Top 5 Performances 2017

eagles69

WH Lung ... massive shout out to whoever it was who flagged them up on here...they were brilliant.

Courtney Marie Andrews...swoon. loved last year's album anyway but was even better live, such a strong voice and a beautiful person generally.

Slowdive... fantastic start to the proceedings

Timber Timbre...the only band to really cut through the gloom of rainy Sunday for me.

They were the four that really stood out for me... perhaps less really amazing shows this year but lots of really good.

Julie Byrne the biggest disappointment...how to lose a big crowd

Top 6 for me in no particular order, because just 5 was too hard:

Jens Lekman - Already seen him a bunch of times but he never fails to disappoint, pure joy from start to finish. The stuff off the new album sounded a lot tighter than it did when I saw him at Oval Space back in March.

Vaudou Game - Biggest dance of the weekend, the conga line through the crowd was just brilliant. Peter Solo is a vaudou God! The perfect way to start off a Sunday that was musically by far the strongest of the three days, despite the shitty weather.

Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever - I’m pretty obsessed with the Go-Betweens/jangle pop/Flying Nun vibe so no surprises that this made my list. Sounded a bit muddy on the Woods Stage in the afternoon but they got the balance just right in the Tipi last night. Had my biggest singalongs of the weekend for Wither With You and Sick Bug.

Bill Callahan - So damn beautiful, the man’s got a voice like velvet. Finally got to hear one of my favourite songs ever (Jim Cain) performed live, and Drover was just phenomenal.

W. H. Lung - Probably the best new band I have seen/heard all year. Hard to believe they are already this good with just one single and a handful of festival shows under their belt. The frontman is electric, really reminds me of a young David Byrne.

Amadou & Mariam - 9 years since I last caught them at Latitude, which was one of the best sets I’ve ever seen. This performance didn’t quite reach those heights (mainly due to the sound issues at the start - way too much bass) but they brought it home triumphantly. Showed everyone why they are known as the magic couple.

The only real disappointment was Father John Misty, who bored me to tears after a decent first half an hour and made me really regret not going to see Ty Segall. I like Pure Comedy but I guess the first two albums just aren’t for me. Just sounds like a poor man’s John Grant.

Another excellent year overall, up there with the best EOTRs I’ve been to.

16 minutes ago, domjon said:

Yeah I know but the show must go on...

Seemed a few sound problems on the garden stage this year tbh...timber timbre and perfume genius had a few issues too

Didn't really notice anything for Timber Timbre, sounded fine to me! I thought the Woods was worse, especially during Slowdive when it was horrendously bassy and the kick drum was way too loud.

Chickened out and headed for the hills Sunday morning, but top 5 from the sunny days: 

Aaron Lee Tasjan, lovely music and a bit of a card

Daniel Romano: cooler and more energetic than I expected.

Courtney Marie Andrews: just bloody wonderful, and shit hot guitarist who looked like the nutty kid from Stand By Me

Lucinda Williams: powerful, punchy.

Car Seat Headrest. if only for the blow up fish. Great fun.

Another great festival, and even though i saw less music this year, still difficult to narrow down to just 5 (especially as there were some storming late night Tipi sessions to add to the mix). Gutted to miss Bill C and J&MC as I chickened out of sitting in rain, but as of now:

Bo Ningen -  mental, so much fun

Lucinda Williams - such a pro, nailed it 

Waxahatchee (Tipi) - gets better each time i see her

Xylouris White - just 2 people making some of the most sublime sound out there

Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever  (Tipi) - wow, blew me away in the early hours of Monday morning

Futur Primitif, Tootard, Moonlandingz, Parquet Court and Courtney Marie Andrews just outside top 5

Another fine year, again got the feeling that I was missing as many great bands as I was seeing ... but gotta eat and meet friends !!

I loved Saturday's Woods stage sequence of Alvvays - Band of Horses - FJM. Sound is great if there is no wind and you're dead centre and near sound desk. Given up going to front, at least on Woods stage. There is no longer much of a correlation with quieter fans being at the front IMO. 

Perfume genius was scintillating in  the rain, Timbre Timbre were a warm and fuzzy treat with a hangover, IDER were brilliant as was Kelly Lee Owens. 

Pond were on top form, shame Japandroids set seemed to come out of an iPhone speaker....someone please tell me there was something wrong there!!

Aha, psbros, that's a great tip for next year to be near the sound desk at Woods - the front was scattered with drunk idiots for too many sets.

And yes, Japandroids was hilariously quiet. I think at least one of the main speakers was down. Bit poor that no one seemed to at least attempt to do something about it.

1) Jens Lekman [That cover of Boyz To Men - End Of The Road was the MOMENT of the festival for me, this is how you do  niche ironic covers MDM, take note, you don't just auto pilot and  pad your sets with them]

2) Blanck Mass [The sound was incredible, which is one of the main reasons you want to see Electronic acts live... to hear them on a fuck off huge soundsystem you don't have access to at home, also the visuals were incredible]

=2) Jesus Mary Chain [I had no expectations, they owned the stage with a seemingly endless barrage of choons]

3) Vauodou Game [This is how you make the  best of a bad situation, horrible weather and a hungover crowd at 12pm, yet still manage to get a very big conga line and a field dancing? Well done guy]

4) Bo Ningen [Intense, still sore from the mosh pit, fantastic way to end the first night... even though one parent thought it'd be a good idea to have their 2 VERY SMALL children right up the front for that gig {what the fuck, seriously, don't do that... I don't care how much of a human shield you try to be... they looked terrified]

5) IDER [Simple, effective, beautiful vocals. Their sheer joy at getting an overwhelmingly positive reaction from the crowd was beautiful.

Yes it's 6, dont care,  these 6 all deserve to be in my top 5 :3

Edited by Yesiamaduck

My top 5 this year were.

1. Jesus & Mary Chain - wasn't particularly looking forward to seeing them but right from the start they blew me away absolutely phenomenal performance  perfect sound possibly the best I've ever seen at the festival.

2. Nadine Shah - saw her a couple of years ago had some sound issues so was not too impressed but this year good sound big improvement stronger material exceeded all expectations!

3. Mac DeMarco - Missed him last time but decided to see him instead of Lucinda as I preferred his new album to hers. I love his sound there was a great atmosphere I loved it until the strange ending which I didn't love.

4. Pixx - Love the look love the sound love the fact we share having the same favourite Joe Jackson track!

5. The Moonlandingz - A great start to the festival a glorious glamfest mess that put a smile on your face.

Also kudos to a majestically reformed Slowdive, the spikey pop of OMNI and Ultimate Painting who I didn't see enough of.

Edited by siro
Spelling

39 minutes ago, Yesiamaduck said:

1) Jens Lekman [That cover of Boyz To Men - End Of The Road was the MOMENT of the festival for me, this is how you do  niche ironic covers MDM, take note, you don't just auto pilot and  pad your sets with them]

2) Blanck Mass [The sound was incredible, which is one of the main reasons you want to see Electronic acts live... to hear them on a fuck off huge soundsystem you don't have access to at home, also the visuals were incredible]

=2) Jesus Mary Chain [I had no expectations, they owned the stage with a seemingly endless barrage of choons]

3) Vauodou Game [This is how you make the  best of a bad situation, horrible weather and a hungover crowd at 12pm, yet still manage to get a very big conga line and a field dancing? Well done guy]

4) Bo Ningen [Intense, still sore from the mosh pit, fantastic way to end the first night... even though one parent thought it'd be a good idea to have their 2 VERY SMALL children right up the front for that gig {what the fuck, seriously, don't do that... I don't care how much of a human shield you try to be... they looked terrified]

5) IDER [Simple, effective, beautiful vocals. Their sheer joy at getting an overwhelmingly positive reaction from the crowd was beautiful.

Yes it's 6, dont care,  these 6 all deserve to be in my top 5 :3

IDER were astonishingly good - betted than on record, which is saying something

56 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Aha, psbros, that's a great tip for next year to be near the sound desk at Woods - the front was scattered with drunk idiots for too many sets.

And yes, Japandroids was hilariously quiet. I think at least one of the main speakers was down. Bit poor that no one seemed to at least attempt to do something about it.

Japandroids with as good a sound set-up as Pond or Blanck Mass would have absolutely kicked ass. Now I'll have to see them again after that ...

W H Lung without a doubt. Absolutely loved them. Great sounds, great moves by the singer. I was grinning and singing and dancing from the word go.

Lowly - sublime despite a few technical issues at the start.

J. Bernardt - a groovy, fast paced set that got the crowd moving early on

The Spook School - a joyous set, had me laughing and bopping about despite it pissing down outside and the Tipi being overcrowded with people sat down for the duration - but that's another topic

Nadine Shah - suberb. What a voice and I love her attitude.

special mention: for J&MC - was not expecting such a good sound.

Car Seat Headrest - I had built them up a lot and that left me a little disappointed but they certainly

had us all singing along.

Also for their love of music and the joy in their performances - Tootard and Vaudo Game - thank you.

Edit - I forgot RBCF and Ultimate Painting -  we should have had a top ten for this!!

Edited by juliadevitt