12 minutes ago, FestivalNewbie7 said:

I'm excited for James Acaster too :) disappointed with the comedy line up compared to last year's, but there doesn't seem to be any music crossover with the other 2 festivals I'm going to so that's good :)

Will need to listen to some of the undercard to see which I'd like to see. 

For sure, I think I can safely rule out going this year though - although if Reading is an utter disappointment, I might go to Latitude again just because I love it as a festival regardless of whether or not my weekend is stacked with acts I want to see.

So I think they've balanced the lineup a bit better than in recent years, but the Latitude Festival I know and love is officially dead.

I used to describe Latitude as 'Glastonbury with the shitty pop removed'. Not sure I can say that anymore. 

Booking bands like the Killers and Rag N Bone Man changes the whole atmosphere of a festival. It invites a completely different calibre of people, who unfortunately are much less likely to be considerate of others - the very thing I used to go to Latitude to avoid.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Bridget Christie tho. Nice work.

I've never been but would echo the sentiment that the undercard seems to be really good for people who are properly into their music but they just have the headliners to pull in the part timers. That lineup as a whole with killers headlining just looks really off. To be honest its probably more a reflection of the sheer lack of viable headline bands out there that you can't pull together a cohesive lineup where the headliners and the undercard complement each other.

Alt J headlined bluedot last year which is a lot smaller than latitude so that seems pretty weak as well. They've obviously had to spend shed loads on the killers, but they will be worth it commerically as they'll bring in loads of people.

1 minute ago, FlaviusMaximus said:

So I think they've balanced the lineup a bit better than in recent years, but the Latitude Festival I know and love is officially dead.

I used to describe Latitude as 'Glastonbury with the shitty pop removed'. Not sure I can say that anymore. 

Booking bands like the Killers and Rag N Bone Man changes the whole atmosphere of a festival. It invites a completely different calibre of people, who unfortunately are much less likely to be considerate of others - the very thing I used to go to Latitude to avoid.

I'd argue that The 1975, Mumford and Sons and Fatboy Slim may have bought the calibre of clientele that you refer to but I didn't notice a huge shift in the demographic last year. I think this line up is a great all rounder, plenty there for all tastes which maintains a nice diverse crowd.

• Like 1

Wow, awful lineup. We’ve been the last 3 years, and it’s been getting progressively worse.

I loved The Killers 8 years ago but they’re now a karaoke act (and missing 2 guitarists), Solange isn’t a headliner, and Alt-J don’t have a lot of stage presence, will be like PSB last year. 

Agree that Mogwai, Charlatans and James will be great, and the BBC tent has a great atmosphere, but generally not strong enough for a weekend.

Shame really, was a unique combination of well-curated art in the widest sense. Please try harder next year!!! : )

2 minutes ago, suttttttt said:

I'd argue that The 1975, Mumford and Sons and Fatboy Slim may have bought the calibre of clientele that you refer to but I didn't notice a huge shift in the demographic last year. I think this line up is a great all rounder, plenty there for all tastes which maintains a nice diverse crowd.

I'm mainly comparing with 10 years ago to be fair, when the headliners included Sigur Ros, Interpol, Amadou & Mariam and The Mars Volta. It was a genuine alternative to the mainstream festivals at the time. 

It has been a slow creep in this direction over the years. I remember happily watching Midlake a few years back, with the Temper Trap to follow. I'm not going to make any particular judgement on the Temper Trap's music but before Midlake finished, an absolute horde of noisy teenagers started trying to push to the front and completely ruined the atmosphere. I guess you have to just put up with it at a large festival, but to be honest I'd rather just find a nicer festival nowadays. Which makes me very sad because I love the place.

1 minute ago, FlaviusMaximus said:

I'm mainly comparing with 10 years ago to be fair, when the headliners included Sigur Ros, Interpol, Amadou & Mariam and The Mars Volta. It was a genuine alternative to the mainstream festivals at the time. 

It has been a slow creep in this direction over the years. I remember happily watching Midlake a few years back, with the Temper Trap to follow. I'm not going to make any particular judgement on the Temper Trap's music but before Midlake finished, an absolute horde of noisy teenagers started trying to push to the front and completely ruined the atmosphere. I guess you have to just put up with it at a large festival, but to be honest I'd rather just find a nicer festival nowadays. Which makes me very sad because I love the place.

I cant comment on how it was years ago but I totally get your point. I just think in the grand scheme of things, there are much worse festivals you could attend for noisy and obnoxious teens.

I think overall its a good lineup, though I agree that Wolf Alice are a bigger deal than Solange and that billing makes little sense. The Killers balance that out though, huge booking for Latitude even if they are playing quite a few other places this summer. There’s certainly enough there that I’d have a good weekend as the undercard is quite appealing but none of the big names are that exciting for me. 

22 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

I think overall its a good lineup, though I agree that Wolf Alice are a bigger deal than Solange and that billing makes little sense. The Killers balance that out though, huge booking for Latitude even if they are playing quite a few other places this summer. There’s certainly enough there that I’d have a good weekend as the undercard is quite appealing but none of the big names are that exciting for me. 

Aye, there's some cracking names on the undercard and The Killers are a hell of a strong booking. Might not be everyone's cup of tea, but they're the sort of band who have enough obvious hits/live polish that if you end up in the field, you'll at least tap your toe along.

This is the best initial line up announcement Latitude has done, they've done a cracking job getting so many big names to perform. It's just annoying that the day splits haven't been announced. Looking forward to more comedy announcements too. 

Lineup seems to be overall well received. 

Plenty of room for improvement, and i suspect there will be a few guest slots too like normal, good foundations with potential to be a solid lineup. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FestivalJamie said:

Seems to be going down pretty well on social media!

I think the music line up this year is quite strong, however the comedy line up is very weak. If it wasn't such an expensive weekend I would totally be down for it!(although would have been nice to see Lana/Chvrches/Florence in there too to make it that little bit stronger)

I agree regarding comedy but by the sounds of it there are many more announcements to come 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dentalplan said:

I predict that I'm not gonna be arsed about the headliners or much of the main stage, the comedians will be the same ones they always have, and the lower music stages are gonna be actually really quite strong but it turns out all the best acts clash.

Nailed this by the way. The lower stages are even stronger than I expected however.

5 minutes ago, FestivalNewbie7 said:

As an aside, what are the 'late night DJs' areas like? Lots to choose from? Variety of music? Full of teenagers? 

awful

2 minutes ago, WMWMOfficial said:

So there will be more music acts to be announced right?

yeah quite a lot more going on previous years

2 hours ago, FlaviusMaximus said:

What ‘calibre’ of people are you referring to that can’t posibly like the killers and rag n bone man whilst being nice people?

8 minutes ago, Smeble said:

What ‘calibre’ of people are you referring to that can’t posibly like the killers and rag n bone man whilst being nice people?

I can't speak for Rag n Bone man but I imagine Killers fans to be reasonably considerate (myself hopefully included!). I tidy up all my rubbish, don't get really drunk and share my cider! :)

You know what? If I was being hyper critical, I'd say the initial announcement is solid, but a lil unspectacular. And the headliners are not getting my juices going. However.....its kinda like last years general election result. After the previous one, you kinda expect the worst of disappointments. But, even though, I guess, technically, it's a loss, it FEELS like a win. 

Is there a festival that we're worse at predicting than Latitude? Every year we all end up predicting the same 5 or 6 acts and at most one of them ends up headlining. 

2 hours ago, Hawky said:

I think it's cracking, me.

Yeah, pretty decent I reckon. Looking forward to the Killers and after that I agree the good stuff's on the undercard - Breeders, Wolf Alice, Mogwai, Alvvays, Black Honey. Bit surprised they've got alt-j back again so soon, particularly for a festival that always took pride in avoiding repeat headliners. That doesn't sit comfortably considering some of the other acts who could have stepped up to headline (Wolf Alice case in point).

5 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

Is there a festival that we're worse at predicting than Latitude? Every year we all end up predicting the same 5 or 6 acts and at most one of them ends up headlining. 

Bestival, but that's because they have dumb headliners like Sean Paul and Missy Elliot 

I think this is a good line up. The Killers will shift tickets, Solange is an interesting choice as headliner (perhaps Latitude trying to ensure they can defend any lack of diversity arguments) albeit Wolf Alice or Rag N Bone Man could have easily filled the slot. Alt-J an odd choice considering they headlined so recently but they are very 'Latitude' imo. There's a strong undercard musically and very much my cup of tea. Suspect I'll have plenty of clashes this year.

Edit: Forgot to say that yay for 2 of the best Oz bands out there playing. Gang of Youths produced one of the finest albums of last year (Go Farther In Lightness) which hasn't had that much profile in the UK even although in their homeland it was an award winner / no.1 and Confidence Man for stupid dance moves and cartoon pop silliness. Both very different but both very good.

Edited by rseamer