Old Music Thread

eFestivals

On 11/1/2020 at 11:24 AM, CaledonianGonzo said:

https://louderthanwar.com/silver-sun-singer-james-broad-dies/

RIP

Real ones know their debut album is full of monster jams.

220px-Silver_Sun_Cover.jpg

Damn. They had some tunes. Funny enough I was meaning to go back and listen to them after I heard the original version of Too Much the other day.

On 11/13/2020 at 11:18 PM, Ayrshire Chris said:

RIP Ken Hensley, keyboard player, multi instrumentalist and song writer with Uriah Heep, 70s progressive/heavy rock band.  One of those bands that were in the shadow of led zep, deep purple etc but had some great albums. 

E83B73A6-18C0-450C-AC8D-C52894AF7FB3.thumb.jpeg.b0bd96a62b94421d78136e82a3555d28.jpeg

He was a superb song writer. The band should have got much more recognition, in my view they were the precursors to Queen, rock with harmonies and flair and some lengthy, intricate songs. They made about 8 really good albums.

• Upvote 2

On 11/23/2020 at 2:49 AM, bamber said:

It is not for everyone.

Dexys.

One of my brothers mates was in a shop with his Irish mom when his mate saw that Kevin Rowland had walked into the shop. This was way back when they were first famous. His mate said to his mom something along the lines of 'That's Kevin Rowland from the band Dexy's Midnight Runners, mom'. Her response was to say something along the lines of 'Well, if you know him and his one of your friends, go over and tell him that I'll stitch up the rips in his jeans for him, no bother'. lol

On 11/23/2020 at 9:29 PM, Avalon_Fields said:

He was a superb song writer. The band should have got much more recognition, in my view they were the precursors to Queen, rock with harmonies and flair and some lengthy, intricate songs. They made about 8 really good albums.

Only Mick Box left now from their classic line up.  I still go to their gigs when they tour. Great to hear the old tunes .

On 11/23/2020 at 9:29 PM, Avalon_Fields said:

Uriah Heep - July Morning, remains one of my favourites. Saw them live at the Brangwyn Hall in Swansea very early on. I was maybe 14. Even though the festival happens in June and I've never seen them at the festival, it always reminds me of Glastonbury. The Monday or Tuesday sometimes drifts into July. I so love this tune. I sing it to myself when I find I find find myself out on the Gower on such July mornings.

Panels_at_the_rear_of_Brangwyn_Hall_-_ge

Edited by bamber
  • Upvote 1

On 11/24/2020 at 11:39 PM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Fabulous. Hadn't seen that before. Thanks bamber. :)

Despite being, literally, a card carrying Republican (as in get rid of the Royal family in the UK, not a Trump supporting moron) https://www.republic.org.uk/  I watched this live. Grace Jones was singularly the best bit of the whole thing by miles. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I got so bored/drunk the other day that I deliberately started listening to landfill indie (it appears 2008 was THE peak).

I didn't see me getting bang back into Chapel Club and The Pigeon Detectives coming. I should probably be ashamed of myself - but in the words of TPD:

Went back and revisited this for the first time in ages at the weekend. One of the albums I used to listen to on repeat when it came out.

Echobelly_on.jpg.6d900bb2ed02afa6f739a390873d032e.jpg

Proper peak 90s indie for me. An album full of tunes, but avoiding the obvious singles this one's a banger.