Victorious Festival 2018

seanz25

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 9:53 AM, 3Dimensions said:

With the maps released it looks like there’s no Bustserfest replacement or new music stage at all, anyone else feel the lineup is underwhelming compared to the last few years?

Yeah, we've done the last 4 or 5 straight but this year we're giving it a miss. Some decent bands on for the money but nobody we feel its worth the trek down from Brum and spending a grand on a hotel for.  

On 8/13/2018 at 9:53 AM, 3Dimensions said:

With the maps released it looks like there’s no Bustserfest replacement or new music stage at all, anyone else feel the lineup is underwhelming compared to the last few years?

Butserfest Stage was funded a lot by grant money I believe and just got put in at Victorious rather than it getting cancelled altogether and if you went last year, there was fuck all people there all weekend. They won't fund that themselves if its not worth it. They've added the comedy stage this year as a replacement however. So at least thats something and as for new music thats spread throughout the line up anyway.

Gunna post the maps, just for future reference more than anything else.

So is it airing om Dave this year? plus I notice theres a Dominos Pizza onsite this year, remember it being at Download about 2010, was about £15 a pizza and they only did Plain or Pepperoni. Hope the Coke part is a freestyle machine again.  

Map-2018_A3_v1_FRIDAY-1024x724.jpg

Map-2018_A3_v1-1024x724.jpg

8 hours ago, luckysalt said:

Butserfest Stage was funded a lot by grant money I believe and just got put in at Victorious rather than it getting cancelled altogether and if you went last year, there was fuck all people there all weekend. They won't fund that themselves if its not worth it. They've added the comedy stage this year as a replacement however. So at least thats something and as for new music thats spread throughout the line up anyway.

I get the impression Butserfest were just using up the last of their funds.

On 8/8/2018 at 3:30 PM, eFestivals said:

I haven't been out in Pompey since I was 19 either, but I don't miss it. That would be in 1984. :lol:

Used to drink in the Jubilee Vaults when I lived in Southsea. Google Streetview tells me it's called 'The Coast' today (opposite the pier).

Bringing back the memories with mention of the Jubille Vaults! Couple of jars in there and then onto Nero's or Joanna's if feeling brave, 84-87 Good Times.

37 minutes ago, Harry49 said:

Bringing back the memories with mention of the Jubille Vaults! Couple of jars in there and then onto Nero's or Joanna's if feeling brave, 84-87 Good Times.

I managed to live in Southsea for 3 years without ever entering Nero's doors. I was a rawk kid, naff pop wasn't for me.

I can remember Neros, it was above an arcade a few doors west from Jubilee vaults. Don't remember Joannas, tho I remember there was another club a bit further along (which I also never went to); I'm guessing it was called something else back then.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

I managed to live in Southsea for 3 years without ever entering Nero's doors. I was a rawk kid, naff pop wasn't for me.

I can remember Neros, it was above an arcade a few doors west from Jubilee vaults. Don't remember Joannas, tho I remember there was another club a bit further along (which I also never went to); I'm guessing it was called something else back then.

You didnt go to Nero's or Joanna's for the music!! More the chance to be convivial with the opposite sex.:)

Stage times are up, I'll do the clash finder this afternoon when I'm in from work. Sunday times fit really nice for me. Bluetones finish on common then can go castle for Gengar, rev and makers, embrace, then back to common for friendly fires and prodigy. 

They've added some acts as well but nothing great, but common has an opener prior to the special guests each day as expected. Sadly no slow readers club it seems anywhere. 

On 8/14/2018 at 11:12 AM, davidfawcett said:

Personally for me the Saturday at Victorious is one of the strongest one day line ups anywhere.....................Catherine McGrath , Happy Mondays , Paloma Faith , Billy Bragg , Brian Wilson and Paul Weller

Funnily enough I think Sat is the weakest (of a good bunch) and think Sunday is the best with Friday being great value. Horses for courses I suppose.

6 hours ago, eFestivals said:

I get the impression Butserfest were just using up the last of their funds.

It was meant to be it's own festival on at roughly the same time but they had to cancel. I think they would have lost all sorts of money with bands and infrastructure already booked so they added it to Victorious and had a deal/honoured entrance for those who already had Butserfest tickets. The way I heard it, it was a win for both festivals, both sets of punters and the bands booked. Would explain why it might be a one off though. 

2 minutes ago, Tommy101 said:

It was meant to be it's own festival on at roughly the same time but they had to cancel.

the year they had a stage at Victorious I'm pretty sure they didn't plan to have their own festival.

I'm guessing here - but a non-profit concern, they'll have had to spend any unused funds on the sort of thing those funds were raised to do - and doing a stage where someone else is picking up most of the costs would be a way to use up those funds.

39 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

the year they had a stage at Victorious I'm pretty sure they didn't plan to have their own festival.

I've done some digging and you might be right actually. I should see the person that told me the above in the next few weeks. I'll see if I can get any more info/jog any memories.

Im just doing the clashfinder update, Common and Castle are complete, infact I had to do very little to the times I already had up, some days were completely unchanged. Anyway Im on the Acoustic stage now and just saw Joe Hendry, is this Joe Hendry the Scottish wrestler who wrestles on WOS and Impact amongest others???? Ive tweeted him to see if it is, sadly he clashes with Gomez if it is him.

EDIT - he replied on twitter its not him. Then did an Eminem gag.

Edited by luckysalt
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 8/14/2018 at 11:12 AM, davidfawcett said:

Personally for me the Saturday at Victorious is one of the strongest one day line ups anywhere.....................Catherine McGrath , Happy Mondays , Paloma Faith , Billy Bragg , Brian Wilson and Paul Weller

Afraid to say it appears Catherine McGrath has cancelled, just updating the clashfinder and she's no longer in the slot she was in before or even that stage, unless she's moved somewhere else and I haven't got to her yet.

Naan Breddaz is also removed from that stage as well, replacing them are Heir of the Dog and Billy Lockett replacing Catherine.

Edited by luckysalt

5 hours ago, luckysalt said:

Afraid to say it appears Catherine McGrath has cancelled, just updating the clashfinder and she's no longer in the slot she was in before or even that stage, unless she's moved somewhere else and I haven't got to her yet.

Naan Breddaz is also removed from that stage as well, replacing them are Heir of the Dog and Billy Lockett replacing Catherine.

1 minute ago, rseamer said:
5 hours ago, luckysalt said:

It’s probably because she has her own tour to promote and is playing The Wedgewood Rooms on Sept 14. So Victorious would be too close. 

6 hours ago, Tommy101 said:

I've done some digging and you might be right actually. I should see the person that told me the above in the next few weeks. I'll see if I can get any more info/jog any memories.

Buttserfest was funded by East Hants District Council.They made a loss on it every year but went ahead because it was something for the youth of the area. Then when they analysed ticket sales they found that most people buying didn’t even live in the East Hants area. So that combined with the massive cuts in local government funding meant the Council pulled the plug. Victorious picked it up last year but it clearly wasn’t a ticket seller - based on the fact there was hardly anyone watching the bands there - so that was the end of that. 

• Upvote 1

Finding the comments on the Victorious social media quite funny today. People complaining because the headliners in different stages clash LOL. It says quite a bit about a certain element of the Victorious crowd that have never been to a festival before.

38 minutes ago, rseamer said:

Finding the comments on the Victorious social media quite funny today. People complaining because the headliners in different stages clash LOL. It says quite a bit about a certain element of the Victorious crowd that have never been to a festival before.

After reading this, just had a quick look on their facebook, wow, seems people really had no idea how this festival malarkey works, did they think there was going to be 100's of acts all on one stage one after the other? 

If they knew about this site could have found out months ago where everyone was playing. 

BTW the clashfinder, ive done 8 stages now. Is anyone bothered about the ones I've not done?  

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, luckysalt said:

After reading this, just had a quick look on their facebook, wow, seems people really had no idea how this festival malarkey works, did they think there was going to be 100's of acts all on one stage one after the other? 

If they knew about this site could have found out months ago where everyone was playing. 

BTW the clashfinder, ive done 8 stages now. Is anyone bothered about the ones I've not done?  

There’s a definite element of the Victorious crowd that have no idea how festivals work or haven’t been to a gig for years.

Good work on the Clashfinder. TBH I’m only visiting 4 (Common, Castle, Acoustic, Seaside) and might just pop in on some randoms on the smaller ones when passing. 

On 8/8/2018 at 3:30 PM, eFestivals said:

I haven't been out in Pompey since I was 19 either, but I don't miss it. That would be in 1984. :lol:

Used to drink in the Jubilee Vaults when I lived in Southsea. Google Streetview tells me it's called 'The Coast' today (opposite the pier).

It's definitely "The Coast." My sister in law had her wedding reception there!