Latitude 2018

funky squaredance

15 hours ago, Funktownbro said:

Why on earth are you bringing race into it ? You strange person..... Get with the program, we're talking music genres...... Can't believe I even bothered to answer

Christ, it's like I summoned him - 

16 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Solange headlining is bullshit....she has that spot purely because of who her sister is and nothing else.

• Downvote 1

Just back from Latitude. I am a big James fan but all my group (another 8 people) wanted to watch Solange so I decided to do so too (as I have seen James about 8 times over the years). There was a very noticeably small crowd. We lasted 20 minutes. Fantastic stage set up but in our opinion the songs just aren't of a high enough quality and they didn't keep us engaged. Latitude tried something different and it failed imho.

We all went to the tent and watched James (who, to be fair, also weren't as good as I've seen them in the past).

4 hours ago, Mash011 said:

Christ, it's like I summoned him - 

@Funktownbro he's a knob bud just ignore him. He's got a mime more a profile pic which apparently is racist too which I'm sure my white and black friends would agree.

And thinks because I don't think Solange is getting her slot off her own back that it's racism against her!....my god there is white groups....not that it matters what you are, that I've thought how are you that high but I'm probably racism against my own colour tbh. 

• Upvote 1

Couldnt go this year, id been with the family 2015-2017, and actually really missed it. It was my daughters transition week from primary to high school so we couldn't go. We also felt the age the kids were at last year, 8 and 10, meant that a they were too old for a lot of the kids areas but a bit young for the inbetweeners area and we spent most of the Sunday walking aimlessly around the site as there wasn't enough music for them.

This year would have been so much different as there was so much music on the lineup my kids enjoy, so im thinking we may return next year, especially if Chvrches are one of the headliners.

So, just back from Latitude and am pretty amazed at the posts on this page. Need to vent my spleen, so bare with....

First off, just to tell you a bit about where I'm coming from in case you think I have a particular agenda: I'm a 53 y.o. v. happily married family man with what some people would call a 'good job', born and bred in Suffolk. My parents were both racist homosphobes, bless them, for which they can't really be blamed given they were educated to think that way. They tried to bring me up in same vein, but then I discovered Bowie and The Clash (all white guys ironically) and discovered there was a better way to be. And then of course I went to away to Uni and became (

not as great a pull as Ben Kingsley and the lads at these places

Just back myself. Can't say if solange worked or not because I had no interest in seeing her, however most random people I spoke to who had gone to see her said that they wandered off after a while. It's nothing to do with who Solange is or who her relations are surely.  Latitude tried something and it didn't work for Latitude.  At other places James wold gp down like a bunch of middle age contrary dad dancers whilst Solange would smash it. So to start saying about quotas or any nonsense like that is to muddy the waters. Wolf Alice smashed it for me, Killers not at all. RIchard Adyeoade so popolar queues were forming an hour before so I wandered to comedy bit and me - middle aged white bloke- didnt like ehat was being said. I moved on. Doesnt make me homophobic *I hope* it just means that i didnt like that one acr.Who knows what's going to work until it's tried. 

23 minutes ago, danmarks said:

RIchard Adyeoade so popolar queues were forming an hour before s

If its a comfort, you didn't miss much. I was already in the tent, and when it started filling up I foolishly thought I should hang around for what looked like a hot ticket. Well, it was certainly hot - unbearably so - and while he was perfectly pleasant and quite good fun he answered most questions with "I don't know" and said very little of genuine interest. A generally uninspired hour I regretted bothering with

Just back from Latitude and am pretty amazed at some of the posts on this page. Need to vent my spleen, so bare with....

First off, just to tell you a bit about where I'm coming from in case you think I have a particular agenda: I'm a 53 y.o. v. happily married family man with what some people would call a 'good job', born and bred in Suffolk. My parents were both racist homophobes, bless them, for which they can't really be blamed given they were educated to think that way. They tried to bring me up in same vein, but then I discovered Bowie and The Clash (all white guys ironically) and discovered there was a better way to be. And then of course I went to away to Uni and found Sonic Youth and Nirvana (white guys who were openly feminist - WOW!) and the rest is history.

I HATE hearing about 'genres' (thanks Apple for neatly pigeon-holing everything we buy) so when I hear phrases like "white boy indie rock band" and "not as great a pull as Ben Kingsley and the lads at these places" you'll understand why it pisses me off. I read an article on the BBC a couple of weeks ago that said something like, "Should music and politics ever mix?"- Jesus F-ing Christ!! So I love guitar driven music (indie, rock and blues if you must call it something) - its just in my gut - but I listen to, and respect, pretty much any music- it just has to say something. Hands up, I don't know much about Solange, but if she speaks about important shit thru her music she deserves a voice, wherever that may be.

My Latitude experience this year included Deap Vally, Breeders, Wolf Alice and Idles, all of whom are bang on the money in terms of actual RELEVANCE. And yes, Idles are a bunch of white guys from Bristol (shock, horror!) on an independent record label with more to say about the state of our country right now than anybody.  Let me tell you, it was one hell of an experience being in that mosh pit for one hour with some of the nicest, smartest  men and women, boys and girls, you could ever meet - all ages, one common purpose - and it TOTALLY made my festival. The band were 100% white, the crowd (as far as I could see) was 100% white, but who gives a shit? What matters is what people believe in and what they actually do about it.

And one final thing- thanks FR for promising an icon and giving as Liam Gallagher. Would have been nice if he could have been arsed to sing a song with the Killers rather than merely gracing us with his presence. But what really grated what was the demographic of some of that crowd that flocked to the 6 Music. And I actually heard these words, from a guy who was just leaving the tent when it was over - "we've got a gay guy works in our office, but he plays that guitar and to be honest you'd almost think he was normal."

Thanks Trump, Farage and all the rest of you, for giving me back the same goddam anger I had when I was listening to the Clash in Thatcher’s Britain all those years ago..

Mixed review of Latitude, bearing in mind this was our Glasto substitute for the year. The good:

Extremely fast parking, quick getting in, setting up, and camping in the red field, very close to everything. Hardly any rubbish in the arenas (I guess due to cup reuse and bottle exchange). No real queues for anything. Food stalls excellent. Favourite acts were Rachel Parris (comedy), QI, Jeremy Loops and Oh My God! It's The Church. Loved the pop/indie after hours dance areas! Felt very safe and didn't see any problems. Would've been a great festival to take drugs as no searching whatsoever! Alas, alcohol is our drug of choice and it's a bit more difficult to slip a bottle of wine down your bra.

The not so good:

Might just be me (32 year old female, no kids) but it felt like the festival was primarily groups of image conscious 16-18 year olds, and "2.4 children" families. At some points it felt like I'd gatecrashed a wedding, which isn't a bad thing, but everyone was in large groups and we felt like the couple who didn't know anyone! At Glasto we went as a couple but it didn't matter, it felt like one big happy family but here, whilst everyone was pleasant enough, no-one really wanted to talk to people outside their party. Or maybe they just didn't want to talk to us :S as newbies, we also found the fact the stages/areas completely mixed up the genres of music they showcased a bit confusing. Plus, major sound clash from the big stages. 

I think I'd return, but maybe in 15 years with kids - I think I'm just not the target market for Latitude right now. Maybe Bestival or Shambala next year :)

I hope everyone enjoyed their festival :)

2 minutes ago, FestivalNewbie7 said:

Mixed review of Latitude, bearing in mind this was our Glasto substitute for the year. The good:

Extremely fast parking, quick getting in, setting up, and camping in the red field, very close to everything. Hardly any rubbish in the arenas (I guess due to cup reuse and bottle exchange). No real queues for anything. Food stalls excellent. Favourite acts were Rachel Parris (comedy), QI, Jeremy Loops and Oh My God! It's The Church. Loved the pop/indie after hours dance areas! Felt very safe and didn't see any problems. Would've been a great festival to take drugs as no searching whatsoever! Alas, alcohol is our drug of choice and it's a bit more difficult to slip a bottle of wine down your bra.

The not so good:

Might just be me (32 year old female, no kids) but it felt like the festival was primarily groups of image conscious 16-18 year olds, and "2.4 children" families. At some points it felt like I'd gatecrashed a wedding, which isn't a bad thing, but everyone was in large groups and we felt like the couple who didn't know anyone! At Glasto we went as a couple but it didn't matter, it felt like one big happy family but here, whilst everyone was pleasant enough, no-one really wanted to talk to people outside their party. Or maybe they just didn't want to talk to us :S as newbies, we also found the fact the stages/areas completely mixed up the genres of music they showcased a bit confusing. Plus, major sound clash from the big stages. 

I think I'd return, but maybe in 15 years with kids - I think I'm just not the target market for Latitude right now. Maybe Bestival or Shambala next year :)

I hope everyone enjoyed their festival :)

I'm 53 and was there with my gorgeous wife- dyed my beard pink and wore a pink Afro (until the heat got unbearable). Made LOTS of new new friends of all ages. We would have talked to you!!

Good to know about Richard a. I know what you mean about friendly but not much chat (went with mates and their family but mooched off alone during the day). Stall holder was chatting and she was saying it was her first and last time.  She was selling second hand books and cds and a few shirts.  Said she sold more the week before at a 2,500 crowd folk festival. It was a lovely weekend but had no audience for her. That was probably the longest conversation I had with someone I didn't know. Maybe it's a regional thing? . I talk to any bugger tho. Definitely not much conversations in campsites. Felt I got politely closed down a few times.  Luckily sun was shining so I could just sit and watch the world go by. If wet it could have been very different.

26 minutes ago, Cat Man said:

I'm 53 and was there with my gorgeous wife- dyed my beard pink and wore a pink Afro (until the heat got unbearable). Made LOTS of new new friends of all ages. We would have talked to you!!

God, just read that back and it sound pretty weird!!!

Hopefully you get the point I was trying to make. ?

Had a lovely Latitude, i’m done about 7 now, mainly because lots of my friends go and it’s just a nice place to be. Have enjoyed different line-ups over the years a varying amount (kraftwerk, bloc party, foals was my favourite).

I just don’t think Latitude know what it wants to be and to whom. The change in musical style (pretty well described by the name changing 6music to bbc music stage last year) has continued. I want diversity in line-up headliners and I applaud what Latitude we’re trying to do... but it has to be music that people want to see and it wasn’t (for me and most others). 

A festival with Liam Gallagher (who was fine) as iconic special guest, a carlsberg tent that looked a bit like V festival, the lack of decent ales, the new queuing like cattle system at the bar... just lessens a bit of latitude’s charm for me.

I’m still not sure about the model of a big headliner on the Saturday. I hate mumfords so it really annoyed me last year, I like the killers (though have seen them many times) so I was happier this year. If they get say Arcade Fire next year then great but it feels a bit like putting all your eggs in one basket... leaving me feel like the undercard is not as it was.

Still, had a great time... but probably more in spite of the line-up than because of it. Visually the site looks better each year

2 hours ago, Cat Man said:

Just back from Latitude and am pretty amazed at some of the posts on this page. Need to vent my spleen, so bare with....

First off, just to tell you a bit about where I'm coming from in case you think I have a particular agenda: I'm a 53 y.o. v. happily married family man with what some people would call a 'good job', born and bred in Suffolk. My parents were both racist homophobes, bless them, for which they can't really be blamed given they were educated to think that way. They tried to bring me up in same vein, but then I discovered Bowie and The Clash (all white guys ironically) and discovered there was a better way to be. And then of course I went to away to Uni and found Sonic Youth and Nirvana (white guys who were openly feminist - WOW!) and the rest is history.

I HATE hearing about 'genres' (thanks Apple for neatly pigeon-holing everything we buy) so when I hear phrases like "white boy indie rock band" and "not as great a pull as Ben Kingsley and the lads at these places" you'll understand why it pisses me off. I read an article on the BBC a couple of weeks ago that said something like, "Should music and politics ever mix?"- Jesus F-ing Christ!! So I love guitar driven music (indie, rock and blues if you must call it something) - its just in my gut - but I listen to, and respect, pretty much any music- it just has to say something. Hands up, I don't know much about Solange, but if she speaks about important shit thru her music she deserves a voice, wherever that may be.

My Latitude experience this year included Deap Vally, Breeders, Wolf Alice and Idles, all of whom are bang on the money in terms of actual RELEVANCE. And yes, Idles are a bunch of white guys from Bristol (shock, horror!) on an independent record label with more to say about the state of our country right now than anybody.  Let me tell you, it was one hell of an experience being in that mosh pit for one hour with some of the nicest, smartest  men and women, boys and girls, you could ever meet - all ages, one common purpose - and it TOTALLY made my festival. The band were 100% white, the crowd (as far as I could see) was 100% white, but who gives a shit? What matters is what people believe in and what they actually do about it.

And one final thing- thanks FR for promising an icon and giving as Liam Gallagher. Would have been nice if he could have been arsed to sing a song with the Killers rather than merely gracing us with his presence. But what really grated what was the demographic of some of that crowd that flocked to the 6 Music. And I actually heard these words, from a guy who was just leaving the tent when it was over - "we've got a gay guy works in our office, but he plays that guitar and to be honest you'd almost think he was normal."

Thanks Trump, Farage and all the rest of you, for giving me back the same goddam anger I had when I was listening to the Clash in Thatcher’s Britain all those years ago..

I genuinely don't understand why you're pissed off at what I said. Or what anyone has said really.

Nobody is saying you (or anyone else at Latitude) are a racist for liking any predominantly white bands, or a misogynist for liking any all-male bands. All that was being suggested is that at Latitude and music festivals in general there is a tendency for bands that are predominantly "white boys with guitars" as headliners, so a different style/race/gender is quite welcome and inclusive (not that it necessarily guided their choice for Solange, who is a hugely critically acclaimed artist in her own right) whereas The Vaccines - proposed as an alternative headliner to Solange - is not.

Edited by dentalplan

Its only a festival... enjoy it. Have respect for others but have some fun..

The good :

Friday : Gang of Youths, La Femme, the marvellous TuneYards, Confidence Man and Bessie Turner

Saturday : Juanita Stein, Alvvays (sorry Parquet Courts but they started first), Liam (he is a complete cock but it was a good set), Breeders (best of the festival) and the over the top Killers Show.. (every festival should have one)

Sunday : Superorganism,  Idles and Wolf Alice. (i think the heat and the drinking had caught up with me by Sunday and i couldnt be arsed)

As mentioned earlier, getting in / getting out / getting about is well easy.

Food was soooooo much better than the last couple of years.. Best i have experienced at a festival actually..

Bad :

It was mobbed on Saturday (must have been close to the 40k capacity?) and the festival copes badly with it... a nightmare getting a drink, something to eat or taking a piss...

The reusable cups are an absolute winner... but please give us something better to put in them..poor beer choices.

Very observant point about 'gatecrashing a wedding'... i had not really noticed it before but it is a bit difficult having a conversation with a randomer... which is a shame.

regards the Solange debate... I am not particularly a fan but i like the fact that Latitude are always willing to give young talent a go... and if it doesnt work, they keep on trying...

overall : Enjoying 13 acts over 3 days makes it value for money in my book..

10 hours ago, Cat Man said:

I think maybe we should've camped in Green... is that where you were? Maybe more people willing to chat to their neighbours. We did try... my husband more so than me, he helped a young lad put up his tent next to us, and carried some bags for a couple of blokes who were struggling without a trolley. Also some polite conversation with our neighbours about borrowing a mallet (!). 

I agree with Latitude maybe not knowing what it wants to be. I was surprised to see so many teenagers there... I'm not sure what attracts them, apart from the freedom and lack of security/searching. The music seemed geared more towards indie nostalgia (which I liked!) and modern rockpop than current chart music. 

Food was outstanding - the Tibetan stall, Happy Maki vegan sushi and a beef burger place that took a while to make but was worth every second. 

Another vote for Gang of Youths... once their sound engineer had sorted out the vocals and click track!

Didn't see Solange, we opted for James... and was disappointed they didn't sing their biggest hit! 

Honestly, I didn't mean to start this whole horrible and stupid racism thing, all I was doing was trying to juggle the main stage top end without bringing anyone else in because I didn't want to go into working out availability and didn't really think about how it would look - in light of day I don't even think the Vaccines are Latitude headline material in 2018, really. Pharrell/NERD were at Lovebox on Saturday, that would have worked.

The 2 important issues of the weekend were:

1) Who thought it was OK to allow Carlsberg to do the beer? Shocking selection. Odd too seeing as they had such a good food selection. 

2) What was that funny wonky barrier about on the BBC music stage? 

Other than that it was an amazing festival. 

1 hour ago, SweepingTheNation said:

Honestly, I didn't mean to start this whole horrible and stupid racism thing, all I was doing was trying to juggle the main stage top end without bringing anyone else in because I didn't want to go into working out availability and didn't really think about how it would look - in light of day I don't even think the Vaccines are Latitude headline material in 2018, really. Pharrell/NERD were at Lovebox on Saturday, that would have worked.

Nah, don't worry about it mate, you didn't start anything. Really is best not to get involved at all. As Dental has said, nobody ever accused anybody of racism, some users have taken upon themselves to rant about it unprompted.

9 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Nah, don't worry about it mate, you didn't start anything. Really is best not to get involved at all. As Dental has said, nobody ever accused anybody of racism, some users have taken upon themselves to rant about it unprompted.

Sorry, but in these sad old times dropping a phrase like 'white boy indie band' into the mix is not cool, however noble the intention behind it. If I was to mirror that phrase to describe, say, the grime scene, there would quite rightly be be outrage.

No biggy, though, I shouldn't have lost my rag like I did. Apologies for that.

12 hours ago, dentalplan said:

I genuinely don't understand why you're pissed off at what I said. Or what anyone has said really.

Nobody is saying you (or anyone else at Latitude) are a racist for liking any predominantly white bands, or a misogynist for liking any all-male bands. All that was being suggested is that at Latitude and music festivals in general there is a tendency for bands that are predominantly "white boys with guitars" as headliners, so a different style/race/gender is quite welcome and inclusive (not that it necessarily guided their choice for Solange, who is a hugely critically acclaimed artist in her own right) whereas The Vaccines - proposed as an alternative headliner to Solange - is not.

Good post, thanks, Dentalplan. Anyone whose read any of posts on this site will know I'm 100% behind equality and diversity on festival lineups, but see my response to GETTOFFAMYLAWN above. I know that no-one on this site would be intentionally racist, I wasn't accusing anyone of that, it was a clumsy choice of words, though.

3 hours ago, FestivalNewbie7 said:

I think maybe we should've camped in Green... is that where you were? Maybe more people willing to chat to their neighbours. We did try... my husband more so than me, he helped a young lad put up his tent next to us, and carried some bags for a couple of blokes who were struggling without a trolley. Also some polite conversation with our neighbours about borrowing a mallet (!). 

I agree with Latitude maybe not knowing what it wants to be. I was surprised to see so many teenagers there... I'm not sure what attracts them, apart from the freedom and lack of security/searching. The music seemed geared more towards indie nostalgia (which I liked!) and modern rockpop than current chart music. 

Food was outstanding - the Tibetan stall, Happy Maki vegan sushi and a beef burger place that took a while to make but was worth every second. 

Another vote for Gang of Youths... once their sound engineer had sorted out the vocals and click track!

Didn't see Solange, we opted for James... and was disappointed they didn't sing their biggest hit! 

Yes, we were in Green. i''m sorry you had the experience you did because it doesn't reflect our own experience over the years, but if you were in red or yellow camping particularly I do get where you're coming from. I think you were just unlucky if you felt the lineup was 'indie nostalgia': aside from the Killers and Breeders we didn't see anyone over the weekend who might fit that moniker, but you do have to seek out some of the smaller stages to find some of the 'fresher' stuff, if I can call it that. Give it another go maybe!???