Acts you don't "get"

DareToDibble

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Beatles are overrated by default, no band could ever be that revered and not be overrated. But they're absolutely one of the top five bands of all time by any metric, and their back-catalogue is so diverse I struggle to believe anyone - except possibly the most narrow-minded and insistent metal or hip-hop fans - could possibly 'not get it'. And it's all still so exciting to listen to for new kids growing up, whereas other bands of that era - The Who, Floyd, possibly The Doors - haven't aged nearly so well. 

Edited by Zac Quinn

29 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

The Beatles are overrated by default, no band could ever be that revered and not be overrated. But they're absolutely one of the top five bands of all time by any metric, and their back-catalogue is so diverse I struggle to believe anyone - except possibly the most narrow-minded and insistent metal or hip-hop fans - could possibly 'not get it'. And it's all still so exciting to listen to for new kids growing up, whereas other bands of that era - The Who, Floyd, possibly The Doors - haven't aged nearly so well. 

Yep.  My four year old daughter's favourite song is "Ticket To Ride"  She sings it in a pitiful voice when she tantrums and slams her bedroom door.  On a car journey the other week, I was so proud when she said "I want to listen to The Beatles!!"

Unfortunately, she asked me if Ringo played on Love Me Do, which turned out to have a really complicated and boring answer, so mutual appreciation of the music didn't happen, more me looking on my phone and occasionally shouting out variations of "yes he did, this is a singles collection, no hang on, they started including the album version on the greatest hits, so..."  Not the best way to inspire interest.

I'd have said Radiohead about 5 years ago, but they just needed a bit of time. Would always suggest giving one Radiohead album multiple listens rather than different albums one listen each if anyone's trying to get into them.

I don't really get Metallica, bar a couple of decent songs, they do absolutely nothing for me. Thought it might be a different story live but I was bored to tears at Leeds a couple of years ago except for when they played One. Does every song need to be long for the sake of being long?

22 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Live videos are how I got what was going on.

There's not much big or obvious to latch onto in their music, for me it all came down to noticing the intricate interplay Bryce and Aaron have going on. From there it all just seemed to make sense, the way all these elements are layered on top of each other, everything's so deliberate. Matt's voice was a huge turnoff when I first listened, but I can't get enough of it now. It's weird, I can't reconcile the songs I'm obsessed with now with being the same songs I thought were unremarkable a couple of years ago.

Thanks! I shall investigate and report back. It's their one last shot at redemption.

28 minutes ago, Smeble said:

but above all others Bruce Springsteen, cheesy and naff back in the 80s, even worse now.

I woulda been similar had i not had a ticket to a show in '03 gifted to me on the day of the gig. Bought The River/Darkness/Rising/USA records the next day. He's beyond incredible. Top 5 artist of all time as Quinner says up thread.

Have to agree with some - like Public Service Broadcasting (one of only two gigs I've ever walked out of).

But Springsteen live has always been awesome - apart from his dire show at Glastonbury which, sadly, he didn't seem to get.

I saw a magnificent Flying Pickets show in the Rhondda Valley when they did a Miners Benefit during the 1984 strike, so they were good in their time.

They were the original FPs with Brian Hibbard, not the ersatz band that formed later using the name.  They were witty, very tight, sang a great range of material and connected well with the audience in a way that was relevant to the mood of the time.

OK maybe they're a Marmite group but were good fun.

8 hours ago, bamber said:

Kasabian, Killers, Kansas, Kajagoogoo, Kaiser Chiefs, Kular Shaker,  any band beginning with K is always shite.

(Except Kool and the Gang and KC and the sunshine Band....... of course!) 

What about kraftwerk..... before anyone says it if you don't get them  what's wrong with u 

4 minutes ago, crocodiles said:

What about kraftwerk..... before anyone says it if you don't get them  what's wrong with u 

Beyond me how anyone gets any enjoyment out of listening to their soulless, shite. It may have been something new and different when they started but new and different crap is still crap and going to see them live is surely just a piss take.

"But it's a 3D show, man". Fuck off, every show is 3D. It's 4 old German blokes stood behind laptops, laughing at how you've paid to watch them press play while a gash 6th form art student's video runs on a screen.

It's like a 40 years of The Emporor's New Clothes.