Farmer Phil's

MrHew

Love to.  I've really enjoyed previous years but I'm committed to going to Green Man this year with some mates so FP will have to wait for another year.  For those who haven't been before FP's is highly recommended.

On 8/8/2017 at 1:28 PM, MrHew said:

We're heading up tomorrow. It'll be Mini Hew's first full festival. She's done a few one dayers (and we got into Glastonbury for 6 hours on the Sunday this year :ph34r:). Can't wait to see how she takes to it all.

How was it? Mates that went loved it.

Edited by Gnomicide

23 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

How was it? Mates that went loved it.

I have a friend that went to it for the first time this year and  said it was ace. That was his second festival in a row. This weekend he has got the Landed Festival,  and the following weekend Shambala. Four festivals over four weekends! Fortunately he is able to exercise restraint. Four festivals over four weekends would be the death of me. Nice suicide though.  Better than putting your head on to a railway track. Must change my 'if it all falls apart' plan.

I've been the last two and its a great little festival if you like that scene.

Music wise you could compare it to the lower half of bearded/beautiful days line up but at £80 for 3 days of music plus a full 7 days camping if you want to its good value.

£3.50 for kingston press  on draught or take your own if you decant the cans to plastic.

Its a really friendly place i've done it on my own and its hard to go 5 mins without someone starting a coversation up with you.

Also you can still camp next to your car so no carrying your gear from the carparks.

A great little festival if you like the punk/folk scene.

7 hours ago, bucko said:

I've been the last two and its a great little festival if you like that scene.

Music wise you could compare it to the lower half of bearded/beautiful days line up but at £80 for 3 days of music plus a full 7 days camping if you want to its good value.

£3.50 for kingston press  on draught or take your own if you decant the cans to plastic.

Its a really friendly place i've done it on my own and its hard to go 5 mins without someone starting a coversation up with you.

Also you can still camp next to your car so no carrying your gear from the carparks.

A great little festival if you like the punk/folk scene.

Thanks for that post. Very helpful. I'm really not in to punk, or folk, so maybe need to give this one a side swerve. Apart from the music, it sounds like a fab place. I don't actually go to festivals for the music really, but I turn in to a Daily Mail reader when I hear punk. When I hear folk music, it's OK for the first 5 - 10 minutes, and then I can't help but see smugness on the part of the performers. That kind of smugness then distorts the perception of the lyrics and music that they are performing, in to something they are probably not. I'm not sure if this understanding is a mental health issue, or a natural reaction to hearing folk music, by the majority. 

17 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Thanks for that post. Very helpful. I'm really not in to punk, or folk, so maybe need to give this one a side swerve. Apart from the music, it sounds like a fab place. I don't actually go to festivals for the music really, but I turn in to a Daily Mail reader when I hear punk. When I hear folk music, it's OK for the first 5 - 10 minutes, and then I can't help but see smugness on the part of the performers. That kind of smugness then distorts the perception of the lyrics and music that they are performing, in to something they are probably not. I'm not sure if this understanding is a mental health issue, or a natural reaction to hearing folk music, by the majority. 

9 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

From what I've seen of the lineup this year is was not 'finger in the ear folk' rather the sort of stuff you'd see at Avalon - Ferocious Dog, Gaz Brookfield and the like. 

Agree with Gnomicide - it's not old fashioned folk but more what I would call folk rock/pop.  And not even all of it is that-  it's all interspersed with loads of other stuff as well - for instance I got to see Rodney Branigan and Attila the Stockbroker - both of whom have been on my "Glastonbury to see" list but haven't managed to yet - a real bonus to see them there.  And loved Echo Town - an absolutely fantastic duo who I wouldn't know how to categorise but were energetic and certainly not folk!  And there was a bit of funk, ska, reggae, and loads of singer/guitarists (not folky) on the second stage.

It was my second time there and i love it.  Everything is so easy - no queues, not much walking, not too many decisions to make regarding where to be at any given time, friendly people, cheap beer (it's actually only £3,33 per pint if you buy tokens), no dickheads, beautiful setting, even a friendly tractor to pull us out of the mud after only a 10 minute wait!

Anyone thinking about it for next year, do it!  You won't regret it - and I'll see you there!