Predictions for 2018

xxialac

17 hours ago, WM Hall said:

posting this here to see if my predictions are anyway near accurate come tomorrow morning.

Woods:

Belle & Sebastian | Warpaint | Bonnie Prince Billy

Ezra Furman, Dirty Projectors, First Aid Kit, Courtney Barnett, Tune-Yards, Alex G

Garden:

Kamasi Washington | Deerhunter | Mercury Rev

Calexico, Big Thief, Aldous Harding, Richard Dawson, Julie Byrne

Well that was a shite prediction.

Crackin line up though

Largely suits me - the 3 headliners are a bit take it or leave it, but YLT, John Cale, Tweedy, Oh Sees, Julia Holter, Destroyer, Omar Souleyman, (Sandy) Alex G, James Holden, Hookworms, IDLES, Protomartyr, etc. Undercard is great.

WHAT A SUPERB LINE UP. THE MOST 'OUT THERE' / GENERALLY INTERESTING ONE YET..

ARIEL PINK, MULATU ASTATKE, OMAR SOULEYMAN, JULIA HOLTER, RICHARD DAWSON ARE MY TOP FIVES BUT THATS BARELY EVEN SCRAPIN THE SURFACE...

Destroyer, Yo La Tengo, John Cale, Feist, Duds, Kaitlin Aurelia Smith...

I'll just pretend I didn't see the repulsively awful Fat White Family on there...

AND YOU KNOW WHAT THE BEST THING ABOUT THIS LINE UP IS?

THE RELEGATION OF GREASY TEENAGE BOY GUITAR BANDS TO MERE ALSO-RANS. Yea, there's Fat White Family (shudder) and Oh Sees, but generally speaking Simon seems to have noted the infestation of dreadful greasy specimens last year and gone "fuck em"

So many interesting bands instead. So much more international - African, Middle-Eastern - music, so much more electronic music, so much more 'out-there' alternative music.

Just now, WM Hall said:

AND YOU KNOW WHAT THE BEST THING ABOUT THIS LINE UP IS?

THE RELEGATION OF GREASY TEENAGE BOY GUITAR BANDS TO MERE ALSO-RANS. Yea, there's Fat White Family (shudder) and Oh Sees, but generally speaking Simon seems to have noted the infestation of dreadful greasy specimens last year and gone "fuck em"

So many interesting bands instead. So much more international - African, Middle-Eastern - music, so much more electronic music, so much more 'out-there' alternative music.

Mac de Marco brought some dickish fans last year and this is a dramatically more mature selection that will surely put them off.

5 minutes ago, zahidf said:

I think vampire weekend fans are similar to Mac De Marco fans im afraid.  

I wouldn't say there's 100% crossover between the two and Vampire Weekend's shtick of being "NY sophisticated indie pop/rock" is quite different to Mac's carefree attitude and being really crazy live. I think it is more of an age thing rather than direct correlation of interests but I'm sure there is a bit of similarity.

Anyway, I think this is the best line-up of 2018 personally. I love Vampire Weekend, Ezra, Julien Baker(!), Oh Sees, Ariel Pink, Aldous Harding was brilliant last year. Saw St Vincent's new tour and did not care for it one bit - probably the worst gig I've seen which was frustrating as it was St Vincent - but Hookworms and Alex G brings it right back up