Acts you don't "get"

DareToDibble

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a number of bands that fall in the range of being a music type that I like, and I think they do it well, I even sort of like a few of the tunes, but they absolutely fail to move me & I can never be bothered to see them live, and when I have tried, I have realised pretty instantaneously that I am just not interested

Foos, Muse, Kings of Leon, Biffy Clyro........it's not actually that I don't like them, I just can't get excited about them.

9 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

Post above has reminded me about Biffy. I used to love them and never got to see them live... then I saw them at Glasto this year. Not sure if my musical tastes have changed or something but their set did nothing for me.

I'm the same, seemed like they were trying to be proper pop and still appeal to the rock audience to me, failed on both accounts on my part.

I know I've said it before but I don't get any rap, hip hop and now this new grime... Really don't like it and I don't like the message most songs put across..... But also the real screaming heavy metal music... 

I'd also like to add to this list 

Elbow, the boss Springsteen, take that, Frank turner and anything to do with jools Holland.. 

Favourite new bands at mo are 

Cerca waves, empire of the sun, and laural.. There's also a geezer called freak who sounds OK but only heard one or two tunes but my son says he's OK.. 

Music is a great divider but a better way of uniting people..... 

Interesting topic I like to think I've got pretty diverse music tastes but have to accept that don't probably here as much new stuff as i should.  Lot of stuff mentioned on here I would say from my point of view is an age thing I don't like Taylor swift etc but it's not a criticism of her just not for me . But there is stuff I just don't get or sometimes I think is it like the emperor's new clothes in that the media say it's cool so nobody wants to say it isn't.  Stormzy and grime in general. Not necessarily because of a cool factor but never understood Metallica slipknot etc it's just shite . But as I say it's all about taste 

19 minutes ago, Ovechkin said:

didn't get frank ocean at all, tried several times. watched his set at way out west 2 weeks ago and been listening non-stop to him. amazing.

Franky was a slow burner for me as well. And even though I was a fan, I wasn't into Blonde when it came out, thought it was boring, listen to it now and wonder how the fuck such majesty could ever bore me.

Just now, zero000 said:

Show me the way Lawny.

Live videos are how I got what was going on.

There's not much big or obvious to latch onto in their music, for me it all came down to noticing the intricate interplay Bryce and Aaron have going on. From there it all just seemed to make sense, the way all these elements are layered on top of each other, everything's so deliberate. Matt's voice was a huge turnoff when I first listened, but I can't get enough of it now. It's weird, I can't reconcile the songs I'm obsessed with now with being the same songs I thought were unremarkable a couple of years ago.

Two bands stand above all others under the category of 'I try and I try but just no', they being The National and Arcade Fire. Slightly different category of 'I can understand why some people would like them a bit but I can't understand how or why so many people have come to like them so much' has a whole list of bands that fall into it, most notably Oasis and Drake but also dirge like Lana Del Ray, Imagine Dragons, Ellie Goulding, The Libertines. Yeulch.  

Edited by Zac Quinn

1 hour ago, Chawk said:

Listened to 'The Best of The Beatles', supposedly their best album, wasn't that great.

I was going to suggest The Beatles, but was too scared to say.  :unsure:

I completely get why they're huge and how influential they are to music, but I just can't get into them at all. I listened to the likes of Abbey Road, Sgt.Peppers etc but felt nothing.

I'd also add Everything Everything, we decided to stay in the pub rather than see them support Foals. 

Also while I was a huge fan of them during my teenage years (only about 5-8 years ago mind! :D) , I've really fallen out of love with Oasis. Two great albums and a few good tunes across several albums but I really don't get the "best band ever" mentality I get from some people. 

2 minutes ago, Tommy101 said:

I think Beatles are the most overrated band in history. I still like a fair bit of their stuff but I think that history is being kind to them.

History is not being kind to The Beatles. The Beatles are history.