Predictions for 2018

xxialac

2 minutes ago, paulwa said:

The secret is to stand very central, somewhere in front of the mixing desk, for bands you really want to see. Anywhere off to the sides and it sounds like a wet cardboard box being thumped with a wooden spoon.

Actually, as it happens, most of my favourite bands' trademark sound is like a wet cardboard box being thumped with a wooden spoon.

I don't think the sound is that bad in there, it's more the contrast between the buccolic setting of the festival, the space, the fresh air, the country vibes, and then a walk into those gloomy tunnels with your eyes struggling to adjust and the juxtapositon between the outside, a stage among the trees with a fey country singer who's all like 'shucks, folks, y'all so sweet', and the dark and mean tent with some unhinged frontman with bad hair howling into a microphone. It's... intense.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, paulwa said:

The secret is to stand very central, somewhere in front of the mixing desk, for bands you really want to see. Anywhere off to the sides and it sounds like a wet cardboard box being thumped with a wooden spoon.

Ah, the St Anger drum sound

12 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Educated guesses on the late night tipi sets??? Last year 2 played from Friday lineup, 0 from Saturday and 6 from Sunday so guess that's a clue.

Guesses for not playing but could: 

Interpol - doing two instores in London on Wednesday 29th and Thursday 30th (Rough Trade and Banquet Records) with no other gigs lined up in the UK. Could they be playing a secret set? All new album? 

Boygenius - impending new project by Lucy Dacus, Julien Baker and Phoebe Bridgers. 2/3 are playing the festival, Phoebe is at Green Man but continues to play in the UK afterwards. Could they launch it at eotr? 

And surely Ezra Furman will play late night on the Sunday? 

3 hours ago, AdamGNJ said:

Guesses for not playing but could: 

Interpol - doing two instores in London on Wednesday 29th and Thursday 30th (Rough Trade and Banquet Records) with no other gigs lined up in the UK. Could they be playing a secret set? All new album? 

Boygenius - impending new project by Lucy Dacus, Julien Baker and Phoebe Bridgers. 2/3 are playing the festival, Phoebe is at Green Man but continues to play in the UK afterwards. Could they launch it at eotr? 

And surely Ezra Furman will play late night on the Sunday? 

Last year they only had bands doubling up so assume unlikely.

53 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Last year they only had bands doubling up so assume unlikely.

I know I am probably touting two very unlikely options, however I thought I would put the theories out there, just in case.  

Would Josh T Pearson do the late night slot on the Friday? He is back at the festival on the Saturday lunchtime doing the loud and quiet podcast.  

On 8/13/2018 at 9:16 AM, Mardy said:

I don't think the sound is that bad in there, it's more the contrast between the buccolic setting of the festival, the space, the fresh air, the country vibes, and then a walk into those gloomy tunnels with your eyes struggling to adjust and the juxtapositon between the outside, a stage among the trees with a fey country singer who's all like 'shucks, folks, y'all so sweet', and the dark and mean tent with some unhinged frontman with bad hair howling into a microphone. It's... intense.

I think that experience might be one of my favorite things about EOTR. Wandering into the Big Top mid-day in 2011 to see HEALTH and Bo Ningen was one of my favorite festival moments anywhere. To realize something that wild and different from what was happening elsewhere was going on at the festival was brilliant.

5 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I bring word from Green Man, we ALL must watch Haley Heynderickx, she is quite extraordinary.

Twas always on the plan! And a tip for you in return... I've seen Lucy Dacus grow in stature over the last couple of years, since her solo Tipi slot at EOTR 2016. The band are tight, the guitars heavier, she now has a great scream and songs that build... and a nice slot on the Woods stage. I recommend!

Very pleasantly surprised by Hayley Heynderickx - not usually into the American college-rock-folk stuff but that album of hers is lovely!

It's funny, as a devoted EOTR punter, that i struggle with what is perhaps the hegemonic music represented at the festival: American late-twenty somethings, very hyped online, simple guitar/bass/drums line up, sometimes-punky sometimes-folky, relatively linear rock n roll structures, very ernest lyricism, etc... I'd put Snail Mail, Soccer Mommy, Big Thief, Alex G, Julien Baker, Japanese Breakfast in there. Probably a load of others, too. Maybe I should give em more of a go - orrrrr maybe I'll just stick to those outliers I love so dearly (Mulatu Astatke, Richard Dawson, Omar Souleyman, Julia Holter, Ariel Pink & so on).

17 minutes ago, ElGanzo said:

Damien Jurado cancels his European tour due to health reasons. Gutted but obviously hopefully he is ok.

Fingers crossed they put Richard Dawson in his slot so I can see both him and Anna Burch.

Where'd you hear that!? Not on his social media!