Old Music Thread

eFestivals

• 4 weeks later...

I can't believe it took me until this year to properly listen to Talking Heads. So grateful that Bilbao BBK booked David Byrne. They've shot up straight to being one of my favourite bands really quickly, and Remain In Light is getting listened to about once a week and is perfect every time.

The run of Talking Heads 77 -> More Songs About Buildings And Food -> Fear Of Music -> Remain In Light -> Speaking In Tongues.....that's got to be the best 5 album run by anyone ever? Someone please correct me if that isn't actually the case cos I need to hear whatever has topped it. Little Creatures onwards is still good but those first 5 are insane.

8 hours ago, Odessa said:

The run of Talking Heads 77 -> More Songs About Buildings And Food -> Fear Of Music -> Remain In Light -> Speaking In Tongues.....that's got to be the best 5 album run by anyone ever?

Nope. I'm the resident 40-years Talking Heads fan, btw. 

Take out ''77' and 'Speaking in Tongues', and replace with Byrne's first 2 not-talking-heads albums - which are 'My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts' (with Brian Eno), and '(music from) The Catherine Wheel'.

Then you'd really have 5 of the most amazing albums ever. :)

You could also add-in 'The Name Of This Band Is Talking Heads' - the original vinyl release, if you can find it. The current CD issue is OK, but the extra songs actually make it a less-good album.

Of the other Byrne solo stuff, I reckon 'Feelings' is the best of them. You might also like Chris & Tina's 'Tom Tom Club', or Jerry Harrison's 'The Red & The Black'. Of the other Talking Heads albums I reckon 'Naked' is the best.

3 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Take out ''77' and 'Speaking in Tongues', and replace with Byrne's first 2 not-talking-heads albums - which are 'My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts' (with Brian Eno), and '(music from) The Catherine Wheel'.

You could also add-in 'The Name Of This Band Is Talking Heads' - the original vinyl release, if you can find it. The current CD issue is OK, but the extra songs actually make it a less-good album.

Of the other Byrne solo stuff, I reckon 'Feelings' is the best of them. You might also like Chris & Tina's 'Tom Tom Club', or Jerry Harrison's 'The Red & The Black'. Of the other Talking Heads albums I reckon 'Naked' is the best.

Difficult to come up with many live albums where the extra songs enhance the original.

Anyway, dug out the double LP to play....

TH.jpg.c9e20fac2ce82edbb2894898ee04f971.jpg

4 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Yeah I was talking to you about the new David Byrne album when it came out. I still think it's good, has it grown on you at all? It's the only one of his solo records I've heard so far but I'll definitely be going through the rest, so thanks I'll start with those two! If they're really better than 77 and Speaking In Tongues, then wow.

I'll go through the others you've mentioned too, ta. I read Johnny Marr's autobiography the other week and it was interesting reading about his input on Naked, and I agree with him that they should have called the album Talking Heads: 88. Although maybe that's cos it makes sense with hindsight and knowing it would be their last one.

Did you see them live? I was looking on setlist.fm last night and it appeared they didn't venture out of London very often when they visited.

13 hours ago, Odessa said:

The run of Talking Heads 77 -> More Songs About Buildings And Food -> Fear Of Music -> Remain In Light -> Speaking In Tongues.....that's got to be the best 5 album run by anyone ever? Someone please correct me if that isn't actually the case cos I need to hear whatever has topped it.

Alligator -> Boxer -> High Violet -> Trouble Will Find Me -> Sleep Well Beast

Hold On Now Youngster -> We Are Beautiful, We Are Doomed -> Romance Is Boring -> Hello Sadness -> No Blues -> Sick Scenes

27 minutes ago, Odessa said:

Yeah I was talking to you about the new David Byrne album when it came out. I still think it's good, has it grown on you at all?

nah, not really - but as i'm experienced with Byrne's solo stuff it's much as I expected it to be.

I'll give it a few more spins in the next month before I go and see him, but it might never get played again after that. 

It's the only one of his solo records I've heard so far but I'll definitely be going through the rest, so thanks I'll start with those two! If they're really better than 77 and Speaking In Tongues, then wow.

They definitely are! :)

The rest of his solo stuff is patchy to say the least. A leftfield very different one is 'Music from the Knee Plays', which I like a lot - but it is very different to all the rest.

I'll go through the others you've mentioned too, ta. I read Johnny Marr's autobiography the other week and it was interesting reading about his input on Naked, and I agree with him that they should have called the album Talking Heads: 88. Although maybe that's cos it makes sense with hindsight and knowing it would be their last one.

First time I heard Naked I immediately said "that's Johnny Marr" - and I'm still patting myself on the back for that aural recognition today  ... but it was hardly rocket science. :lol:

Did you see them live? I was looking on setlist.fm last night and it appeared they didn't venture out of London very often when they visited.

Nope, I never did do. :( .... I'm very jealous of Peter Gabriel who was at all 4 shows that became 'Stop Making Sense'. I've got a tape of one of the whole shows somewhere, which i think is better than what they picked for the album.

Just now, fightoffyour said:

Alligator -> Boxer -> High Violet -> Trouble Will Find Me -> Sleep Well Beast

Hold On Now Youngster -> We Are Beautiful, We Are Doomed -> Romance Is Boring -> Hello Sadness -> No Blues -> Sick Scenes

I had Trouble Will Find Me on last night after I made this post weirdly. It is good, I need to go through the rest of their stuff. I doubt it'll live up to Talking Heads for me though.

I don't know any of Los Campesinos' stuff at all. I'll give one of their albums a listen today.

Just now, Odessa said:

I had Trouble Will Find Me on last night after I made this post weirdly. It is good, I need to go through the rest of their stuff. I doubt it'll live up to Talking Heads for me though.

I don't know any of Los Campesinos' stuff at all. I'll give one of their albums a listen today.

LC! I feel like maybe you had to grow up with them to especially like the older stuff. As a newcomer I'd certainly start in reverse chronological order though.

The National's run I do feel is very very strong, but they are my favourite band...Or that's why they're my favourite band?? 

18 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

nah, not really - but as i'm experienced with Byrne's solo stuff it's much as I expected it to be.

I'll give it a few more spins in the next month before I go and see him, but it might never get played again after that. 

Fair enough, I'm very happy with how much TH stuff he plays anyway so at least the sets don't rely too heavily on his new stuff. And I'm sure you'll end up liking some of it even if not the album as a whole.

19 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

First time I heard Naked I immediately said "that's Johnny Marr" - and I'm still patting myself on the back for that aural recognition today  ... but it was hardly rocket science. :lol:

Hahaha nope, he's very distinctive. I dunno if I'd have got it straight away though, it's the kinda thing that I'd miss and then be amazed that I didn't notice.

21 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Nope, I never did do. :( .... I'm very jealous of Peter Gabriel who was at all 4 shows that became 'Stop Making Sense'. I've got a tape of one of the whole shows somewhere, which i think is better than what they picked for the album.

That would have been brilliant seeing all of those. I've not watched the full video of it yet, but I've seen bits and it's so good. I don't usually care to watch recordings of live shows but I'll have to watch all of Stop Making Sense at some point for sure.

14 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

@Odessa - you might like this raved-up version of 'I Zimbra', if you've not seen it before. It's the version that got played at Glastonbury, in (I think it was) 1998 when Byrne headlined Jazzwortld (now West Holts).

Was there meant to be a link here? :P I love I Zimbra. When I hear it though, I can't not hear this song from a few years ago that has totally ripped it off (skip to 2:20). 

26 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

LC! I feel like maybe you had to grow up with them to especially like the older stuff. As a newcomer I'd certainly start in reverse chronological order though.

Yeah I get what you mean. Didn't they go on tour with The Cribs one time? I tend to like the bands who they pick as support so I'm sure I'll like them to some extent at least! 

6 hours ago, The Nal said:

Chairman gone 20 years ago today

20 years, blimey. Saw him at the Albert Hall in 1992 - was in his mid 70s but still in great form and just as you’d hope; came on stage to little fanfare and straight into ‘Come Fly With Me’. Shame he never did Glastonbury - would have been one of the ultimate Sunday legends.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just remembered this one, so thought I'd listen to it and watch the footage. Just look at the bloke at about 2.16 to 2.17 onwards. He evidently can't contain himself - much to the disdain of his partner!  I'm so sorry that I find it funny. Do you think that 'God' will smite me? Anyway, enough of that bollocks, here it is;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSQjx79dR8s

• 2 weeks later...