Open'er 2018

gregory

Where are the big bands this year?!

Anyway, a few of these are on Alter which is good news as last year Alter had very few international acts, and this year has 2 per day (so far); Dead Cross   Superorganism  Young Fathers   Yonaka   Little Simz     Marmozets    SEVDALIZA    Bomba Estereo    

Also means lots of empty main stage / tent stage slots to fill :) 

Edited by gregory

Yeah, alter stage looks quite nice so far. We need 1-2 acts on main stage on Friday and 2-3 on Saturday. Hopefully, they will speed up with announcements.

Maybe we will get something more (probably one bigger act) at 12:00?

Edited by mln

FYI, this is what we've got so far

Wednes 4 Thurs 5 Friday 6 Saturday 7
Main Stage
Nick Cave 

Massiive Attack

?

?
Arctic Monkeys Depeche Mode Gorillaz Bruno Mars
Migos ? ?
? ? Kaleo Dawid Podsiadło
? ? ? ?

Tent Stage
? ? Vince Staples Odesza
Fleet Foxes David Byrne La Femme Glass Animals
? Kali Uchis ? Years & Years
? ? ? ?
? ? ? ?

Alter Stage
Dead Cross Young Fathers Little Simz ?
Superorganism Yonaka Marmozets SEVDALIZA?
? ? ? Bomba Estereo
? ? ? ?
? ? ? ?

• Upvote 2

Good job! On Wednesday and Thursday main stage is full (only some Polish acts probably). Looks like Alter stage also lacks only some Polish names.

Also, it's nice that we have 3 international acts on Tent Stage on Saturday. If they will follow this, it means we lack 3-4 names on Main Stage and 4 names on Tent Stage.

Edited by mln

6 minutes ago, mln said:

Good job! On Wednesday and Thursday main stage is full (only some Polish acts probably). Looks like Alter stage also lacks only some Polish names.

I'm hoping the fact the headliners will play 90 mins (and not 2+ hours like RH and FF) will mean we get 5 acts per day on Wed and Thur this year, and they'll be 2 extra great international bands ...I can dream. But yeah either way, main is getting full - 12 acts last year and we're on 9 already. Still room for some of that good shit at Wertcher and Roskilde I hope...

Agree with Alter, last year we only had 5 internationals total (?) so we're already over that

Edited by gregory

1 minute ago, gregory said:

I'm hoping the fact the headliners will play 90 mins (and not 2+ hours like RH and FF) will mean we get 5 acts per day on Wed and Thur this year, and they'll be 2 extra great international bands ...I can dream. But yeah either way, main is getting full - 12 acts last year and we're on 9 already. Still room for some of that good shit at Wertcher and Roskilde I hope...

Agree with Alter, last year we only had 5 internationals total (?) so we're already over that

I'm dreaming about 02:00 slots, like in 2015 (e.g. Faithless).

28 minutes ago, mln said:

I'm dreaming about 02:00 slots, like in 2015 (e.g. Faithless).

Dang yeah, that year went 6-a-day main on Thurs/Fri (finishing at 03:30 each night)! 

Thursday: Marmozets -> Tom Odell  -> Enter Shikari  -> The Libertines  -> Major Lazer  -> Faithless
Friday: Rebel Babel Ensemble -> The Vaccines -> Of Monsters And Men -> Mumford & Sons -> D'Angelo & The Vanguard -> The Prodigy

Not a big fan of any of those, but like the quantity lol

Edited by gregory

4 minutes ago, gregory said:

Dang yeah, that year went 6-a-day main on Thurs/Fri ! 

Thursday: Marmozets -> Tom Odell  -> Enter Shikari  -> The Libertines  -> Major Lazer  -> Faithless
Friday: Rebel Babel Ensemble -> The Vaccines -> Of Monsters And Men -> Mumford & Sons -> D'Angelo & The Vanguard -> The Prodigy

Not a big fan of any of those, but like the quantity lol

Faithless and D'Angelo were amazing, one of the best shows in my 8-year history of Open'er. But the headliners were rather weak that year (when you compare it to this year or 2017).

22 hours ago, gregory said:

FYI, this is what we've got so far

Wednes 4 Thurs 5 Friday 6 Saturday 7
Main Stage
Nick Cave 

Massiive Attack

?

?
Arctic Monkeys Depeche Mode Gorillaz Bruno Mars
Migos ? ?
? ? Kaleo Dawid Podsiadło
? ? ? ?

Tent Stage
? ? Vince Staples Odesza
Fleet Foxes David Byrne La Femme Glass Animals
? Kali Uchis ? Years & Years
? ? ? ?
? ? ? ?

Alter Stage
Dead Cross Young Fathers Little Simz ?
Superorganism Yonaka Marmozets SEVDALIZA?
? ? ? Bomba Estereo
? ? ? ?
? ? ? ?

I've just noticed that Kali Uchis is playing Rock Werchter on Thursday (5th July), so I guess there's a mistake on Open'er website and she will be moved to Friday, like other Gorillaz-related artists :) It means that tent stage is full on both Friday and Saturday.

Edited by mln

2 minutes ago, mln said:

I've just noticed that Kali Uchis is playing Rock Werchter on Thursday (5th July), so I guess there's a mistake on Open'er website and she will be moved to Friday, like other Gorillaz-related artists :)

I always thought it was a bit strange she wasn't on Gorillaz day. That would make 4/7 acts from Gorillaz-land that day (so far). 

Also Years & Years and SEVDALIZA were initially listed as playing Saturday but the day has since been removed. 

8 minutes ago, gregory said:

I always thought it was a bit strange she wasn't on Gorillaz day. That would make 4/7 acts from Gorillaz-land that day (so far). 

Also Years & Years and SEVDALIZA were initially listed as playing Saturday but the day has since been removed. 

Yeah, that's true. It seems they've got quite a mess out there. I think RW announced its line up one week ago and Open'er hasn't yet revised that.

Seems like Thursday for Open'er is like Friday for Rock Werchter. So, can we expect some names today?
My wishlist of acts who are touring around Open'er: Soulwax, Leon Bridges, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Rival Sons, Durand Jones And The Indications, and maybe some 'older' stuff like Nile Rodgers or Iggy Pop?

40 minutes ago, mln said:

Seems like Thursday for Open'er is like Friday for Rock Werchter. So, can we expect some names today?
My wishlist of acts who are touring around Open'er: Soulwax, Leon Bridges, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Rival Sons, Durand Jones And The Indications, and maybe some 'older' stuff like Nile Rodgers or Iggy Pop?

I actually think Openers Thursday is way better than Werchters Friday given that we have Massive Attack and DM instead of the Killers et al..;)

Would love some more names though. I'm still holding out hope for Interpol. I'n general, more rock wouldn't hurt Openers Saturday imo

7 minutes ago, ParanoidTourist said:

I actually think Openers Thursday is way better than Werchters Friday given that we have Massive Attack and DM instead of the Killers et al..;)

Would love some more names though. I'm still holding out hope for Interpol. I'n general, more rock wouldn't hurt Openers Saturday imo

With this Thursday-Friday thing I was thinking about announcements, not days in line-up :D I agree, some more rock would be great.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, mln said:

With this Thursday-Friday thing I was thinking about announcements, not days in line-up :D I agree, some more rock would be great.

You're right, 

• Mon 29/01 AM
  • Thu 01/02 Migos
  • Fri 02/02 Nick Cave
  • Fri 16/02 5 acts
  • Thu 08/03 David Whatshisname
  • Thu 15/03 6 acts

So yeah hopefully more today, lineup is still quite empty with 100 days to go. I'm realising there is very little on the lineup that I'm excited about so I hope that changes soon (especially with so many great bands in the area that week)

Edited by gregory
  • Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, ParanoidTourist said:

Some random band's that still have a schedule gap during the Opener weekend: Interpol, Goldfrapp, Liam Gallagher, Alice in Chains and Robert Plant (perhaps unlikely)

All of the above would be great additions, but I really doubt about Robert Plant and Alice in Chains. The rest is possible, but I'm afraid that there is enough space only for 1-2 names as big as Interpol or Liam Gallagher. It'd be amazing to get ANY names...

30 minutes ago, mln said:

All of the above would be great additions, but I really doubt about Robert Plant and Alice in Chains. The rest is possible, but I'm afraid that there is enough space only for 1-2 names as big as Interpol or Liam Gallagher. It'd be amazing to get ANY names...

Yeah, I also fear that there will only be room for a handful more semi-big names.

Anyway, also hoping for any names (particularly names I've heard about before). Although I just listened to Marmozets (announced about a week ago) and thought they were great=)

Edited by ParanoidTourist

32 minutes ago, ParanoidTourist said:

Just noticed Wolf Alice still have a gap in their touring schedule between the 30th of June and the 6th of July (when they play Rock Werchter). Could be a nice contender for Opener since WA sometimes even play 3 dates in a row. 

I've been expecting them to show up & hope they do, in a slot like Warpaint last year

Was just looking to try and see which Polish acts might be added this year and came across this list of Famous Bands from Poland,   https://www.ranker.com/list/bands-from-poland/referencehttps://www.ranker.com/list/bands-from-poland/reference

Personally, from that list I'm hoping for Frédéric Chopin, Pope John Paul II and Roman Polanski. 

33 minutes ago, gregory said:

Was just looking to try and see which Polish acts might be added this year and came across this list of Famous Bands from Poland,   https://www.ranker.com/list/bands-from-poland/referencehttps://www.ranker.com/list/bands-from-poland/reference

Personally, from that list I'm hoping for Frédéric Chopin, Pope John Paul II and Roman Polanski. 

Oh my... this list is so ridiculous. BTW, if you're intrested, possible Polish acts for this year are e.g. Mikromusic, Fisz Emade Tworzywo, Terrific Sunday, Bass astral x Igo, Taconafide, Miuosh, Daria Zawiałow, Kortez.

Will we get any new names today? It's been 2 weeks since the last announcement and it's almost April...