Latitude 2018

funky squaredance

3 hours ago, Flaminglippy said:

Brian Wilson for the secret set maybe? In Canada on the Sunday but presumably could do a Friday or maybe even Saturday set with the time difference.

Veeeeeeery excited about this now. Trying very not to mention it in every conversation I have but failing miserably. Plus the forecast is looking good as it stands at the minute.

Glad it’s not just me! I do have a worry that the secret set is going to be Beyoncé after all, ever since the words ‘huge artist’ and ‘iconic’ got bandied about. Don’t get me wrong, I have no issue with Beyoncé; just no interest in seeing her perform. Given some of the other names mentioned, it would be a real letdown

1 hour ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Do the timings all get announced in a progarmme when you get there, and is it small enough to carry around ?

The programmes used to be amazing. You could pre-order one and it would arrive with your tickets, giving you chance to really check out everything going on and get your plan together weeks before the festival. They cost £10 but we're well worth it as it was a quality product. They were small in size (about 15x15cm) but bulky thickness.

I didn't go last year but I'm not sure they still do a physical version (maybe they still sell them onsite). But the app has all the same info, should have times added this week and will be completely up to date.

Regards the 'iconic' secret surprise this year. I have a feeling it might be Florence & her machine. She has previous with Latitude and has a break in her tour after the Germany gig on the Friday so would be free Saturday or Sunday.

This is only my guess, not my desire. I'd rather it was any one of the other icons mentioned. But it would probably please the Latitude demographic.

2 hours ago, suttttttt said:

They tend to drip feed timings from the start of the week, starting with the main stages, however with the new PR company they might be changing things up this year. Hopefully the map will be released soon too.

They use a PR company, jeez you would never know, their PR is awful.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Glastoboy said:

The programmes used to be amazing. You could pre-order one and it would arrive with your tickets, giving you chance to really check out everything going on and get your plan together weeks before the festival. They cost £10 but we're well worth it as it was a quality product. They were small in size (about 15x15cm) but bulky thickness.

I didn't go last year but I'm not sure they still do a physical version (maybe they still sell them onsite). But the app has all the same info, should have times added this week and will be completely up to date.

Regards the 'iconic' secret surprise this year. I have a feeling it might be Florence & her machine. She has previous with Latitude and has a break in her tour after the Germany gig on the Friday so would be free Saturday or Sunday.

This is only my guess, not my desire. I'd rather it was any one of the other icons mentioned. But it would probably please the Latitude demographic.

Florence certainly has form at latitude, but us she truly ‘iconic’?

This is the problem with branding people as being 'iconic' - there are so very few that truly deserve the status and would have the vast majority's support for it.

For example, I wouldn't class The Cure/Robert Smith, Nick Cave, Bjork or The National as iconic acts but I'm sure others would.

3 minutes ago, swelsbyuk said:

This is the problem with branding people as being 'iconic' - there are so very few that truly deserve the status and would have the vast majority's support for it.

For example, I wouldn't class The Cure/Robert Smith, Nick Cave, Bjork or The National as iconic acts but I'm sure others would.

Subjective isn’t it? The only one of those four I wouldn’t call iconic are the National, although they are undoubtedly a brilliant band. I’d say you need broader appeal to be an icon, as well as possibly the ability to keep reinventing yourself 

9 hours ago, Glastoboy said:

Just worth a mention if you’re inclined towards the later DJs on a particular night double check the app with the physical program or ask the DJs on twitter. 

They’ve had problems occasionally with scheduling, I think the app gets confused by timings after midnight (ie 1-2am Friday night might be put on Saturdays schedule because technically it is) 

On 7/3/2018 at 12:12 PM, Cat Man said:

I read that the official apology from the firm running the bars was that 40% of their staff failed to turn up on the day!

I was there ? Staf numbers were low but that wasn't the main problem. 

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 1:03 PM, Funktownbro said:

The capacity is 40,000 only Saturday has sold out so far though, tickets are always late or complete shambles bit don't worry, if they don't turn up, take your confirmation emails to the box office on-site and they will sort it.

Any idea where the box office on site is - is it easyto get to in a campervan without masive queues ? Only experience I have had on needing to collect fro Box office was V where it was half hour walk round the other side of the site and half hour back and Glastyonbury where friends missed the whole of the first day driving round the opposite side of site , stuck in queus , to collect tickets, turn around and come back to the correct cv field so needless to say I'm a bit frustrated ;-)

Looking to turn up as early as possible on the Thursday - it says campsite open at 2pm, but when do the car parks open? Ie can we park up in the morning and get in a 'queue' on foot, ready for the gates to open? 

Also (and I know this is subjective) but where's best to camp? Looking at last year's map, doesn't look like it really matters, but is there anywhere to avoid (e.g. anywhere that tents get trampled or hotspots for things getting nicked).

49 minutes ago, FestivalNewbie7 said:

Looking to turn up as early as possible on the Thursday - it says campsite open at 2pm, but when do the car parks open? Ie can we park up in the morning and get in a 'queue' on foot, ready for the gates to open? 

Also (and I know this is subjective) but where's best to camp? Looking at last year's map, doesn't look like it really matters, but is there anywhere to avoid (e.g. anywhere that tents get trampled or hotspots for things getting nicked).

I honestly don't think they will let anyone in the carparks before midday and they do open the campsites early sometimes around that time too, it's all dependent on H&S checks.

As far as camping goes, yeah it's subjective, teens and noise to the front (yellow) then it gets quieter the further away from the arena entrance you go, nearer to the arena entrance, the further from your car you are, longer to carry you stuff (you can rent trollies and festaxi/golfbuggy) 

Hope that helps a bit

• Upvote 1

Thanks Funktownbro ? I think we might aim for somewhere mid way between the car parks and arena, maybe slightly closer to the arena as we have trolleys and good working legs! I only have Glasto to compare to and it can't possibly be anywhere near as far to walk with all our stuff...

Now just got to work out when to arrive... don't like the idea of sitting in our car waiting to get in, but equally I don't want to be at the back of the queue and end up with a naff camping space...

3 hours ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Any idea where the box office on site is - is it easyto get to in a campervan without masive queues ? Only experience I have had on needing to collect fro Box office was V where it was half hour walk round the other side of the site and half hour back and Glastyonbury where friends missed the whole of the first day driving round the opposite side of site , stuck in queus , to collect tickets, turn around and come back to the correct cv field so needless to say I'm a bit frustrated ;-)

I think if you don't have you campervan pass with you, you'd be able to drive into red gate 1 or 2 the box office is close to them, then you could drive across the field to meet the track for the campervan field, if not it would be a drive back out and into the brown gate 1, I'm assuming you've seen a map ? If not you can find one on Google for last year, the campsite won't change.

4 minutes ago, FestivalNewbie7 said:

Thanks Funktownbro ? I think we might aim for somewhere mid way between the car parks and arena, maybe slightly closer to the arena as we have trolleys and good working legs! I only have Glasto to compare to and it can't possibly be anywhere near as far to walk with all our stuff...

Now just got to work out when to arrive... don't like the idea of sitting in our car waiting to get in, but equally I don't want to be at the back of the queue and end up with a naff camping space...

You're welcome, I wouldn't worry too much, you'll never end up with a crap camping space, there's always loads of room, it's know where near as big and as a mad dash as Glastonbury to get a spot, compared it's a walk in the park ?

2 hours ago, FestivalNewbie7 said:

Yep, we normally go green camping cause it’s quieter. Still only around 20 mins walk from the arena. Theft has never really been a big problem at latitude apart from one year, I think it was around 2008? When a load of stuff got nicked from tents.

we aim to get there around mid afternoon to pitch tents

Edited by Cat Man

56 minutes ago, FestivalNewbie7 said:

If you are going to be there c. lunchtime on the Thursday, the walk won't be that far and its almost completely flat. Also there is tons of camping space, so you'll be in no danger of getting a naff space.  The further in you camp, while meaning a longer walk to/from your car, its closer to the 'arena', so less walking over the weekend.

Are we all getting a bit excited?  Why would they keep bands such as Pearl Jam quiet?  Festival Republic are in this to make money by selling tickets.  Keeping someone as good as them secret doesn't sell tickets.  I think we might be disappointed.

Hopefully I'm wrong, like my wife always says.

2 minutes ago, ianlash said:

Are we all getting a bit excited?  Why would they keep bands such as Pearl Jam quiet?  Festival Republic are in this to make money by selling tickets.  Keeping someone as good as them secret doesn't sell tickets.  I think we might be disappointed.

Hopefully I'm wrong, like my wife always says.

Definitely agree. If they had booked Pearl Jam they would have been announced as they wouldn't have a reason to keep them secret.

I'm gonna go with either Liam Gallagher as he has been rumored a fair bit or Iggy Pop as he had an exclusive tag at the Finsbury Park QOTSA gig which would explain why they couldn't announce him. Also both of them played at Finsbury which were run (terribly) by FR so could have easily been written into their agreement.

Liam Gallagher in the BBC tent on the Saturday before Mogwai (there are only 6 bands listed for Saturday). Then will make an appearance with Killers. 

Despite whether you like him or not the 'iconic' tag can be applied, album sales he is bigger than Noel. He is all over the place at the moment so naming him wouldn't shift many more tickets. Will also get some media buzz when he appears as the secret set.

we shall see when they give the set times shortly if there is a gap he would fit in.

Edited by jamesrfisher