ID Required Events

Sam1988

Hi there I'm looking for some advice.  I bought tickets for The Killers show in Brixton Academy, and I can no longer attend as I have an ear infection.  I have contacted Ticketmaster who say because of the ID checks I am unable to sell them on even if I cannot attend.  I know I agreed to this in advance of buying tickets, however I did not foresee getting an ear infection.  Is there no form of consumer law that I could turn to?

Thanks in advance of any potential advice!

I've got exactly the same problem, bought a pair of Gorillaz tickets for Manchester in December. Turns out that Mrs Jass will be eight months pregnant and doesn't fancy a trip up to Manchester from London for some strange reason. What's more annoying is that I sold them on Twickets without realising that ID was required, only saw when I went to email the confirmation to the buyer. offered to refund them and I ended up losing eight quid on the deal (bloody admin fees!)

I've been to a few gigs where it states ID required and nobody has bothered checking. Depends on whether the buying party wants to risk it I suppose.

Couldn't Twickets issue some sort of certificate after selling that could be printed out saying that the ticket has been sold from Person A to Person B at face value?

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I've been to a few gigs where it states ID required and nobody has bothered checking. Depends on whether the buying party wants to risk it I suppose.

I've panicked several times with the ID checks after buying second hand tickets or printing the wrong name etc. Most of the time the worry is unnecessary as checks aren't made however I was once called up on it quite thoroughly in Camden. Good shout on the certificate but as it's not something that is currently offered, I suppose it's just a case of risking it. From my experience, once the company has sold the ticket, they offer little assistance regarding any problems you may have. Shame really.

In my experience I have used other peoples tickets  and never had a problem, but I think in the wake of the Manchester attack they have to become stricter.  Did you not have an option of insurance for non attendance? Mind you there is in argument that this is just another rip off money grabbing insurance scam. Maybe we'll all be refunded in years to come, same as PPI. Fingers crossed.Time the people in charge refunded fully for un-used goods. IMO.

The named tickets tend to be for gigs that will sell out, and as a swap platform could still be vulnerable to touts, one solution could be a waiting list with a commitment to buy from the prospective buyer. Then the ticker issuer would buy back the ticket from the original buyer and re-sell it to the person on the waiting list, collecting an additional booking fee along the way.

I'm sure there are flaws in that idea.

Edited by cammie81

If you're selling a ticket to a close friend/family member then i would give them your ID/driving license/old bank card etc to take with them to the gig. They can then show those checking on the doors that the name on the tickets and the ID matches, which obviously shows they've not been gained from touting. 

I saw this work first hand at Muse a couple of years ago in Manchester and the guy seemed cool with it, and he was being very vigilant with others too. Worth a shot as a last resort. 

Edited by st dan