Open'er 2018

gregory

Thinking/dreaming for Friday/Saturday;

Justice * Anderson .Paak
Gorillaz Bruno Mars
Editors Dawid Podsiadło
Kaleo Franz Ferdinand

Plausible, but prepared for random shit-hip-hop.

*La Femme (on Friday) is meant to be part of a French theme...

Edited by gregory
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, gregory said:

Justice * Anderson .Paak
Gorillaz Bruno Mars
Editors Dawid Podsiadło
Kaleo Franz Ferdinand

Yea i think Franz Ferdinand is very possible and it would be great. I'm counting also on Alice in Chains or anything more guitar plays.

15 hours ago, gregory said:

Justice * Anderson .Paak
Gorillaz Bruno Mars
Editors Dawid Podsiadło
Kaleo Franz Ferdinand

Editors are playing two shows this week in Poland, that's why I doubt they will play Open'er. But if they do, these two shows may be the reason why we're waiting for the next announcement so long.

Justice and Anderson .Paak would be nice additions, I also hope for Leon Bridges, he has a perfect gap in his schedule:
JUL 4, 2018 Huxleys Neue Welt Berlin, Germany
JUL 11, 2018 Festival Jardins Pedralbes Barcelona, Spain

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, mln said:

Editors are playing two shows this week in Poland, that's why I doubt they will play Open'er. But if they do, these two shows may be the reason why we're waiting for the next announcement so long.

Yeah that would make sense, they play Wed/Thur this week so we could get an announcement on Friday.

Justice and Anderson .Paak would be perfect for a post-midnight slot IMO and probably not too expensive. They would really elevate the lineup for me, so fingers crossed. Also hoping for Wolf Alice and Everything Everything for the last couple of tent slots. 

Is it normal to be waiting this long? I've only been in 2016 and 2009 and don't remember there being so few announcements by April. I thought maybe because they're probably paying less than other festivals for the bands, that they have to wait but why would it be this long after other festivals?

It's the same almost every year. There were even editions when they announced headliners in April or May (Prince in 2011, Jack White and Faith No More in 2014).

Roskilde is announcing its full line-up tomorrow. Hopefully, we will get some names this week too.

Edited by mln

3 minutes ago, gregory said:

Anderson .Paak busy on Fri/Saturday now, so he can be written off pretty much :( 

Open'er is so shit compared to RW and Roskilde this year IMO (so far). About half of the acts only have only released 1 album, where's all the established acts at?

I can see a place for Anderson .Paak on Wednesday (Tent Stage).

Yeah, that's true, but we're still missing around 10 names. Wednesday and Thursday are pretty good. Saturday is terrible, just like every year.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, rummy said:

There are so many decent acts around Europe that week. Surely someone's got to turn up!

There's still a few acts that feature on that Gorillaz album whichhaven't been announced for Open'er yet :P 

But yeah, you're right, so much good stuff, it's annoying how little of it is at Open'er. I like Superorganism but they are playing 8 songs on their headline tour, is that worth a festival slot? Don't get me started on Migos...

5 minutes ago, rummy said:

There are so many decent acts around Europe that week. Surely someone's got to turn up!

That's exactly what I'm thinking! Hopefully, they won't spoil it by bringing some one-album acts, jusst like gregory said.

Just now, gregory said:

There's still a few acts that feature on that Gorillaz album whichhaven't been announced for Open'er yet :P 

But yeah, you're right, so much good stuff, it's annoying how little of it is at Open'er. I like Superorganism but they are playing 8 songs on their headline tour, is that worth a festival slot? Don't get me started on Migos...

I can see Superorganism playing Alter Stage at, let's say, 4:00 p.m, that would save some space for better acts.

Yeah, announcing Migos was one of the worst things that could've happened.

2 minutes ago, gregory said:

3 weeks today since the last announcement. If nothing is announced today, I predict we get an announcement tomorrow which includes Editors. But what do I know.

The thing with Editors is that their two shows have been sold out for some time now (I checked it only after my last post about them), so there were no obstacles to announce them earlier. Having said that, I really hope we will get something this week.

15 minutes ago, mln said:

The thing with Editors is that their two shows have been sold out for some time now (I checked it only after my last post about them), so there were no obstacles to announce them earlier. Having said that, I really hope we will get something this week.

Yes, but tomorrow Open'er have the right to say "Fresh from playing two sold out shows in Poland, we can announce Editors will be returning in July!" blah blah blah. I think they might be too big to be announced this late anyway, European people love Editors for some reason :D

I am also hungry for new names, the lineup does very little for me so far (but everything is booked and the Ale tent is good so...)

4 minutes ago, gregory said:

Yes, but tomorrow Open'er have the right to say "Fresh from playing two sold out shows in Poland, we can announce Editors will be returning in July!" blah blah blah. I think they might be too big to be announced this late anyway, European people love Editors for some reason :D

I am also hungry for new names, the lineup does very little for me so far (but everything is booked and the Ale tent is good so...)

It's definitely not too late, especially for Open'er. They announced the likes of Prince, Jack White or Faith no More even later :D

17 minutes ago, ParanoidTourist said:

Yep its time for an announcement! The National at Roskilde has made me hoping for them at Opener. They are free to play on the 4th or the 6th.

I can't see The National on Roskilde line-up. Probably you meant Interpol as they are free on 4th and 6th? :) Anyway, it would be great to have both of them.

Edited by mln
  • Upvote 1

Bad news, Young Thug is Mainstage on Friday :( , Alma on Alter Stage Thurs. 

The good news, 2 of them are on Tent Stage on Fri, so that now looks like 

PRO8L3M
La Femme
Vince Staples
Kali Uchis (?)
Sigrid

That still leaves tons of tent stage gaps on Wed & Thurs, hopefully they get filled. No way Sigrid should be in Tent stage, does she even have an album out? 

Edited by gregory