Bearded Theory 2018

BlackHole2006

16 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

Are you in the camper van field? It's an absolute nightare.  Two hours since we left the a38.

Still on the road to Catton Hall... we have been 2 hours since we got off the M6 toll... first time here, a bit disappointing tbh.. I don’t know what can be so difficult 

40 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

My brother has given up and found a b&b for the night. 

That’s dreadful...

i don’t believe that there was an issue on the A38 (as stated on Twitter) as it took us around 2 hours once we got off the A38...

it did seem a bit of a shambles getting parked up in the camper van field... and we had to go and find someone to stamp our tickets and issue wristbands...

still, all that is history... we are here now and the beer selection looks top notch.!

Morning fellow Beardos,

Hope everyone's having a blinder.

First time for me, the missus and the kids, very excited.  travelling up today and staying in the campervan field. 

Can anyone tell us what the conditions are like, we had thunderstorms and rain yesterday but it looked like it missed the festival luckily.

2 hours ago, SteveTLizard said:

Morning fellow Beardos,

Hope everyone's having a blinder.

First time for me, the missus and the kids, very excited.  travelling up today and staying in the campervan field. 

Can anyone tell us what the conditions are like, we had thunderstorms and rain yesterday but it looked like it missed the festival luckily.

Boggy round the entrances but the arena itself is pretty much still ok

36 minutes ago, Flaminglippy said:

Great shout on October Drift...excellent. Decent crowd as well considering its only just stopped pissing down 

Good to hear it - my work is done.

NOw, I really should stop torturing myself coming on this Forum when I should be in a field, but have  in fact just finished hoovering the kitchen

• Like 1

On 5/25/2018 at 1:07 PM, sparkythetortoise said:

And actually, far more usefully, I should add the BBC are saying no more rain for you until Sunday. Fingers crossed 

Well, the BBC were right (for once)... although they didn’t describe this as ‘biblical ‘...

37 minutes ago, BlueDaze said:

Well, the BBC were right (for once)... although they didn’t describe this as ‘biblical ‘...

It's been 'eventful' here most of the night too. I was wondering if you guys and girls were getting a bit of it. Keep a stiff upper lip, and drop something would be my advice. It's either that, or kick out of the tent the weakest in your group, with a television aerial lashed to his / her head. It's either / or I'm afraid.

Seriously though - hope you are all having fun. I've got a few friends there, and hope that they are having fun too. 

Pretty hairy at 3am this morning! Thunderstorms always sound more cacophonous under canvas...

Sounded like a fair amount of rain, but the site seems to have taken it well. Only muddy areas are on the entances to the “arena” and into the Woodland. Obvious worry is that 12 hours of further thunderstorms are forecast from late-morning. Anything like the one last night and I can see acts getting cancelled.

14 minutes ago, The Red Telephone said:

Blimey! Had someone popped some Ket in your ale?! 

Sorry to bring it up, but did you manage to watch any of the final?

Listened to most of the final in the bar next to Maui Waui. Sounded like not leaving the site was the right thing to do. Plant was superb, then Therapy? in the Woodlands, was a good night.

I think I was just knackered, and a little pissed so slept right through the storm. 

October Drift - awesome. So much energy too. Loved them.

We were lucky, no traffic on motorways so arrived at 11.40, already a queue on last road so sat there, gates opened early and tent pitched and cider open at 1.10pm.

Loved every minute of it, even the early o'clock special light show.

Is it 2019 yet?

On 5/24/2018 at 10:54 PM, BlueDaze said:

That’s dreadful...

i don’t believe that there was an issue on the A38 (as stated on Twitter) as it took us around 2 hours once we got off the A38...

it did seem a bit of a shambles getting parked up in the camper van field... and we had to go and find someone to stamp our tickets and issue wristbands...

still, all that is history... we are here now and the beer selection looks top notch.!

Shambles getting into the CV fields was the stewards getting vehicles to move 1mm to the left then 1mm to the right .  If they were worried about space they should enforce the no tents or cars rule in the cv fields . 

Just back from my first time at Bearded, had a bath, cracked open some left over cider and now ready to watch the play-off final.

My thoughts on the 4 days....

Bit of a nightmare getting in...wasn’t expecting it at all (and I don’t think the organisers were). Sat in a 9-hour queue at Glastonbury in 2016, so used to festival traffic problems! Not much info around as what the problem was and how long we would be waiting. Seems that the organisers blamed it on an accident/ breakdowns on the A38, which was a bit slack - couldn’t see any, and was probably down to access into the car parks and campervan fields.

Anyway, once we got in we really enjoyed it! Took my 5 year-old to his first festival (he stayed the first 2 days, then went to in-laws) and he had a fantastic time. Said to us at one point “Everyone is so happy!” - which was lovely. Great place for kids, but still enough of an “edge” around it not to make It anaemic. Stayed in family camping, which was very quiet at night. Had friends staying in regular camping and they found it a normal festival experience, music from neighbours going on until about 3.

Really friendly crowd, didn’t experience any twattery from anyone. Great choice of beers and ciders. Food selection good, normal festival prices for meals - £8/10. Liked the Sudanese stall and a had a good veggie curry from old favourites, Ghandis Flip Flop. Tea/ coffee good value at £1/2 from some places.

Loved the Woodland stage - a beautiful place. Main stage sound was a bit ropey at times - think the dance tent should probably be relocated if they want to keep the same volume in there. Enjoyed  the little Ship stage!

Musically, I wouldn’t have chosen this festival - mainly selected it because of the family vibe and the good value. That said I enjoyed The Coral, Fun Lovin Criminals, Robert Plant, Darren Emerson, Mik Artistik, Dub Pistols, Dobioza Collectiv and Jimmy Cliff. A lot of punk and ska, but seems like a lot the crowd at there fot it - so, not a criticism!

Good that you can take your own booze in and have the chance to buy interesting beer from different places - other festivals should take note.