Btw: Check out LxFactory, which is not so far away.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, with_tired_eyes said:

It's always a mistake to use airbnb ;-) Despite that, it's a good place to stay.

There's a straight walkway from the festival to santos parallel to the tejo river. It's one of the few streets thats not mountainous in Lisbon and good for cycling. But as said before it's usually no problem to take the train. Btw: Check out LxFactory, which is not so far away.

I'm a big fan of airbnb haha but got me worried now. Bairro alto it is, thanks for your reply 

12 hours ago, davidthefly said:

We are staying near Santos and have gone to the festival for the past two years....trains are incredibly easy and frequent. You will have absolutely no problems even at 3am or later. 

This is excellent news - we are in Santos too. I could see it was a stright run on the train but the rest was guesswork as to how well the trains ran. 

On 2/24/2018 at 8:04 AM, with_tired_eyes said:

Excellent, thanks for the tip! Will definitely check out LxFactory :)

3 hours ago, themaddiefox said:

I'm staying near Anjos. Does anyone know how far it is from the venue?

and when will tickets be shipped though? I'm kind of worried that they would send them out a couple of weeks before the festival day. 

I stayed there in 2015, too. It's quite easy: You take the green metro-line, travel to cais du sodre and take the train like all the others.

When you go back - take a taxi (from cais du sodre or the festivalsite). The metro starts at 6.30 so you won't get back after the festival.

37 minutes ago, with_tired_eyes said:

I stayed there in 2015, too. It's quite easy: You take the green metro-line, travel to cais du sodre and take the train like all the others.

When you go back - take a taxi (from cais du sodre or the festivalsite). The metro starts at 6.30 so you won't get back after the festival.

6:30 AM? So I will have to take a taxi back to my hotel since the metro starts at 6:30 AM?

12 minutes ago, themaddiefox said:

6:30 AM? So I will have to take a taxi back to my hotel since the metro starts at 6:30 AM?

You can also try to walk from Cais du Sodre (which I would not recommend). There's a regional train from alges to that station in lisbon which runs every 30 minutes during the whole night, but it ends at Cais Du Sodre. The metro-lines close somewhat around 12/1 A.M.

They are also some night busses, but I haven't managed to figure out, how they work and where to leave, because usually they don't show the stations in the bus.

36 minutes ago, with_tired_eyes said:

You can also try to walk from Cais du Sodre (which I would not recommend). There's a regional train from alges to that station in lisbon which runs every 30 minutes during the whole night, but it ends at Cais Du Sodre. The metro-lines close somewhat around 12/1 A.M.

They are also some night busses, but I haven't managed to figure out, how they work and where to leave, because usually they don't show the stations in the bus.

Okay then. Thanks!

I just googled the night bus service, there's one from Carris: http://www.carris.pt/en/dawn-network/ Based on the network map, they have a bus that stops at Anjos. 

21 minutes ago, themaddiefox said:

Okay then. Thanks!

I just googled the night bus service, there's one from Carris: http://www.carris.pt/en/dawn-network/ Based on the network map, they have a bus that stops at Anjos. 

Yes, there is possibly a bus and if you get the right one - perfect. I'm not sure how many people you are, but a taxi in lisbon at night cost a minimum of 4 euro, but this includes the first 3-4 kilometers. So the whole way back from the festival will cost around 12/13 euro, from Cais Du Sodre ca. 7 € - which is nearly the same price for 3-4 people if you take the train/bus, and a taxi delivers you directly to your hotel. 

Uber is great in Lisbon, download the app if you already haven't done so. Not sure how good it will be when the festival throws out though.

I'm in an Airbnb in Alfama also. Lovely part of the city.

Going to Cascais on the Wednesday to see David Byrne too. 40 mins on the train from Lisbon.