Victorious Festival 2018

seanz25

Figured I'd kick this off nice and early - Tier 1, limited early-bird tickets on-sale right now at £27.50 for the Sat/Sun & £22.00 for the Friday. Kid's tickets are up a pound at £8.50 per day. 

Lot's to reflect on for the festival organisers from this year - As good as it was, there was clearly capacity issues in-terms of food stands/bar queing. Also probably to many kids floating about on there own, causing trouble. (More taking this from other's feedback on the 2017 thread than my own thoughts)

Anyway, who are they booking? They've exhausted most the main options I can think of now for the indie headliners on a budget that cheap. 

I do wonder if someone like The Cure or Morrissey is within reach - Similar to 2016, perhaps the undercard takes a hit for a bigger headliner. 

Would love The Cure mind - Also think acts like The Wonderstuff, The View, The Pixies are all, also shouts. I have a horrible suspicion that they've got the Libs booked and that's partly why Pete's set this year contained just the 1 song of theirs, however the state he was in, I think they make look elsewhere now. I'm also not sure how well they'd go down at Victorious.

No idea who they'll book for the castle stage headliners. Always think McFly/Busted are a shout for one. Followed by someone else relatively nameworthy. 

I fear that Kaiser Chiefs fit most of the bookers tick boxes. Similar sort of size of previous headliners, would probably go down well with a lot of the locals.

Not sure who I'd like to see who is realistically an option. Maybe Foals or Alt J if they are around but they might be too big to accept it (wouldn't like to comment on the cash issue). Maybe acts like Bastille and Chase & Status might be in for a shout? The latter of which seem to visit (and go down well at) Portsmouth venues relatively frequently.

40 minutes ago, Tommy101 said:

I fear that Kaiser Chiefs fit most of the bookers tick boxes. Similar sort of size of previous headliners, would probably go down well with a lot of the locals.

Not sure who I'd like to see who is realistically an option. Maybe Foals or Alt J if they are around but they might be too big to accept it (wouldn't like to comment on the cash issue). Maybe acts like Bastille and Chase & Status might be in for a shout? The latter of which seem to visit (and go down well at) Portsmouth venues relatively frequently.

Kaiser Chiefs as headliners? Surely they're more sub-level for this now?

55 minutes ago, Tommy101 said:

Think Kaisers are nailed on. James would be my guess for another headliner.

Alt J headlined Bluedot last month (very good they were too). Given that's only 5k capacity can't see them turning their noses up at Victorious. Doubt they would get booked for a headliner though...guessing they would go for somebody more mainstream.

Wouldn't mind Doves as a possible sub when they finish their hiatus.

Struggling to think of bands the right size for Victorious headliner that a) they haven't already had and B) are still going. That smiley face should be a B) ...ahh...ya bollix its done it again. Its the first letter of 'bollix' followed by ')'. 

Prodigy? Chemical Brothers?  

We're still debating whether its worth taking the risk of getting tickets. We might wait and see the initial line up to see what route it looks like they're going down in terms of the crowd they are going to attract.

Think the immediate priorities would be firstly getting more and better trained bar staff. A lot of the issues seemed to be caused by inexperienced bar staff not having a Scoobies. One trip to the bar I only waited in the queue for 5 or so minutes, but it then took at least 10-15 minutes for them to sort my drinks out. Having wristbands that clearly show who is and isn't old enough to drink (so show ID at the gate to get one that lets you buys drinks) will also speed up the process, especially if you are going to ID people who are clearly in their 30's.

They  should also stick to their commitment that teenagers need to be accompanied by an adult...clearly this didn't happen this year.

Edited by Flaminglippy

Whilst I didn't experience any problems re: teenagers, from what I've seen here and elsewhere I suspect there may need to be a rethink around the Beats & Swing Tent. Apparently this is where the more troublesome teen element gathered.

I wonder if the police might ask for this to be removed or rebranded into something different?

From people I've spoken to it does seem to be that training of bar staff and bar management was the big issue rather than size of the bars.

I heard that Beats & Swing might have been shut down due to the kids kicking off. It did feel a bit school disco around that corner for the whole weekend which is a shame really because it's normally a great place to hang out between anticipated acts.

I think Kaiser Chiefs are still big enough to headline, wouldn't be overly surprised if they subbed or did the castle stage either. 

Doves seems extremely ambitious to me. I think they would have a lot better offered if/when they reform.

Prodigy and Chems are interesting shouts - they'd both be a large step away from past bookings though. 

Can't believe he hasn't been mentioned but Paul Weller is defo the right size for headliner as has been said in the past.

Victorious is at that point now however where the festival has grown in terms of capacity, surely they can attract bigger artists. 

Can they get the likes of The Killers or Kings of Leon in now though. I personally wouldn't want either cus would just bring the mainstream dickheads. 

Id love Morrissey. I also hope we see some returns next year, Primal Scream, Johnny Marr, Peter Hook and the Light, The Cribs, all would be awesome undercard.

Are Primal Scream big enough still to headline Friday night? with Happy Mondays subbing. Surely that pairing would sell the Friday as its the Castle stage.

EDIT - now their stock has well fallen and its not the original line up, id love them to get Bloc Party booked

Edited by luckysalt

18 hours ago, seanz25 said:

On the kids having to enter with parents thing, they where enforcing it, just kids where asking randomers to take them in. Experienced it on the Sunday.

Don't suppose there is a lot they can do about that...though why anybody would want to do it is beyond me!

18 hours ago, Tommy101 said:

Doves seems extremely ambitious to me. I think they would have a lot better offered if/when they reform.

To be honest I would have said they're probably not even big enough to headline and would be more suited to a sub slot. Pretty sure they were only playing Academy sized venues which seem about the right size for Victorious headliners....plus haven't done owt for ages

Edited by Flaminglippy

2 hours ago, MattDavies__ said:

New Order or Pixies seem like decent Friday headliner options to me. Dunno if its likely either will still be touring next summer, mind. 

I could see them booking Placebo as a sub. 

Id love Placebo, not sure if they would get booked at Victorious anymore however, the way it seems to be headed. :(

15 hours ago, Mattymooz said:

Thinking maybe they can get someone like The LIbertines this year? They must be due a new album out this year but may still be a tad large I dunno

Libertines are playing festivals a lot smaller than victorious, also playing venues smaller than the likes of elbow and stereophonics.

• Upvote 1

first time I have ever commented on here, although I have followed the Victorious thread for a few years as I always go.

I hope Kaiser Chiefs do not headline next year,I would be happy with the Libertines. I would love the Pixies to play although I can't see it happening. I would also love to see the Hives there(obviously not as a headliner) as they are always entertaining.

17 hours ago, victorious mike said:

first time I have ever commented on here, although I have followed the Victorious thread for a few years as I always go.

I hope Kaiser Chiefs do not headline next year,I would be happy with the Libertines. I would love the Pixies to play although I can't see it happening. I would also love to see the Hives there(obviously not as a headliner) as they are always entertaining.

Welcome :) - Hope to see you stick around commenting, even if it's just this thread!

I can't personally see the Kasier Cheifs headlining, don't think they're big enough to headline the size of the festival, they'd be a decent 2nd or 3rd down on the main stage though. The Hives would go down a storm, even if people aren't to familiar with them at Victorious. Set is always lively and good fun. 

Depedning on what his plans are, it may be to early, but a Liam Gallagher solo set isn't completley out the realms of possibility, especially with how well Noel went down a few years back. 

Edited by seanz25

13 minutes ago, Frangipane said:

First time they've been limited in quantity, as opposed to time. 

it'd be interesting to see how that might change people's approach to buying - tho of course it's unlikely us on the outside will get any clear indicators.

When i posted recently when I wised-up to the size of victorious, people said a strong part of how it had got so big were the cheap tickets, so fewer cheap tickets might change attitudes.

9 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

it'd be interesting to see how that might change people's approach to buying - tho of course it's unlikely us on the outside will get any clear indicators.

When i posted recently when I wised-up to the size of victorious, people said a strong part of how it had got so big were the cheap tickets, so fewer cheap tickets might change attitudes.

Indeed. I've been every year, other than the year of its inception, but can't recall how much I've paid in the past, only that it's always been incredibly good value. 

I've now bought my tickets, just Saturday and Sunday. Still very good value at tier one price. Will wait and see who's announced for the Friday before making that decision, but hotel booked for all three nights. 

1 hour ago, seanz25 said:

Also add that childrens tickets are now only ages 5 - 12 - Used to be right up until about 15/16. Global making some big changes.

to be fair, any sold out festival run by a big greedy corporate with shareholders to satisfy is going to pump up its prices.

While big greedy corporates are not a fantastic thing, if you want to point at anyone for causing that, point at the people who sold to them while claiming - pretending - that nothing would change.

Without the greed of those geezers, Global don't get to play.

Edited by eFestivals

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

to be fair, any sold out festival run by a big greedy corporate with shareholders to satisfy is going to pump up its prices.

While big greedy corporates are not a fantastic thing, if you want to point at anyone for causing that, point at the people who sold to them while claiming - pretending - that nothing would change.

Without the greed of those geezers, Global don't get to play.

Aha, no I'm just pointing out that this will likely put off a lot of familys from going, compared to previous years where adult ticket prices have increased year on year, the value for taking kids has only gone up a pound or so and because it was such good value, outbalanced the increase in adult tickets, even still. This year though, changing the bracket for kids tickets, does remove quite a bit of the value, at least to familys such as mine, of which many seem to attend Victorious.