Predictions for 2018

xxialac

last year i correctly predicted that Father John Misty, The Lemon Twigs, Girl Ray and Let's Eat Grandma would all be playing.

this year, my money is on three of the following to headline: Bonnie Prince Billy, Warpaint, Belle & Sebastian, Grizzly Bear, Nick Cave, Beach House, St Vincent or Beck.

the undercard will include: Idles, Big Thief, Richard Dawson, Alex G, Courtney Barnett, First Aid Kit, John Maus and Ezra Furman

2 hours ago, WM Hall said:

last year i correctly predicted that Father John Misty, The Lemon Twigs, Girl Ray and Let's Eat Grandma would all be playing.

this year, my money is on three of the following to headline: Bonnie Prince Billy, Warpaint, Belle & Sebastian, Grizzly Bear, Nick Cave, Beach House, St Vincent or Beck.

the undercard will include: Idles, Big Thief, Richard Dawson, Alex G, Courtney Barnett, First Aid Kit, John Maus and Ezra Furman

Nick Cave/St Vincent/Beck would absolutely get me there. Bonnie Prince Billy and Warpaint maybe not so much.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RustySpanner said:

Jesus, Warpaint as a headliner?! No thanks.

I’m pretty confident Lost Horizons will be on the bill somewhere - maybe Garden headliner or sub on the Woods? Bella Union link is so strong, just think it has to happen.

Undercard - hoping for Gengahr, also think The Big Moon and Shopping will return.

Lost Horizons wouldn't even headline or sub the big top. They'd be halfway down Garden at best. Maybe headline the Tipi. Might be Simon Raymonde + guests but they're not a big or well-known band by any measure.

Edited by WM Hall

All the sort of End Of The Road/ Green Man bands are here early summer for Prima/APE etc so really narrows down or widens depending on your view who is actually available late august early september. Courtney Barnett is doing several europe/uk things in late may/early June so I doubt she will be back for late august, same with St Vincent and Beck. The only outliers to this theory are Grizzly Bear, War on drugs and Fleet Foxes who all appear to be doing europe all summer but as we know they're all at green man

42 minutes ago, WM Hall said:

Lost Horizons wouldn't even headline or sub the big top. They'd be halfway down Garden at best. Maybe headline the Tipi. Might be Simon Raymonde + guests but they're not a big or well-known band by any measure.

...but then who would have thought the Gene Clark No Other band thing would be a garden headliner?

I think Mercury Rev is a really good shout, and would be pleased with that. I could see them as Woods headliner. And yes please to Flatworms! Idles in the Big Top would be superb too.

15 hours ago, RustySpanner said:

Just got to add Ezra and St Vincent for the laziest headliner bookings ever

When you say Ezra, is that Furman? If so I would say he would be a very underwhelming headliner given that last year's acts could sell out venues 3x as big as his but he's still one hell of a live act personally - just not headliner material yet

43 minutes ago, RustySpanner said:

...but then who would have thought the Gene Clark No Other band thing would be a garden headliner?

I think Mercury Rev is a really good shout, and would be pleased with that. I could see them as Woods headliner. And yes please to Flatworms! Idles in the Big Top would be superb too.

Gene Clark No Other band was playing a collective of very well known artists performing a well-known album. Iz a lil different

Kamasi Washington is doing a UK tour and if both he and Thundercat turn up, then the chances of them appearing together would be high and that would be quite something

Deerhunter are back too and would be a cool sight to see on the line-up

Edited by finn_with_1_n

11 minutes ago, finn_with_1_n said:

When you say Ezra, is that Furman? If so I would say he would be a very underwhelming headliner given that last year's acts could sell out venues 3x as big as his but he's still one hell of a live act personally - just not headliner material yet

The same Ezra Furman who is playing Brixton Academy this year. Selling out Brixton is a different story though, I grant you. But it's fair to say his stock has risen enough that he potentially be a Woods Stage headliner. Don't forget that Animal Collective, JAMC and Bat For Lashes have headlined in recent years. Nobody would peg them as big enough to sell out a venue of that size either.

Sometimes I don't think it matters too much whether they have the mainstream appeal. An EOTR crowd is a more discerning audience, and will generally welcome a headliner if their show warrants it. Ezra's probably does but it only seems lazy because he's played a fair amount in recent years

41 minutes ago, eagles69 said:

From the list Phoebe Bridgers and Idles are definite also Nervous Conditions ( played EOTR shindig).

Long shots Feist and Big Thief . I want Kendrick Lamar and Thundercat to spice things up a bit

Nervous Conditions won't play. Not with recent allegations hanging over the lead singer.

52 minutes ago, eagles69 said:

From the list Phoebe Bridgers and Idles are definite also Nervous Conditions ( played EOTR shindig).

Long shots Feist and Big Thief . I want Kendrick Lamar and Thundercat to spice things up a bit

Why would Big Thief be long shots? Is there a clash on somewhere? Was really hoping they would be on the bill somewhere.

19 minutes ago, shoebox said:

The same Ezra Furman who is playing Brixton Academy this year

That is very true. I'm a big fan of his, having seen him live three times before and the argument about Bat For Lashes is a strong one. If he were to headline, I wouldn't mind at all, just compared to last year's headliners he is considerably smaller. tbf if Ezra Furman was ever going to headline a festival, it would be EOTR

2 minutes ago, finn_with_1_n said:

That is very true. I'm a big fan of his, having seen him live three times before and the argument about Bat For Lashes is a strong one. If he were to headline, I wouldn't mind at all, just compared to last year's headliners he is considerably smaller. tbf if Ezra Furman was ever going to headline a festival, it would be EOTR

If they carry on with the Thursday night headliner after The Shins and Slowdive i could see that being suitable for Ezra. If not then probably subbing the main stage on another night is the most likely.

I'm still clinging to the hope that The Decemberists have held back their european tour dates to wait on the EOTR announcement!

Other than that i think First Aid Kit have a good chance of headlining, Death Cab have a new album coming out but maybe not quite headliner material now? Nick Cave or Beck would be amazing but can't see either somehow.

Further down the bill the likes of Big Thief, Jay Som, Japanese Breakfast, Sandy Alex G, Phoebe Bridgers, Soccer Mommy, Withered Hand, Moon Duo, Lucy Dacus, Kelley Stoltz, This Is the Kit, Destroyer, Weather Station, Curtis Harding are all distinct possibilities and i would be delighted with more than a handful of those announced.

Deerhunter would be a great Garden Stage headliner