Victorious Festival 2018

seanz25

On 6/26/2018 at 11:44 AM, jump said:

I'll be straight in on Sat for Happy Mondays, are they any good live these days? I saw Shaun Ryder at a Gorillaz show last year and he wasn't looking his peak.

Saw them headline Godiva a few years back and they absolutely smashed it, Shaun was sobber as was Bez. Rowetta was on top form too. 

2 minutes ago, thetime said:

Went to Castlefields on Friday night to see Shed Seven and they completed smashed it, best live gig I have been for many a year.

Just realised will have been 10 years since I've seen them I think. Sure it was TITP 2008 last time, about the same for Lightning Seeds, that was at V around that time, Kaisers I haven't seen since V2005, not really interested in them or Libs though. But yeah Shed Seven are defo the highlight of Friday for me

12 hours ago, luckysalt said:

I made that dude, yeah it was based on last years times, the Friday isn't though. Seems we are getting less acts on main this year so guess it will be a bit different. 

I was going to go back and do the full thing but I've not got back to it.

Good effort, thanks.

Think I've asked before but there's more people on here now. 

Can anyone tell me the coo on the car parking at this festival. ie.. Can you go back to the car park any time and is it possible if you are quiet to sleep in your camper... Just for the night. 

Any information would be great. 

CHEERS. G

5 hours ago, guypjfreak said:

Think I've asked before but there's more people on here now. 

Can anyone tell me the coo on the car parking at this festival. ie.. Can you go back to the car park any time and is it possible if you are quiet to sleep in your camper... Just for the night. 

Any information would be great. 

CHEERS. G

You can go back to your car at any point yes, entry and leave and re-entry can be done any point prior to the headliners starting.

I've no idea about the sleeping aspect though dude. I doubt they will monitor.

• Upvote 1

So! Friday is going to open at 1pm now instead of 4pm. 

But they've only added one extra act to the line up. Which is the Silver Beatles, think they opened Friday last year didn't they? They're playing an album in full, Abbey Road which runs at 47mins so seems like the acts on Friday are getting longer sets, with the Saturday and Sunday having less acts on main seems like all the Common stage acts might be getting longer sets then! 

There's defo been some acts playing over the years I've felt could do with longer sets but im not sure all of them do, some of these old school acts, they come out do a 30 min set blast out the hits and everyone is happy, I guess Happy Mondays and Gomez might get an hr now instead of the previous 45 mins and maybe the 30 minute acts get a 40-45 min set. Thing is I really hope they don't have Mondays and Gomez coming on even earlier than the special guest slot of 1pm, if they put them 11.30am for example then I think thats pushing it. 

Its 50 days away anyway today, so im sure we won't have to wait TOO long for the times. 

4 hours ago, luckysalt said:

You can go back to your car at any point yes, entry and leave and re-entry can be done any point prior to the headliners starting.

I've no idea about the sleeping aspect though dude. I doubt they will monitor.

Cheers old son.. Thanks for the advice. G

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, seanz25 said:

Scraping the barrel that. Money must be tight.

5 hours ago, Tommy101 said:

Yeah - odd booking for me too. DJ in the middle of the day seems uncharacteristic and not a huge name. 

I wouldn't say its a small booking, its the seaside stage, it has hardly ever any name acts, always unsigned acts. Its, in reality, the biggest booking for that stage they've ever done. I guess its for a nice chill in the afternoon, I don't really understand the logic behind it however, yes he's on the UK's most listened to radio station, so if he gives some plugs its good for Victorious, but the festival is owned by Global, you would think they would use Global owned radio station DJ's.

5 hours ago, Mattymooz said:

It's been nowhere near as well advertised this year either which seems a bit odd.

The simple reason behind that is its already sold more than any previous Victorious, if its already hit its target numbers, no point in chucking away money advertising when no need. 

3 hours ago, luckysalt said:

The simple reason behind that is its already sold more than any previous Victorious, if its already hit its target numbers, no point in chucking away money advertising when no need. 

I guess but when your max capacity is so high it seems weird not to push for extra ticket sales when there is nothing stopping you.

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Franco Baresi said:

First time at Victorious this year lads, is there anywhere to go when it kicks out at 11pm? or do any bars stay open on site for a bit? what's Southsea like for a drink within walking distance from the entrance/exits?

you're best off going into Southsea, there'll be plenty going on until a lot later than the festival.

Main options are

Palmerston Road/Osbourne road which are really near the site. Quite a few options from Lord Palmerston which is a Spoons to places like Croxtons or Meat and Barrel which are nice independent fancy beer pubs (I'd go for the latter). Pro: Very close nearby, Con: will be extremely busy. There's also a gimmicky vodka bar called Hong Kong Charlies (HKC) that is alright for a laugh but probably wouldn't want to stay in there for too long.

Other option for pubs/bars is Albert road, don't bother with a taxi, you'll be walking for less time than you will wait for one. Maybe 10/15 min walk - there will be thousands of people heading down there too. Big variety of pubs down here I'd recommend Lord John Russel which will have a DJ on until late, if you want something a little more laid back the Wine Vaults or Porters might be open late. Oh and the Fat Fox will be open with a DJ in one room and a more traditional pub in the other but will obv be the music playing. It'll still be busy enough as most of Portsmouth/Southsea will be heading down there.

Alternatively there is a club and some expensive pubs/bard open in Gunwarf but I haven't been down there in years so can't really comment. I'd avoid Guilhall walk like the plague.

Quite a decent bit of nightlife about, if none of the above float your boat let me know what you're after and I'll be happy to have a think.

12 hours ago, Tommy101 said:

I'd avoid Guildhall walk like the plague.

Been thinking about this, and although it's not relevant to Franco's question it might be useful for others. I wouldn't recommend it at night but if anyone is coming down on the train Guildhall is nearby and on the way. There's a Spoons, Yates and a Brewhouse. You could do worse than popping into the Brewhouse on the way down.

18 hours ago, Tommy101 said:

you're best off going into Southsea, there'll be plenty going on until a lot later than the festival.

Main options are

Palmerston Road/Osbourne road which are really near the site. Quite a few options from Lord Palmerston which is a Spoons to places like Croxtons or Meat and Barrel which are nice independent fancy beer pubs (I'd go for the latter). Pro: Very close nearby, Con: will be extremely busy. There's also a gimmicky vodka bar called Hong Kong Charlies (HKC) that is alright for a laugh but probably wouldn't want to stay in there for too long.

Other option for pubs/bars is Albert road, don't bother with a taxi, you'll be walking for less time than you will wait for one. Maybe 10/15 min walk - there will be thousands of people heading down there too. Big variety of pubs down here I'd recommend Lord John Russel which will have a DJ on until late, if you want something a little more laid back the Wine Vaults or Porters might be open late. Oh and the Fat Fox will be open with a DJ in one room and a more traditional pub in the other but will obv be the music playing. It'll still be busy enough as most of Portsmouth/Southsea will be heading down there.

Alternatively there is a club and some expensive pubs/bard open in Gunwarf but I haven't been down there in years so can't really comment. I'd avoid Guilhall walk like the plague.

Quite a decent bit of nightlife about, if none of the above float your boat let me know what you're after and I'll be happy to have a think.

Ah fantastic! thanks for taking the time to write that out Tommy! Sounds like there's plenty going on close to the festival then, really looking forward to it now, only doing the Fri & Sat, and staying in the Ibis near Fratton Park, my gang do Glastonbury every year, so being the fallow year we've decided to give this one a bash! We've got the Downs Festival in Bristol the weekend after as well, so good times ahead! Hope you have a good festival! Cheers again.

8 minutes ago, Franco Baresi said:

Ah fantastic! thanks for taking the time to write that out Tommy! Sounds like there's plenty going on close to the festival then, really looking forward to it now, only doing the Fri & Sat, and staying in the Ibis near Fratton Park, my gang do Glastonbury every year, so being the fallow year we've decided to give this one a bash! We've got the Downs Festival in Bristol the weekend after as well, so good times ahead! Hope you have a good festival! Cheers again.

No worries. Palmerston Road and Albert Road are both on the way back to Fratton Ibis too (or can be without too much of a detour).

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

It's probably just because I haven't been out in Pompey since I was 19, so I weirdly miss it 

I haven't been out in Pompey since I was 19 either, but I don't miss it. That would be in 1984. :lol:

Used to drink in the Jubilee Vaults when I lived in Southsea. Google Streetview tells me it's called 'The Coast' today (opposite the pier).