Predictions for 2018

xxialac

2 hours ago, zahidf said:

I think vampire weekend fans are similar to Mac De Marco fans im afraid.  

I think I would have said the same thing a few years ago. But its been 5 years since their last album and I think the much more interesting and "lesser known" undercard will put off any of those VW fans from yesteryear. From where I stood, Mac de Marco was a more current name for the type to be loud, talkative and littering.

Either way, I'm very excited about this.

I feel like Green Man and EOTR accidentally swapped line ups. Usually I'm a little jealous of GM's diversity and eclecticism, but this year their line up is well boring (minus the inimitable Dirty Projectors) whereas EOTR's line up is brimming with the eclecticism that once belonged to our Welsh brothers.

If the two festivals are at war (they are amiable but let's not pretend they don't want each other dead) then surely EOTR comes out supreme this year. What a crackin' line up!! Still can't quite comprehend the Ariel Pink / Mulatu Astatke / Omar Souleyman / Julia Holter / Richard Dawson coup...

10 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Whats the weather been like in recent years? Last year was a little ropey?

Also, whats the story with Thursday night? Are there bands on?

Weather is always hit n miss. Never been disastrous though.

Yo La Tengo are playing on the Thursday! There'll probably be another band or two on the main stage before them, as well as 4 acts in the Tipi Tent (the smallest stage)

Just now, shoebox said:

2016 the Saturday was a wash-out, 2017 the Sunday was as relentlessly grim as you could ever expect. But the rest of those weekends have been fine to glorious.

Oh yeah I blocked out Sunday 2017... Fucking hell that was miserable. The previous days had been great though. The usual forecast seems to be a day of showers, a day of blazing sun, and the rest your typical sunny-ish overcast August.

1 hour ago, shoebox said:

2016 the Saturday was a wash-out, 2017 the Sunday was as relentlessly grim as you could ever expect. But the rest of those weekends have been fine to glorious.

i don't remember 2016 being a "wash-out". rained for about 5 hours on Saturday afternoon/evening. Through Goat amd Local natives I recall. 2017 Sunday was raining at 07:30 when I went for a leak, still raining at 02:00 when leaving the tipi. 

3 hours ago, WM Hall said:

AND YOU KNOW WHAT THE BEST THING ABOUT THIS LINE UP IS?

THE RELEGATION OF GREASY TEENAGE BOY GUITAR BANDS TO MERE ALSO-RANS. Yea, there's Fat White Family (shudder) and Oh Sees, but generally speaking Simon seems to have noted the infestation of dreadful greasy specimens last year and gone "fuck em"

So many interesting bands instead. So much more international - African, Middle-Eastern - music, so much more electronic music, so much more 'out-there' alternative music.

Not too sure that Oh Sees would be classed as a GTBGB, and also not too sure how many GTBGB's there were last year. it is, of course, horses for courses and what you like.

1 minute ago, AndyfromBrackley said:

Not too sure that Oh Sees would be classed as a GTBGB, and also not too sure how many GTBGB's there were last year. it is, of course, horses for courses and what you like.

Mac Demarco, Ty Segall, Pond, Parquet Courts (altho i love em..), Car Seat Headrest, RBCF, Slowdive, J&MC, Ultimate Painting

Perhaps it just felt like a rise in A Certain Demographic. Then again - I look like that demographic (I am that demographic) and perhaps I'm being snobbish. Just personal gripes init.

49 minutes ago, xxialac said:

The Sunday last year was biblically end of the world depressing.

Oh yeah, it was awful. The Big Top was crammed for most of it. However seeing Perfume Genius' performance in the rain was certainly on the good side of biblical

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, zahidf said:

I think vampire weekend fans are similar to Mac De Marco fans im afraid.  

Really? it is one of those things one has to get over, I'm afraid...or get down the front and join in! I'd suggest that Shame my have this type of following by September. I'll let you know after I've seen them in April

2 minutes ago, WM Hall said:

Mac Demarco, Ty Segall, Pond, Parquet Courts (altho i love em..), Car Seat Headrest, RBCF, Slowdive, J&MC, Ultimate Painting

Perhaps it just felt like a rise in A Certain Demographic. Then again - I look like that demographic (I am that demographic) and perhaps I'm being snobbish. Just personal gripes init.

It clearly is personal taste WM, we were on the rail for Pond, and had Mac Demarco carried over our heads, at the end of his crowd surf from the Woods stage, but I get what you mean. It's a great line-up, and plenty there for everyone