Sziget Festival 2018

#1SzigetFan

1 hour ago, thetime said:

One less day for the 2019 festival, 7th - 13th Aug. 

Is there any source for that?
Booking apartments already ?
UPD: nevermind, I can see it on site! Thanks! I wonder is festival really becoming shorter or they just finally counted the days without the leaving one...

Edited by Mondo-kun

On 7/31/2018 at 9:45 AM, Yelo, the Parmiggiana said:

Quick thoughts about the selling: 

- The 3days option introduced last year (because they were about to break for the low sellings) has been a bomb, saved the sellings last year and showed to be super efficient. Could be that the management realizes that the price for a 7days are too expensive for the average goer (not from the northern europe)? Could be that they wil focus onto 3days sections of the week, creating a continuum between the span of days?

- The most selling day so far is Shawn Mendes-Kygo, which is shit. AM would have been the best one by far but the last album is a bummer for the average listener and The War on Drugs is a classy pick, so I dont expect it to sell out so easily. This, in my opinion, goes in two directions: the first, thematic days, as I expect that Bastille-Mumford and Sons (drawing the same audience) will sell more than LykkeLi-Kendrick Lamar, although Kendrick is a most relevant pick and Mumford being on tour everywhere last year; the second, last year, despite being the most critical condemned lineup has been the second most selling year ever. Probably Sziget wins at lineup management by calling to perform lazy acts as Shawn Mendes (but more than that, Bastille or Kygo), probably a party-festival the way Sziget is meant to be cannot co-exist without Instagram performers in those years.

Any opinion?

what exactly makes Shawn Mendes a "lazy act"?

4 hours ago, rzwodezwo said:

what exactly makes Shawn Mendes a "lazy act"?

IMO (I think that it has to be stressed) acts like Shawn Mendes and Bastille brings nothing of value to the artistic side of the festival being basically pop acts that kill the variety of the festival, so, lazy pick. Kygo, on the other side, on a main stage poor of EDM this year wasn't a lazy pick, although I would have preferred some other DJ of the kind. 

I'm not saying that lazy picks are weak picks, cause the sellings would prove me wrong. But on a different POV than the profits, nobody would dare to put a festival with Shawn Mendes and Kygo as headliners (or Dua Lipa or The Chainsmokers or Wiz Khalifa, so on and so forth) on the same level of the Rock Werchter or the Mad Cool or the Glastonbury. I think reasons why are obvious.

At the same time it looks obvious that Sziget is trying to win the race to reach the spot of big cash cow for another kind of festival - more party, wilder, more user friendly (at least at first sight). Which is good experience-wise, which is less good lineup-wise

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, EighteenSixty7 said:

Did anyone have issues with the topping up of their wristband?

Yes, some friends had problems with topping up from the app directly, so they had to go to the top up points to tell the guys from there to activate their wristband everytime they topped up from the app.

Luckily, I had a contactless Mastercard and I didn't have any issues with using that instead of the wristband. :D

Edited by #1SzigetFan

Anyway, I saw nobody doing this, but I think it is due, after a festival:

TOP 5 CONCERTS:

1) Gorillaz

2) WhoMadeWho

3) Bonobo

4) King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard

5) Arctic Monkeys (and I will get criticized for that imo lol)

Other worth the mention are: Kendrick Lamar, Willie Peyote, Everything Everything, Mumford and Sons, Slaves, Hernan Cattaneo, Motta, Little Dragon, The War on Drugs and Ben UFO!

• Upvote 2

My Top 10:

1. The Living End
  2. Liam Gallagher
  3. Mumford and Sons
  4. King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard
  5. Gorillaz
  6. Kendrick Lamar (he put into a great show IMO, despite he was so late!)
  7. Arctic Monkeys
  8. Shame
  9. Gogol Bordello
  10. Tom Grennan

Worst:

1. Nick Murphy
  2. Lykke Li
  3. Bastille
  4. Borgore
  5. ZHU "secret party"
Edited by #1SzigetFan
  • Upvote 1

In no particular order my top gigs were:

Gorillaz

King Gizzard

Slaves

Gogol Bordello

Shame

The Living End

Beans on Toast

Honourable mentions to Liam Gallagher, Mumford (dont like the music but they were great) and Everything Everything.

@Yelo, the Parmiggiana I won’t give you grief for putting Arctics in there. For my niece they were he best act of the festival but I do find Alex turner difficult to get on with. Great songs but he was wasted and came across as a total nob IMO.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

My top acts in no particular order

Arctic monkeys (I love all of their albums and them live and this was my favourite time of seeing them)

Shame (so good live, the bassist was entertaining, had to buy tickets for their tour after)

Beans on toast (great crowd, played loads of songs about the 8th time seeing him)

King Gizzard (was so looking forward to them, glad they didn't disappoint)

Liam Gallagher (loved every minute, nostalgia)

Stormzy (got there tired and hot just in time for his show, danced around our bags)

Tom Grennan (improved since I last saw him about 2 years ago)

Gogol Bordello (great party before the storm)

Wolf Alice (last 20 minutes or so as saw Liam Gallagher but just love them)

2nd time of being at Sziget and was still just just as impressed with the festival. The sound for many of the stages is some of the best I've heard but it's a shame the A38 sound is so inconsistent.

On 8/17/2018 at 8:39 PM, #1SzigetFan said:

Yes, some friends had problems with topping up from the app directly, so they had to go to the top up points to tell the guys from there to activate their wristband everytime they topped up from the app.

Luckily, I had a contactless Mastercard and I didn't have any issues with using that instead of the wristband. :D

Finally got my initial top-ups refunded but I've not got my remaining balance back yet.

Arctic Monkeys were my fav, favourite band and first time seeing them abroad. They nailed it.

Mumford were great and I'm not too big on them.

Blossoms did well in the circumstances

Lianne La Havas was good, perfect for that late afternoon sunny slot.

It's such a lovely festival and the payment method is great.

On 8/15/2018 at 3:53 PM, Yelo, the Parmiggiana said:

IMO (I think that it has to be stressed) acts like Shawn Mendes and Bastille brings nothing of value to the artistic side of the festival being basically pop acts that kill the variety of the festival, so, lazy pick. Kygo, on the other side, on a main stage poor of EDM this year wasn't a lazy pick, although I would have preferred some other DJ of the kind. 

I'm not saying that lazy picks are weak picks, cause the sellings would prove me wrong. But on a different POV than the profits, nobody would dare to put a festival with Shawn Mendes and Kygo as headliners (or Dua Lipa or The Chainsmokers or Wiz Khalifa, so on and so forth) on the same level of the Rock Werchter or the Mad Cool or the Glastonbury. I think reasons why are obvious.

At the same time it looks obvious that Sziget is trying to win the race to reach the spot of big cash cow for another kind of festival - more party, wilder, more user friendly (at least at first sight). Which is good experience-wise, which is less good lineup-wise

I think the inclusion of major pop acts is exactly what adds to the diverse lineup of Sziget. Pop, imo, doesn't get enough recognition from music festivals and I commend them at doing a better job at incorporating it than other festivals. Glastonbury, by the way, has had pop star headliners two years in a row now (Adele in 2016, Ed Sheeran last year), and generally the reaction has been quite positive.

I understand the worries about changes in how festival line-ups look these days, but pop isn't represented enough for how big it is and many people, myself included, make the transition between pop and other genres quite readily.

Edited by rzwodezwo

Went to a festival in Prague in June which used the cashless wristband idea. At that festival it was a bit of a shitshow (mainly down to none of the bar staff speaking any English - not really their fault to be fair) because of us not really grasping how it worked and that we had to keep hold of our cups etc.

At Sziget I thought it was brilliant. Must've cut down on queue times massively, you also got big peace of mind to not have to worry about carrying cash around in your shorts. Would welcome cashless at any festival going forward.

My girlfriend had a hard time locating cider at times, would've been nice to have had all the bars selling it really.

Had a brilliant time at my first Sziget overall, would definitely consider going back again with a suitable lineup to my tastes. Was hoping it was gonna join Glastonbury in the 'must attend every year' category but it didn't quite reach those heights for me - It's right on the tier below with Boomtown/Bestival though.

My top 20:

1 Gorillaz

2 King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard

3 Liam Gallagher

4 The Living End

5 Arctic Monkeys

6 Parov Stelar

7 Wolf Alice

8 Whomadewho

9 Goo Goo Dolls

10 Shame

11 Gogol Bordello

12 Slaves                       

13 War On Drugs

14 Bostich + Fussible

15 Willie Peyote

16 BCUC

17 Gomma

18 Bonobo

19 Kendrick Lamar

20 Everything Everything

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Fabrizzo said:

My top 20:

1 Gorillaz

2 King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard

3 Liam Gallagher

4 The Living End

5 Arctic Monkeys

6 Parov Stelar

7 Wolf Alice

8 Whomadewho

9 Goo Goo Dolls

10 Shame

11 Gogol Bordello

12 Slaves                       

13 War On Drugs

14 Bostich + Fussible

15 Willie Peyote

16 BCUC

17 Gomma

18 Bonobo

19 Kendrick Lamar

20 Everything Everything

Hey Fabrizzo, are you the dude who keeps down voting my every post? Why?

Seems a little strange and very childish huh. 

Incidentally I upvoted your post as I more or less agree with your list and i’m not a tit for tat arsehole.

Edited by NomadicMan

6 hours ago, NomadicMan said:

Hey Fabrizzo, are you the dude who keeps down voting my every post? Why?

Seems a little strange and very childish huh. 

Incidentally I upvoted your post as I more or less agree with your list and i’m not a tit for tat arsehole.

Of course not, as you are not the one who downvote me (along with his other friends) for a non-positive (but not offensive) judgment towards Tom Grennan ... we're not kids, right?

11 hours ago, Fabrizzo said:

Of course not, as you are not the one who downvote me (along with his other friends) for a non-positive (but not offensive) judgment towards Tom Grennan ... we're not kids, right?

I never down vote anyone buddy, in fact I find it weird that’s even a thing in a festival forum.

But anyway carry on......