Victorious Festival 2018

seanz25

On 8/7/2018 at 8:06 PM, Tommy101 said:

you're best off going into Southsea, there'll be plenty going on until a lot later than the festival.

Main options are

Palmerston Road/Osbourne road which are really near the site. Quite a few options from Lord Palmerston which is a Spoons to places like Croxtons or Meat and Barrel which are nice independent fancy beer pubs (I'd go for the latter). Pro: Very close nearby, Con: will be extremely busy. There's also a gimmicky vodka bar called Hong Kong Charlies (HKC) that is alright for a laugh but probably wouldn't want to stay in there for too long.

Other option for pubs/bars is Albert road, don't bother with a taxi, you'll be walking for less time than you will wait for one. Maybe 10/15 min walk - there will be thousands of people heading down there too. Big variety of pubs down here I'd recommend Lord John Russel which will have a DJ on until late, if you want something a little more laid back the Wine Vaults or Porters might be open late. Oh and the Fat Fox will be open with a DJ in one room and a more traditional pub in the other but will obv be the music playing. It'll still be busy enough as most of Portsmouth/Southsea will be heading down there.

Alternatively there is a club and some expensive pubs/bard open in Gunwarf but I haven't been down there in years so can't really comment. I'd avoid Guilhall walk like the plague.

Quite a decent bit of nightlife about, if none of the above float your boat let me know what you're after and I'll be happy to have a think.

If it's still there the Atrium above Fat Fox would be worth go too, cool little cocktail bar, One eyed dog deserves a mention also! (all these places are all within about 100 yards of each other)

8 hours ago, Tyonks said:

If it's still there the Atrium above Fat Fox would be worth go too, cool little cocktail bar, One eyed dog deserves a mention also! (all these places are all within about 100 yards of each other)

Both fair shouts, One Eyed Dog will be rammed (in a good way) until late close. Atrium was still open a couple of months ago so have no reason to think it's not now. That stair case can be lethal after a few Godfathers.

I'd recommend getting down to the front, there will be a lot of casuals milling about and chatting but less so the further forward you go if past experience is anything to go by. 

That said last year Friday seemed to me to be dominated by people who were there just to see Madness (who were headlining) so you might be alright.

I swear I've had most of my "life flashing before my eyes" moments on the Atrium stairs wearing heels. That and falling down the Popworld stairs :ph34r:

There's a new PR person looking after the festival this year and they've rejected a lot of the press requests from family bloggers who came in the past. Definitely think they're trying to steer towards an older vibe this year. Almost certainly pressure from PCC after what happened earlier in the year. 

Edited by Smigglepiggle

On 8/17/2018 at 5:13 PM, Smigglepiggle said:

I swear I've had most of my "life flashing before my eyes" moments on the Atrium stairs wearing heels. That and falling down the Popworld stairs :ph34r:

There's a new PR person looking after the festival this year and they've rejected a lot of the press requests from family bloggers who came in the past. Definitely think they're trying to steer towards an older vibe this year. Almost certainly pressure from PCC after what happened earlier in the year. 

The problem is, its not families, its teenagers, they came in on cheap tickets, don't spend any money onsite and were generally a pain in the ass, fighting each other and getting bad PR for the festival [that lad who got threw out and was all over social media] Adults give the festival their big turnover in beer money. Families come in and they're buying food for whole family and families might travel and make a holiday of it, money into the local area, its all good. The local teenagers do fuck all for the festival. Last year the teens were coming in, in mass on their own when its meant to be with 18's over only. Now they've raised teens to adult prices, im wondering how it will affect the numbers, I also hope as its more expensive they might respect the festival more and stop acting like utter pricks like last year. It will also be interesting to see if they stop them coming in without an adult. 

Interesting that, historically I think there's been WAY more alcohol related issues than drug related ones at Victorious. Like you say probably the Mutiny effect. It won't impact me directly but I think it does knock the atmosphere a bit, I remember my first IOW seemed to have dogs everywhere all weekend and even though I was just drinking it felt a bit Big Brother is watching....

EDIT: I'm sure this wasn't the choice of Victorious and if it is dogs or no festival I'd choose dogs, even though people being scared to take in their own drugs then buying unknown substances on sight appears to be part of the problem but there's probably no need to get into that argument which has already been had hundreds of times on this forum.

Edited by Tommy101

There’s been a huge surge this week in travellers turning up. Wonder if it’s related? 

From what  I gather from a the News, they’ve mostly been moved on. 

The teenage age element will be interesting to see. I wasn’t there last year but had noticed a few groups of local teens getting rowdy in years past. 

1 hour ago, Mattymooz said:

Any reccomendations for the Sunday. I'm going for The Prodigy, The Amazons and Friendly Fires but other than that dont really recognise too many of the other names. I'll check out Genghar and Stereo Honey as I've heard good things, anyone else I'm missing out on?

Gomez and Dub Pistols earlier on. Very different but should both be good. 

On 8/20/2018 at 10:38 PM, Mattymooz said:

Any reccomendations for the Sunday. I'm going for The Prodigy, The Amazons and Friendly Fires but other than that dont really recognise too many of the other names. I'll check out Genghar and Stereo Honey as I've heard good things, anyone else I'm missing out on?

Also wonder's tip fits your schedule, not for me personally but I can appreciate she's good at what she does:

On 8/16/2018 at 10:37 PM, the wonderwhy said:

Definitely check out Fenne Lily if nobody else takes yer fancy. She's put out one of the best albums this year 

I don't think there's been too much chat about either to be honest.

I'd imagine about £5/£5.50 a pint but don't know for sure.

Rock n Sole are a proper all year round chippy so don't imagine they'd cut portion sizes. They might put a bit of 'festival tax' on top of prices but haven't been in there during the festival. The last few years the food choice has been pretty decent on site. I'd say it's not worth leaving the sight for a chippy to be honest!

• Upvote 1

On 8/17/2018 at 5:13 PM, Smigglepiggle said:

PR people have been in place from last year and rejections on a lot of the family types/local community types started last year. I was one of them :(

4 hours ago, seanz25 said:

PR people have been in place from last year and rejections on a lot of the family types/local community types started last year. I was one of them :(

Aww that sucks! ? 

I wonder what the criteria changed to? Do you have a blog or publication? Would love to read more local writers stuff!

Getting excited bow. The site looked fab when I went last yesterday. I’ve got a ticket for tomorrow but not overly fussed by the line up. May just get my bearings of the site ready for Saturday and Sunday. I’m SO excited about Prodigy!

Hi everyone

3 of us are heading down to Victorious and Portsmouth for the first time from Chester, mainly to see the mighty Prodigy for the umpteenth time. We are staying in a hotel in Fareham. 

I have a couple of questions if anyone can help: 

1. How long will it take to walk from Portsmouth station to the site?

2. How long does it take to get from the second stage to the Common stage (clashfinder decisions!!)?

3. Any recommendations for 3 middle aged Prodigy fans for after the festival on Sunday night (indie/dance night etc)? 

4. Finally the likely cost of a taxi back to Fareham on late Sunday night?

Cant wait !! 

Thanks 

I can’t try and answer a few of these. 

1.  Depends on the station I’d say Portsmouth & Southsea or fratton are probably the closest(?) and about a good 20 minutes walk. 

2. It’s not far but it’ll be busy. There’s also a few trees and buildings in the way. I’d allow 15 mind or so personally. 

3. I think Lord John Russel on Albert Road would be a good bet. Palmerston Road will have a lot going on too as is right nearby. Times like this make miss Scandals (RIP). 

4. Sadly, probably a lot, Aqua will be rammed and Uber too. You could prebook but likely to require missing out on some random fun. There can be a few “discrepancies” in charging driver to driver. I’ve travelled from Southsea to Drayton and it’s cost £30. Add to that if it gets past 12 it’ll be Bank Holiday surcharge. Maybe ... £50. Probably not so much but there’s a lot of extras that could mount up. 

Youll love it though!

Edited by Smigglepiggle

15 hours ago, Smigglepiggle said:

Aww that sucks! ? 

I wonder what the criteria changed to? Do you have a blog or publication? Would love to read more local writers stuff!

Getting excited bow. The site looked fab when I went last yesterday. I’ve got a ticket for tomorrow but not overly fussed by the line up. May just get my bearings of the site ready for Saturday and Sunday. I’m SO excited about Prodigy!

I run a music blog and have received press passes in previous years. Got rejected this year.

On 8/20/2018 at 10:38 PM, Mattymooz said:

If you're watching Stereo Honey I'd recommend Jerry Williams  and The Orielles who are on immediately after on the same stage - both different types of indie pop.

Also check out Lilly Moore on the Acoustic Stage if you like anything like Amy Winehouse / Adele - super talented

10 hours ago, BananaFudgeCake said:

Hi everyone

3 of us are heading down to Victorious and Portsmouth for the first time from Chester, mainly to see the mighty Prodigy for the umpteenth time. We are staying in a hotel in Fareham. 

I have a couple of questions if anyone can help: 

1. How long will it take to walk from Portsmouth station to the site?

2. How long does it take to get from the second stage to the Common stage (clashfinder decisions!!)?

3. Any recommendations for 3 middle aged Prodigy fans for after the festival on Sunday night (indie/dance night etc)? 

4. Finally the likely cost of a taxi back to Fareham on late Sunday night?

Cant wait !! 

Thanks 

1. it's about 2km from Portsmouth & Southsea to the part of the common where the main entrance normally is. There's pubs on the way but if you don't stop at any it really shouldn't take 30 mins. Depends on your walking pace I guess.

2. As it's been mentioned it's not far but between those two stages are the busiest part of the site so crowds are more of an issue than distance. Depending on where you are in the crowd it can be worth going the long way through the world area and past the acoustic rather than 'Market Way' which can get congested.

Map-2018_A3_v1-1024x724.jpg

3. Covered pretty well above, I also posted about a few other pubs last week if you go back a few pages.

4. I have heard horror stories about queuing for hours for a taxi from the festival site. I'd definitely recommend finding a suitable establishment to let it die down a bit. The local Aqua is probably your best bet for a cab - 02392 654321 but it can be a nightmare getting through to them at the best of times so don't expect anyone to pick up the first time you call.

Hope you have a good one.

Worth pointing out for those going tonight as I didn't realize, there's no re-admission for tonight. There is for Sat/Sun.

Someone's also done a wonderful job with the Clashfinder posting every stage up, well worth printing off;

https://clashfinder.com/s/victoriousfest2018

Edited by seanz25