Predictions for 2018

xxialac

6 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Why does them being there the week after mean they are not for this year?

I read the Number 6 announcement which just says "Festival No.6 is the band’s only confirmed UK date outside of London" so perhaps they will play others but are not yet confirmed??

i've been told (cos I wrote a piss-take article :P) that it will be their "only northern date" or "only northern festival".

(that's from memory, so i hope I've got that right).

As that's different to what was said for no.6 in its press release, it implies there's stuff outside of london in the south to be announced.

44 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

i've been told (cos I wrote a piss-take article :P) that it will be their "only northern date" or "only northern festival".

As that's different to what was said for no.6 in its press release, it implies there's stuff outside of london in the south to be announced.

So an exclusive appearance in a fictional village then :D

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

The The have already announced for Bristol and Birmingham in September

3 hours ago, shoebox said:

They didn't, they were in the Big Top. Unless there was a secret set that I missed. They were phenomenal that year though. Such a great band.

If i remember correctly Hookworms were supposed to play a late night tip secret set but there was an issue with the volume that is allowed after midnight and they were too loud and weren't able to go ahead with it.

1 hour ago, RustySpanner said:

Not any more they won’t be - announced today that they have split up.

Thanks for that.

Jeez, that’s bad news though.  I see they say “Obviously if there's no band, then it's understandably not really in Bella Union's interests to put out the previously announced album, therefore I’ve asked them not to release 'Up!’ at this point in time, which they have agreed to.”

I would absolutely disagree from Bella Union’s point of view.  Fair play to them, but they would have been onto a very good thing having the last album to release.  Hopefully it’ll see the light of day at some stage.

• 2 weeks later...

Mogwai 

Gengahr

Tiga Lily

My Bloody Valentine 

DD Dumbo

Mild High Club

Easy Giant

Mansun (Paul Draper)

Super Furry Animals 

Cocteau twins 

Unknown Mortal Orchestra 

Spiritualized 

King Gizzard 

Hawkwind 

Au.Ra

Sunbeam Sound Machine 

Three Trapped Tigers

Tycho 

Daughter

Young Majic 

Guillimots 

Sir was

Pinkultrashinyultrablast

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

New Green Man acts today. Would have liked Joan as police woman.

Otherwise, it pales in comparison to EOTR and oddly a lot of acts that were booked for EOTR last year.

Roll on next week's announcement of new bands.

Seems weird that King Gizzard, as prolific as they are, have gone from third on the Big Top at EOTR 2016 to headlining Green Man.

1 minute ago, SweepingTheNation said:

Seems weird that King Gizzard, as prolific as they are, have gone from third on the Big Top at EOTR 2016 to headlining Green Man.

Agree. I quite like them...but they are not yet headliner status and probably never will be.

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

Agree. I quite like them...but they are not yet headliner status and probably never will be.

I dunno... they sold out Brixton and a string of other UK/Europe shows in large theater type venues. Pretty sure that would make them big enough to headline EOTR and Green Man.

1 minute ago, suttttttt said:

I dunno... they sold out Brixton and a string of other UK/Europe shows in large theater type venues. Pretty sure that would make them big enough to headline EOTR and Green Man.

I think one of the great things about EOTR is its consistent approach of pushing "smaller" bands higher up the bill, giving them their first chance to impress a bigger crowd and break into bigger things, including some of the headliners we've seen over the years. I love it when the lead singer humbly says something like "oh my God, I didn't think this many of you would show up", which happens quite regularly.

1 minute ago, paulwa said:

I think one of the great things about EOTR is its consistent approach of pushing "smaller" bands higher up the bill, giving them their first chance to impress a bigger crowd and break into bigger things, including some of the headliners we've seen over the years. I love it when the lead singer humbly says something like "oh my God, I didn't think this many of you would show up", which happens quite regularly.

I agree and I think Gizz would fall into that category. They seemed pretty in awe at the amount of people at the Brixton show. Festivals that champion up and comers are a great thing and it should continue!

3 hours ago, suttttttt said:

The previously announced headliners were Fleet Foxes and The War on Drugs, so both male and very static on stage, and my guess is the 3rd headliner was going to be either female and/or someone who would add a bit of visual razamataz.

15 hours ago, Born in the fifties said:

The previously announced headliners were Fleet Foxes and The War on Drugs, so both male and very static on stage, and my guess is the 3rd headliner was going to be either female and/or someone who would add a bit of visual razamataz.

King Gizz are very visual and high energy in comparison with the other two. From what I gather they tried to get a female headliner but it didn't work out.

On 01/03/2018 at 9:26 AM, xxialac said:

New Green Man acts today. Would have liked Joan as police woman.

Otherwise, it pales in comparison to EOTR and oddly a lot of acts that were booked for EOTR last year.

Roll on next week's announcement of new bands.

EOTR is definitely the better line up 

However it's worth pointing out that EOTR has a lot of bands that played green man last year