Predictions for 2018

xxialac

22 minutes ago, Goodfinger said:

At some stage - maybe not in 2018 - I do think that EOTR will have the three Woods stage headliners as female-fronted acts.

Last year was very blokey by their standards, so I'd expect there to be a reaction to that this year.

They are very good generally on that: its normally 50/50 across all stages

I think EOTR have always had a very strong female presence, and I think you're right. 

But going back on what I just said with regards to "mass appeal not being as important as simply the right artists", I guess everything would have to align to get three female headliners touring and with material to promote ready at the same time. That's more of a comment on the industry though, as opposed to a slight against EOTR's booking policy.

I mean, of EOTR type acts, who would be feasible headliners right now?

• Angel Olsen
  • Courtney Barnett
  • Sharon Van Etten
  • Bjork
  • PJ Harvey
  • Joanna Newsom
  • Yeah Yeah Yeahs
  • St Vincent
  • Sleater Kinney
  • Laura Marling
  • First Aid Kit
Edited by shoebox

24 minutes ago, Goodfinger said:

At some stage - maybe not in 2018 - I do think that EOTR will have the three Woods stage headliners as female-fronted acts.

Last year was very blokey by their standards, so I'd expect there to be a reaction to that this year.

I was thinking about that earlier, something like First Aid Kit, Yeah Yeah Yeahs and St Vincent.

I agree i could definitely see them making a statement like that at some point, would definitely generate a lot of positive publicity, i do however think they have always been very female friendly in terms of the acts they book and probably don't need something like that.  

2 hours ago, bobbyperu said:

Why would Big Thief be long shots? Is there a clash on somewhere? Was really hoping they would be on the bill somewhere.

Just on the fact that they are american and don't seem scheduled to be in England at this time. Where Phoebe playing Green Man and Idles being English they have more chance. I hope they are as the last album was amazing 

posting this here to see if my predictions are anyway near accurate come tomorrow morning.

Woods:

Belle & Sebastian | Warpaint | Bonnie Prince Billy

Ezra Furman, Dirty Projectors, First Aid Kit, Courtney Barnett, Tune-Yards, Alex G

Garden:

Kamasi Washington | Deerhunter | Mercury Rev

Calexico, Big Thief, Aldous Harding, Richard Dawson, Julie Byrne

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, WM Hall said:

posting this here to see if my predictions are anyway near accurate come tomorrow morning.

Woods:

Belle & Sebastian | Warpaint | Bonnie Prince Billy

Ezra Furman, Dirty Projectors, First Aid Kit, Courtney Barnett, Tune-Yards, Alex G

Garden:

Kamasi Washington | Deerhunter | Mercury Rev

Calexico, Big Thief, Aldous Harding, Richard Dawson, Julie Byrne

Warpaint aside, id agree with that. swap out warpaint with Mogwai or my bloody valentine i reckon 

3 hours ago, shoebox said:

I think EOTR have always had a very strong female presence, and I think you're right. 

But going back on what I just said with regards to "mass appeal not being as important as simply the right artists", I guess everything would have to align to get three female headliners touring and with material to promote ready at the same time. That's more of a comment on the industry though, as opposed to a slight against EOTR's booking policy.

I mean, of EOTR type acts, who would be feasible headliners right now?

• Angel Olsen
  • Courtney Barnett
  • Sharon Van Etten
  • Bjork
  • PJ Harvey
  • Joanna Newsom
  • Yeah Yeah Yeahs
  • St Vincent
  • Sleater Kinney
  • Laura Marling
  • First Aid Kit

would fiona apple be hopelessly optimistic 

Just announced: "The cat is nearly outta the bag! We'll be revealing our secrets at 9am tomorrow. Set your alarms."

Not reading too much into the above, but my tips are now:

Cat Power

The Outta Sites

The Bags (reformed)

Revealer

Secrets

Tomorrow (reformed)

The Alarm

Several random Bella Union acts.

Needless to say, my alarm is always set.

Now at last, say hello to our first wave of acts playing End Of The Road Festival 2018!

Headlining this year will be the incredible Vampire Weekend - announcing their first show in four years - and Feist, who will both make their long-awaited Larmer Tree debuts for their only UK festival appearances of the summer. Joining them will be the dazzling St. Vincent and our Thursday night headliners, Yo La Tengo, who will open #EOTR18.

Elsewhere we have the ever thrilling Ezra Furman, the mesmerising Julia Holter, and the legendary John Cale and Jeff Tweedy, of The Velvet Underground and Wilco fame respectively.

There's still more to come, you can find our lineup so far and tickets at /EOTR18

Illustration : Kai Wong
Animation : Joseph Brett

Vampire Weekend
St. Vincent
Feist
Yo La Tengo
Ezra Furman
Jeff Tweedy
John Cale
Fat White Family
Oh Sees
Gruff Rhys