Done my usual thing of having a Spotify session on bands I'm not familiar with once the line up came out.

These stood out for me, reminded me of the primitives which is never a bad thing!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, thesaint78 said:

Done my usual thing of having a Spotify session on bands I'm not familiar with once the line up came out.

These stood out for me, reminded me of the primitives which is never a bad thing!

Yeh good band. They're the main reason my daughter is thinking of going this year

On 14/02/2018 at 5:08 PM, Acncfc09 said:

We’re there any secret acts last year? If so who?

15DD71B4-8B95-418D-865D-45E93A5D3E9F.png

Apologies if someone's already posted this, but after Brandon Flowers speach about Robert Smith in Vegas the other week plus their cover of Push, and given the Cure are playing their 40th birthday gig in Hyde Park the Saturday before...

For me that would be worth the entrance fee alone!

38 minutes ago, Cat Man said:

Apologies if someone's already posted this, but after Brandon Flowers speach about Robert Smith in Vegas the other week plus their cover of Push, and given the Cure are playing their 40th birthday gig in Hyde Park the Saturday before...

For me that would be worth the entrance fee alone!

Oh,  what did he say about Robert Smith?

I'm wondering if The Killers (or even just Flowers) might be involved in either the Hyde Park concert or in Robert Smith's Meltdown Festival...

35 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Oh,  what did he say about Robert Smith?

I'm wondering if The Killers (or even just Flowers) might be involved in either the Hyde Park concert or in Robert Smith's Meltdown Festival...

Its on YouTube if you wanna watch it. he made a speach about how UK bands like New Order and in particular the Cure influenced him musically growing up - massive fan of Robert Smith obviously - then they launched into a cover of Push. It just seems too perfect doesn't? And didn't the Killers play Hyde Park last summer?

Edited by Cat Man

Personally speaking I'd aim to pitch up early evening Thursday. Latitude used to be a nightmare to get to (took us 7 hours in 2015 from North Essex!) but traffic management is much better now. Thursday evening has a good vibe (though less to see perhaps than previous years) and if you're a newbie its a great time for orientating yourself and working out where everything is. We prefer 'green' camping - its further to walk to the arena, but quieter.

Hope that helps.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, neil_clarky said:

Having never been to Latitude before, when do people recommend arriving on site?

as soon as it opens on Thursday lunchtime...

I think its been sunny every time we have arrived..

Get the caravan set up, awning out, daughters tent up... and get on those ciders :D

If you are in a tent, you will be able to pick a good spot... no where is too far from the arena.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Cat Man said:

Its on YouTube if you wanna watch it. he made a speach about how UK bands like New Order and in particular the Cure influenced him musically growing up - massive fan of Robert Smith obviously - then they launched into a cover of Push. It just seems too perfect doesn't? And didn't the Killers play Hyde Park last summer?

Think it might have been Salt Lake City and not Vegas, but check it out. The gold suit is somethin else!

7 hours ago, Cat Man said:

Yeah they did play Hyde Park. Sold out show too. Does anyone remember when it sold out? It's a cool coincidence that both The Killers and The Cure were the first bands to sell out their days.

Maybe The Cure will cover Mr Brightside :P

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BlueDaze said:

as soon as it opens on Thursday lunchtime...

I think its been sunny every time we have arrived..

Get the caravan set up, awning out, daughters tent up... and get on those ciders :D

If you are in a tent, you will be able to pick a good spot... no where is too far from the arena.

Couldn’t agree more, I love the arrivals day of any festival, get in as early as possible, set up, crack open the ciders and chill in the sun. 

Anyone remember when the second lineup annoucement came last year- have a feelin it was April some time?

Edited by Cat Man

1 hour ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Yeah they did play Hyde Park. Sold out show too. Does anyone remember when it sold out? It's a cool coincidence that both The Killers and The Cure were the first bands to sell out their days.

Maybe The Cure will cover Mr Brightside :P

Can't help thinkin we'll end up with the Ginger One strummin' along to The Man, but hey, that's one helluva thought!:D

9 hours ago, Cat Man said:

Anyone remember when the second lineup annoucement came last year- have a feelin it was April some time?

They've changed up how they usually announce this year so its anyone's guess when we get the next announcement.

Sheeran's in Sweden on the Friday and Saturday and in Germany on the Monday so the only day he'll appear is the Sunday, if at all.

On 18/02/2018 at 1:03 PM, neil_clarky said:

Having never been to Latitude before, when do people recommend arriving on site?

Yes, arriving early is good, but we turned up at lunchtime Friday last year and had no problem finding a spot for our large tent.  Arrived Friday late evening the year before and it was a bit more difficult, but certainly not impossible.  We stayed in family camping both times, and will be doing the same this year.

I arrived at 15:00 last year thanks to our lass' work :blink: (only live in Wymondham)

Can safely say we'll be heading up Thursday night/ Friday morning this year

I think we'll want to get in as soon as it opens, love all the wandering round, getting bearings etc as we're newbies to Lat. On a similar note... how tight is security here? Does it take ages to get searched, do you have to unpack all your stuff?

Glasto was a pain in the backside last year, we turned up as early as possible and had to unload all our stuff off trolleys to be searched, luckily the only 'contraband' we had was metal cutlery...! But friends arriving later were not searched as extensively and therefore got in much quicker. Tempting to turn up later if it means getting in quicker?

20 minutes ago, FestivalNewbie7 said:

I think we'll want to get in as soon as it opens, love all the wandering round, getting bearings etc as we're newbies to Lat. On a similar note... how tight is security here? Does it take ages to get searched, do you have to unpack all your stuff?

Glasto was a pain in the backside last year, we turned up as early as possible and had to unload all our stuff off trolleys to be searched, luckily the only 'contraband' we had was metal cutlery...! But friends arriving later were not searched as extensively and therefore got in much quicker. Tempting to turn up later if it means getting in quicker?

Good choice getting there early, we always try (will be our 9th year) and generally it's easy to get two save for two years where there were horrendous traffic issues but they have resolved these as they worked out the problem. Although camping opens about 2pm the arena opens about 5pm. Good to go in and get bearings ad admire the site. There will be a few things going on in the smaller tents.

Security wise, for the last two years we have been in family but it was never an issue in general camping, like Glastonbury used to they would stop the odd person to pull over and check. They did this to us once but all we had was 'is there any glass in there?' 'no' and then they let us go, others had to empty bags, obviously look too innocent/middle-class/middle-aged! Last year they were pulling people out of the queue at an early stage and going through there bags BUT as they had lost there place in the queue they were taken to the front so it was actually better to be searched than not.

There was one issue last year, they announced on the day before that only bags of a certain size would be allowed in the arena, smaller than virtually any day bag you have known but back-tracked after social media lost it!

It's a great festival so hope you have a great time.

I think there was a lot of security tightening last year due to the attacks in Mancester and London, we were told in the queue at Glasto not to bring in camping stoves, cutlery, cooking things etc, which led to a very irritated Mr FestivalNewbie having to go back to the car with all our 'cookable' food and cooking stuff, only to find out that we could've taken it in after all! 

We're not sure whether to just go through with a tent and a few bits, then go back for the rest later when the queues have died down. We only have Glasto to compare to so I'm expecting Lat to be less busy...

And as for the bag size... sounds like they won't try that again! 

3 hours ago, FestivalNewbie7 said:

We're not sure whether to just go through with a tent and a few bits, then go back for the rest later when the queues have died down. We only have Glasto to compare to so I'm expecting Lat to be less busy...

Given that Latitude is a lot smaller you will be parking fairly close to the entrance/wristband exchange. Then, depending on where you camp you won't be far from the entrance once inside either. once you are wrist banded there is no real queue for reentry. i tend to take the tent and a few bits in first and then go back for the rest, queue for the wristband can still be long but you will walk straight back in. 

Once, when there was a long queue we didn't take anything in initially, joined the queue and got wristbanded then went and got everything as the car was not far at all. Saved all that stop start in the queue with everything.

1 hour ago, jamesrfisher said:

Given that Latitude is a lot smaller you will be parking fairly close to the entrance/wristband exchange. Then, depending on where you camp you won't be far from the entrance once inside either. once you are wrist banded there is no real queue for reentry. i tend to take the tent and a few bits in first and then go back for the rest, queue for the wristband can still be long but you will walk straight back in. 

Once, when there was a long queue we didn't take anything in initially, joined the queue and got wristbanded then went and got everything as the car was not far at all. Saved all that stop start in the queue with everything.

Thanks for the tips! We might do just that then. The stop start shuffling in the queue with trolleys is a bit of a pain so I think we'll just take in the tent, pitch up, and then go back for all the booze, ahem, I mean everything else!

decided to buy on the payment plan today so i'll be heading to my first latitude this year.

Headliners aren't anything special but theres some decent acts lower down the bill so im looking forward to it

• Upvote 1

So with all the focus on comedy and theatre, does that mean there is less music at Latitude compared to similarly sized festivals. i.e less music stages? 

1 minute ago, sam1981 said:

So with all the focus on comedy and theatre, does that mean there is less music at Latitude compared to similarly sized festivals. i.e less music stages? 

There are 5 stages dedicated purely to music: Obelisk, BBC, Sunrise, Alcove and BBC Introducing. Then the Film and Music tent will play host to a few acts as well as talks and films. Theatre, comedy, cabaret and speakeasy all have their own dedicated stages. As far as I'm aware 5 music stages is about standard for festivals of a similar size.